“First and Last time..........”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Sydney River, Nova Scotia, Canada
“First and Last time..........”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was happy with the evening bonfire and entertainment in the Pub. Other than that, I would not recommend this money trap to anyone, way too expensive and really lacks anything worthy of calling itself a Resort unfortunately!

I was checked in promptly at 3:15 pm, check in time is 3 so the girl on the desk said oh yeah it's checkin time again already, like I surprised her or something. So she called housekeeping to see if my room would be ready...yes! yes! of course the girl told her on the walkie talkie, so she sent me down to my room. I knew it wasn't a good sign when I was pulling up to the Argyle building and two maids were smoking on the step and the room I was going into still had the vacuum in front of it and the door still wide open. I approached the room attendant and asked how much longer? she thought the room would take to be ready...she said "well however long it takes me to smoke this cigarette and finish it, to which I with blood boiling had to walk away", I sat in my very hot car waiting for her to finish of which I think she deliberatly took her sweet old time. Finally, at 420 pm, an hour later she disappeared didn't even come over and say... Sir your room is ready now or apologize for taking so long. I get in the room and it is nothing special, very musky smelling and when I took out the ice bucket to go get ice, I probably blew an inch of dust off the cover and so I washed it out myself before using it. The hot tub advertised was out of order for quite some time. There are bell staff wizzing around at all hours in golf carts going 50mph even though it is posted as a 10 mph speed limit and I was awakened first thing in the morning as they were loading busses and transporting tour bus patrons. I was very disappointed and would not recommend you stay here.
First and LAST time at Inverary Resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kyle P
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience with us Kyle P. I can assure you that this is not what that the vast majority of our guests experience when they join us at Inverary. This will be followed up on immediately and I would very much like to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Matt MacAulay
Inverary Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were traveling with friends and were all looking forward to our stay at the Inverary Resort.in Baddeck. This was our most expensive booking for our 2 week vacation and we had high hopes. Check in was pleasant and efficient but it all went down hill from there. The room was spacious but shabby. The chesterfeild had a huge stain on it and we didn't even want to use it. The carpet was old and grungie and the bathroom fixtures were old, missing parts, rusty. Yuck. Travelling with a group I did not want to kick up a fuss so we just put up with it. We went to the almost empty dining room for dinner. We should have realized, something must be up when a resort the size of the Inverary has only 1 table seated in their dining room at 6:30 in the evening. We had been driving all day and just wanted to enjoy where we were and not have to drive into town for dinner, so were glad to be seated quickly. The sommelier was good about recommending a local wine to us that we all enjoyed. The server was new and not very professional, but was very pleasant and did her best. The salad appetizers were fine. The mains, not so much. 2 of us had the lobster ravioli. It was mostly cheese was some lobster colouring. No lobster taste at all and over powered with red peppers. That evening we had asked about breakfast and were told it was very good and it was menu service.
The next morning, to our dismay, there was no menu - only buffet because they had a bus group staying with them. What kind of resort cannot efficiently handle a bus load of people for breakfast and not offer menu service to their other guests? The coffee was hot but watery. The buffet was $12 or $14, I can't remember, but it was awful. We could not get toast, bacon was under cooked, everything was cold, the waffles were tasteless bricks. Couldn't wait to get out of there. I completed the comment card left in the hotel room in great detail about all of my complaints and disappointments. That was 2 weeks ago and I have yet to hear from anyone from the resort.
Too bad. We were planning an extended return visit, but not now.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ATRT
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review ATRT. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. As I am sure you are aware, we have many different rooms on our property and it certainly would not be upsetting to show you some other options if you are dissatisfied with your room.
I am also surprised to hear about your dinner and breakfast, as these are not typical comments for our restaurants. I would be pleased to discuss your experience further, if you so choose. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Matt MacAulay
Food and Beverage Manager

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We spent the 4th thru 7th of July at this lovely resort.My husband and I (Mother of the Bride) opted to have a king cottage.It was lovely and clean,(although a bit pricey ,we were more than happy with the room) .We had breakfast on site two mornings and one dinner in the pub...the food and service was excellent !My daughter had her wedding reception in the MacAulay Room. Her planner Jill and event co-ordinator Audrey made her day absolutely amazing and very relaxing.No request left unattended. Water /sandwiches,champagne glasses and fruit was delivered to the bridal suite as requested. The MacAulay room was decorated beautifully .We made up gift bags for our guests and they were all delivered by staff in a timely manner .All last minute changes were handled with ease.The food and beverage service for the reception was excellent . Thanks so much to all the staff at The Inverary Inn for making what could have been a very stressful time so relaxing and pleasant! Happy memories were made here!!

