“Overpriced for value”

Inverary Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
“Overpriced for value”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for one night and found the price was for more than what we got. Although the room was very clean and the location beautiful, we did have some concerns. We showered after we unpacked, tub drain had very slow drain. They offered to move rooms, but we were going out for the night, so no time. We dealt with it.
The next morning it seemed the drain got worse and you were standing in 5 inches of water and loose hair. And the sink drain did not pop up and the exhaust fan was not doing the job to get rid of the moisture in the air. You ended up getting dressed while still damp.
And the entire time during our stay, the wifi never worked good enough to load anything. At check out I complained about all these issues and all I got was a "sorry, it seems to happen quite a bit..." I guess they dont like fixing problems around there. I felt like since I wasn't staying in the fancy rooms I didn't matter much.
Don't recommend a stay here unless you can spend the money on the higher priced stay.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Penman437
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you were not totally satisfied with your stay. I am sure we would have remedied many, if not all, of your issues with a room switch. Our goal is to please each guest that stays with us and it matters not which room you stay. Our staff only want to see you enjoy your visit with us and we do our best to provide solutions to the issues you encounter. Each room at our property is a little different and I am sure we have the right room for you. We hope to see you with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Ness Ziona, Israel
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our room in the Argyle building was average, small and very dark - well below the standard of other hotels we had stayed at during our trip in Canada.

Despite the high price of the room ($159), breakfast was "extra" ($16.10 each), and compared to other hotels where we had actually received "free" breakfast - the selection of the breakfast poor - and and food offered not hot. When requesting fried eggs, we were informed that they only offer scrambled (which were not even hot). We therefore decided to eat all our meals (including breakfast) at local restaurants.

On checking out we found a charge on our statement of $24.33 per day - for "CB Island Levy" - something which came as a complete surprise, as we were not informed of this either when reserving the room, not when checking in.

All in all, this was without doubt the most disappointing hotel of our almost 1 months stay in various Canadian hotels, and we definitely do not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in that area.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lenmiri F
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are continuing to update our rooms with more modern amenities, including energy efficient light sources. We are also continually evaluating our meal services, making adjustments to better suit our guests and we appreciate your feedback regarding our breakfast buffet. I am disappointed to hear your request for fried eggs was not delivered and we will be addressing this issue with our restaurant team going forward into the 2013 season. The 2% marketing levy is applied to all accommodation rates on Cape Breton Island after the mandatory 15% Nova Scotia provincial sales tax. I apologize that this extra $3.65 fee per night was not communicated to you prior to booking. I again thank you for your comments. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The grounds of the Inverary are lovely and the lakefront is a wonderful place to relax. My room in the main lodge was large and very comfortable with lots of windows that open. But they opened over the main entrance and there was a fair bit of noise in the evenings and the mornings. Staff was great and the service in the spa was excellent. There are two public computers off the lobby that don't work too well. But there is lots to do and see around Baddeck.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank palliativenurse
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! It is wonderful to see you enjoyed our spa and the other sights and activities in and around Baddeck. We will be sure to investigate the performance of our public computers and we hope to see you again soon.
Swindon
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here in August as a base for driving The Cabot Trail.

On arrival, there was a problem with our booking. Apparently, a previous manager had taken the details, but then failed to pass them on. Hence, our reservation didn't exist and there was no similar room available. It took nearly an hour to sort this out ... Credit is due to the reception staff who managed to turn this near 1 star rating into a much higher score. They handled the situation professionally and without fuss, and upgraded us to a two bed chalet. They were pleasant and courteous, even to the point of checking our bookings later in the week with other hotels.

The chalet had two double bedrooms, kitchen and large living area. The overall impression was that it was in need of some updating, but was clean and comfortable. See http://tinyurl.com/bv42q8j for a virtual tour.

The rest of the site was pleasant with good views over the lake and well maintained grounds.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank robertsladeuk
I am happy to hear that our staff took such good care of you and I apologize for the mix-up. I am also glad you enjoyed your accommodations and took the chance to enjoy our grounds. We are certainly proud of them! Thank you again and hope to see you back this season!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

In preparation for our wedding, My husband and I decided to spend a weekend at the Inverary Inn in 2009. We wanted to know the feel of the place to decide if we would like to have our wedding on their property. I will tell you right now, after our stay we were convinced it was the perfect location for a wedding. They have a lovely little spot with an archway that can be decorated. It is steps from the lake so after the ceremony everyone can jump in the lake! (My bridesmaids did to cool off. Just up to their knees).

We had a charming room. The bed was comfortable but a bit stiff for my liking. The main desk staff were very helpful with directions and things to see. Despite living in Cape Breton all my life, I had only been to Baddeck once as a child to visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.

The town of Baddeck is a few minutes away. Local shops and restaurants abound and I would recommend eating in town and not at the resort. We ate one night at the in house Restaurant at the resort. I was very disappointed by this. It was extremely expensive. My husband and I spent $60 for the two of us and we didn't even have drinks. Just water and a pepsi. Their vegetarian options are basically non-existant. The waitress had to check with the chef to see if they would be able to make a dish sans meat. The portions were small. So much so that we were still hungry after our meal. Luckily I always pack food when I travel and we had some snacks in our room.

Room Tip: They have a variety of rooms from cabins to the main hall. Ask for a room facing water and enjoy the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLC1481
Thank you for your detailed review, and we are so glad you decided to honour us as host to your wedding! It is an important day, and we take great pride in our wedding planning and execution. Baddeck is a lovely village and the Bell Museum is certainly a must-see! I am sorry to hear you were disappointed by your meal. We always want to serve a satisfying meal, so your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Toronto
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the Inverary Inn many times -- these past 4 years I have stayed every July- September as a jump off point for the Cabot Trail. I love arriving at this very pretty property right on the Bras d'or lakes - location is superb-- however, I have come to learn that the main lodge is of a higher standard than the cottages. The rooms - sinks, carpets and paint need immediate attention. It is dated and needs an update. This is a wonderful place - I hope it gets an update or refresh soon or I will look for alternatives despite the property's positives.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank luv2travelthree
Thank you for your review and your repeat visits! We are glad to see people returning to our area to enjoy what Baddeck and Inverary have to offer. Room updates are of high priority to us and we make strides each year to improve our accommodations. Thank you again and please visit us again!
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just returned from spending a family getaway during Labour Day weekend at the Inverary Resort.
The property is gorgeous with so many things to do right on site. It is large so you can spend time just exploring and walking on the beach.
There is an indoor pool so even if the weather does not cooperate, you can still swim and use the hot tub.
The pub was nice and it was great to hear local artists. After we had a snack we sat on our deck and looked at all the beautiful scenery.
The staff are wonderful and attend to your every need and desire.
My only wish is that they would update the rooms. Although they room was clean it was in need of some work.
If you go, be sure to take in the sailing tour on the Amoeba. The sights are spectacular, the skipper is hilarious and wait until you meet Alex and Mabel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are very proud of our service, our property and our village and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! The Amoeba is always a great attraction!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Broadwater Inn
Broadwater Inn
#2 of 17 in Baddeck
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!