“Looks good from the outside...”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Not at all what we expected. The website showed some lovely well-lit rooms, with sleigh beds and clean carpets. While these may exist somewhere on the property, you must have to request it because we wound up in a run-down motel room that was so humid it felt like the carpet was wet.

While the grounds are lovely and the restaurant was fantastic, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SmilingTrees
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your room. You are correct and these rooms certainly do exist at our property. Our friendly staff are always available to help if you should be dissatisfied with any aspect of your stay and I am sure our knowledgeable Front Desk staff could have found one that was suitable for you. I am happy you enjoyed our grounds and your meal with us and I thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed at the IR in Baddeck for one night on 28 July 2012. Check in took a bit of time as we had made a reservation on Expedia in advance and for the second straight time, the hotel we booked with on Expedia had no record of our reservation. They immediately got on the phone with Expedia and eventually were able to confirmthe reservation. Two strikes and your out for Expedia. Never the less, staff at the IR were able to resolve the problem and we were assigned our room. Room was fine but had a horrible odour so we went right back to the front desk and they moved us to anothe room right away.

The resort grounds are quite nice but the pool, hot tub and sauna area are in need of a full upgrade. We did not eat at the resort so I cannot comment on the restaurants. We did go to the on site Pub in the evening and they had live entertainment. I cannot remember his last name but Tracey was an excellent singer and the bar staff were very attentive. Great night in the Pub. Nightly bonfire at the beach/marina area with a sing along and roasted marshmellows is a nice touch. Nice spot for familes and couples.

Service at the IR was very good. Good hotel to stay at before you drive the Cabot Trail. Some renovations and this resort would be top notch.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
6  Thank timbo

Thank you for your detailed review. I am glad we were able to resolve these issues for you so you could enjoy your getaway. We hope to see you back with us again this season!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Facility consists of multiple buildings, some cottages and some multi-room lodges, on a large well landscaped property. Double bed room rate in a lodge was double what you'd pay a typical hotel and lacked amenities like a fridge or microwave. Breakfast buffet is not included in room rate and is over priced for the fare presented. Don't expect a quiet weekend here, they host multiple weddings and there's a lot of people coming and going.

I wouldn't stay here again unless I was attending a wedding at the resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
caper240657, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

thank you for the review. We do have plenty of weddings and they certainly add to the character of the Inverary. There is plenty to see and do on the resort with lots of activities to keep everyone busy. The property is very close to the Village ,just a short walk, where you will find shops and other attractions.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'ld heard not to expect too much from hotels in Nova Scotia; however, the Prince George in Halifax and even the Hampton Inn in Sydney were very good. Here the rooms are okay, rather staid and old. We stayed in the main building although I think there may have been some renovation and building going on to update and modernize what really needs a facelift. The location is ver good and a quick walk will take you to the best tourist help in town.The excellent Hightlighter Cafe with outrageously delicious blueberry and raspberry scones is also nearby. It's a huge property at the Inverary but because of the weather I did not go down towards the waterfront and subsequently cannot comment beyond the ordinary rooms. Beds were fine but decor, as mentioned, was really old.

Room Tip: Maybe the new buildings have better rooms. Check them out.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful location. I am pleased that you had a chance to explore the Village. It is a wonderful place to spend some time.
Hopefully you will have a chance to return sometime.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were here for a wedding and I have to give them full points for how well they accommodated us but I can also appreciate why there are so many negative reviews on here.

The good: staff were very friendly and helpful, they often bent over backwards to accommodate our requests and make for a great wedding experience. The grounds were beautiful and picturesque with some great views of the area and the water. They have some nice activities too, our party enjoyed kayaking and biking around the area. They also offer a wide variety of accommodations to suit multiple situations...suites for families, kitchenettes for kids, etc.

The bad: We aren't the high maintenance type at all so the accommodations, while somewhat spartan were fine for us. That said, the price tag for the room felt pretty inflated considering that it wasn't anything special for a room. Some of the nicer rooms that we saw even were nothing special either. I think the 'resort' in the name is a bit of a misnomer for many people and that's why it gets the poor reviews. Also I never actually ate at any of the restaurants but from what I heard they are best avoided...there is a little cafe in town that does a decent job for breakfast, I would recommend that over anything at the resort.

Overall I think its a good idea for parties such as ours where you need to book multiple rooms for guests and schedule services and events, I think that's where the resort really shines. For couples looking for a romantic getaway or the like there are probably better options in the area in the form of B&Bs and the like

Room Tip: I found it pricey in general and not much difference between the cheaper rooms and the deluxe/luxury...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I appreciate your comments and am pleased that you folks really felt that you were well taken care of. Audrey and the staff always do a great job. I will make sure they see your comments.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

WE stayed one night at the inverary on our maritime vacation , our last night in fact which was included with a Bell Bay Golf package. WE had stayed in B&B's so hotels are now big dissapointment really . Typical room, typical decor etc. However we were hurried so decided to eat in the dining room the next morning for breakfast not a good choice. The food was very poor and I had simple choice. They said yogurt and granola, I think if there was 1/4 tsp of granola I am being generous. The brown sugar I was given was old, hard and looked like a crust of bread had been left in to try and soften, discusting ! Seasonal fruit was pineapple and honeydew?? and they both tasted sour and awful. Then to beat that the price was 11 $ for my oatmeal and yogurt and , my husbands very usual bacon and eggs and toast were 12 $ . This was kind of a dissapointing end to a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your comments. It is a shame that you only had one night with us as you may find that we have plenty of character as we grew up as a county inn.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Inverary Resort Is a collection of a dozen or more buildings on both sides of the road just outside the town proper, but within walking distance (on the shoulder of the busy road). Its amenities include a nightly bonfire, mussels and beer on the lake in the afternoon, boating rentals, etc. It caters to large busloads of senior citizens, which is fine for them, but if you are staying in Baddeck to hike and explore both sides of Cape Breton Highlands National Park, which we were, this is NOT the place to stay.  Our room, in a wing of the main lodge (which seemed to be the quietest) was large, clean, and comfortable, though not particularly well-appointed or attractive.  Breakfast was not included, and the only choice was all-you-can-eat buffet for 14.00, which is fine for those busloads of senior citizens, but is not the way to start a day of hiking. There is not even any complimentary coffee available (except for one cup in the room), which seems like the least they could offer given that there is only the one breakfast option.  Unless you're on a bus, or need to have your activities planned for you, this is not a good choice.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a lodge where a big bus has most of the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them. Our breakfast offering has been very well received with plenty of variety and choices of full buffet or a continental breakfast. We do appreciate having coach tours however it is a very small part of our business. We really like to spend time with all our guests providing assistance to them to ensure they enjoy their vacation in Nova Scotia.
Scott MacAulay

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck
Auberge Gisele's Country Inn
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!