1 Thank ruth c
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Congratulations to you, your daughter and new son-in-law! It is always exciting to see couples exchange their vows with us! We are truly honoured to serve as hosts for this special day and are so glad you enjoyed your experience! We will see you again on your next trip to Cape Breton!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great place for family and to relax. Kids love the pool and there are lots of activities. Service was wonderful. We were given a great room with two beds and a pull out sofa. The staff were always friendly and helpful, from housekeeping, to servers we received consistent friendly and helpful service. We especially appreciated Harry, who managed the bonfire on the three nights we were there. Our three year old followed him around as he showed her the crabs, brought her games and showed great patience and graciousness. He made her trip to Cape Breton memorable.

The resort could invest in some updates to the decor and newer TVs, but overall found it great value.

1 Thank sammitravelsalot
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review, sammitravelsalot! We are very glad you and your family enjoyed your getaway at Inverary! Harry will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed his company so much and we will be sure to save a s'more or two for your next visit with us!
Morro Bay,Ca.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The best way to make reservations is @ the tourist bureau as soon as you cross over the causeway into Cape Breton.The reason why because it's there you can get the best deal & price for your room.This hotel has all different kinds of rooms & I have been to many different ones & all rooms had very comfortable beds which is my number one reason for staying here.The hotel is on both sides off the road.If you stay in a room on the Bras d'or Lake side you may get a water view which I've had & sometimes not.On the other side of the road up on a hill are more rooms which are cheaper & are more like motel rooms,They are not as nice but cheaper & each room has an area outside with chairs to sit & look across the way of a view of the water.The best deal I got from the tourist bureau was a room on the Bras d'or Lake side which included a full breakfast no charge.The hotel has a great restaurant but there are also lots of good restaurant right in the town of Baddeck.If you love lobster make sure you go to the lobster supper restaurant which is in town. Ask @ the hotel & they will tell you where this lobster supper restaurant is located.The hotel also has a pool & whirlpool.It also has a pub & sometimes in the evening there is live entertainment.All staff @ this hotel are super friendly & helpful.You will love the town of Baddeck & make sure you visit the shops & restaurants here plus in the evening in the summer you will find live entertainment .When you are @ the tourist bureau they can tell you all there is to see & do in Baddeck.

Room Tip: If you want a better room choose a room on the Bras d'or Lake side near the water.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DiannMorroBay_Ca_
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review DiannMorroBay_Ca_! We are very pleased to see you have returned for another stay and took advantage of our lovely village and all we have to offer here in Baddeck. We hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent two nights here in the motel unit above the main property. Motel 6 has better accommodations. However, we looked at some of the other rooms upon departure and they were very nice. My advice to anyone considering this place would be to get very specific detail of exactly what is being offered. I think there is a very wide range in quality. I rated it poor because of the room I got, but can see how others may have had much better experiences.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alex3l
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your most recent stay alex3l. As you mentioned, we have a wide range of accommodation types and our friendly front desk staff will be pleased to assist you in finding an appropriate room for you.
I hope you enjoyed some of the services we offer here at Inverary, such as our spa, recreation center or our nightly bonfire with s'mores!
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit to Baddeck!
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great place to stay, bon fires, lakeside,great for weddings, indoor pool very nice and make sure you book your stay ahead of time to get the nicer buildings, they have many buildings and each is furnished different, I recommend glagow building where the swimming pool is. Get the golf package, is awesome with Bell Bay Golf course. They also have some amazing 5 star condos, 2 and 3 bedrooms,thinking of buying a few weeks at Kildare Landing and their new building is Aster. They own the Resorts,the Golf course and the condo project.

1 Thank happytraveler2013855
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review happytraveler2013855! Looks like you really explored our property and all we have to offer! Also glad to hear your are interested in our Kildare Landing Condominium Project! These vacation homes are of exquisit quality and include lots of great amenities! We look forward to see you here at Inverary again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Broadwater Inn
Broadwater Inn
#3 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!