“a retreat by the lakeside” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Ontario, Canada
“a retreat by the lakeside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Our group visited Baddeck during the Celtic festival in mid-October (2011) and stayed at this resort. The resort occupies 12 acres on the shore of Lake Bras d'Or (originally called Lake La Brador by Portugese sailors in Columbus' days). It is a bucolic surrounding ideal for a peaceful visit. Most of us stayed in Culloden House, one of the several large buildings in the complex. We had a 2nd story room (there are no elevators in this building). Our room was average-sized, clean and neatly appointed. The windows were double-glazed and could be opened to let the sea-breaze in. The heating/air conditioning was easy to operate. The place was quiet (but, we had quiet neighbours). The grounds are beautiful, especially with the fall colours.
There is a dining room on the complex which can accomodate a few dozen people. There is also a pub that occasionally has entertainment (we didn't take advantage of it). The dining room was clean, the staff friendly and efficient. The food was good but some of the dishes were a little pricey. There is a special lobster restaurant nearby where you can have a lobster or another meal. This place was a bit spartan.
The Inverary Resort is ideally located as a base from which to explore Cape Breton Island and where one can have a quiet, relaxing holiday. We would come back, if only we lived closer.

Room Tip: Get a room that has neighbours on only one side.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear professor,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope your entire trip was equally enjoyable. As you have pointed out, the fall is a great time to visit and certainly is a favorite time of the year for me.

Jamie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I first saw the Inverary Resort 16 years ago when I was staying at another establishment in Baddeck and told myself if I ever got back to the East Coast I would want to stay there as it looked beautiful. Was able to return in Sep of 2011 and stayed one night. The grounds are truly beautiful, very well kept, clean and spacious. Our room was clean and modern but rather sparsely decorated. The king sized bed was very cozy. However, the further into the room you walked, things started to change. The sink/mirror was outside the bathroom which is okay, however the lighting was very poor. Female readers will understand the importance of proper lighting. Unfortunately, there were no other mirrors in the room but plenty of wall space that could have accomodated another. The bathroom was very disappointing. For a resort, I expected big, fluffy towels but got small and rather hard towels. There was rust on the towel rack, rust on the heat register and worst of all, rust on the rubber stopper in the bathtub of all things! So much care and attention has been put into the outside appearance of this resort that I am at a loss as to how a few simple fixes in a bathroom can get overlooked. Certainly new towel racks and a rubber stopper can't be that expensive to replace? A bit of touch-up paint on the heat register would take seconds to fix. And new towels would be very welcome. We also tried to use the vending machine and it did not work. My husband reported it to the front desk and they had us go in and get our money back. Problem was, hours later, there was no "out of order" sign posted on the machine. After 16 years of waiting, it was disappointing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear GLSDW,

Thank you for your recent visit and review! I am glad to hear that you felt the grounds were beautiful and well kept. I am also glad that you felt your room was clean and modern. I do, however apologize that your room lacked some 'attention to detail'. As you can appreciate, 'attention to detail' is an important part of our service delivery model here at the Inverary. I also apologize for your vending experience. Our vending machines are looked after by a third party and we do have a procedure in place for handling refunds, one of which involves placing a sign on the machine.

If I could please ask for you to reach out to me personally with your stay details I would greatly appreciate it. I would be happy to look at your room personally so we have the things you mentioned repaired for the next guest.

jamie@capebretonresorts.com

Travelers are raving about these Baddeck hotels

Port Williams, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I should start with the positive, the grounds and property are truly amazing. The staff are very helpful and are willing to help in every way.

My dissapointment is based on a number of reasons:
When I booked this weekend away I was doing it to take my spouse and her parents around the Cabot Trail. After reviewing many properties in Cape Breton and trying to book around one of the busiest times in Fall, I came across the Inverary Inn "RESORT".
While on the phone with the booking agent I clearly explained that my in laws have mobility issues, that was why we tried to seperate our driving on this trip to 5-6 hours per day.
The booking agent said o.k. the Inverary was located well to accomodate this.
I then again mentioned mobility issues, which is why we didn't book the 2 bedroom suite, because of 2 flights of stairs. So we opted to book two seperate rooms thinking that the in laws were being placed on ground level.
We also had told the booking agent that this trip was to celebrate my 7th year anniversary, and my in laws were celebrating their 34th Wedding anniversary. They made me believe that was noted and something special would be done.
I asked to have the nicest room on the property for me and my spouse. So upon arrival we were placed in room 416. Which is across the road, it is a second floor room. The worst part is this room has major potential. Very out dated, a Jaccuzi from the 80's im sure. and the decor was cheap and basic. The best part of the room was the View, it was amazing. However, after driving 5-6 hours and were looking forward to the luxury of a resort atmosphere, we landed there, laid on the bed, it was like sleeping on the floor. Not to mention running out of hot water to fill the tub. My dissapointment was beginning to get the better of me. When we booked the room we asked that they ensure a fridge and Microwave, this was to enjoy a family thanksgiving dinner we prepared to take on the road. We got there, no microwave, no table to dine at, which was supposed to be there upon arrival.
My in laws were in a second floor room, that felt like prison quarters. They were supposed to have no stairs.
The second night I went to the front desk and spoke to the same gentleman that checked us in(Jonathan). He was very helpful in getting us a different room. But I was shocked when he listened to my complaint about the "Suite" he had told me that was generally the Wedding Suite. I was like your kidding right? The bed was horrible, the decor dated, and the ambiance more like a cheap cottage.
I guess I have spent much much less, for far better. The term resort needs to have a better qualification. Had I seen more pictures of the rooms, and done my homework like I usually do, I probably would have stayed elsewhere.
Again Great staff, that want to ensure a great stay, however for 2 nights at the Inverary I could have rented some cottages in the area for a week or close to.
Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I have never been to a hotel/resort where I wanted a partial refund like I did there.
If you are willing to pay a premium price and be more comfortable sleeping on the floor like my spouse was, then this might be a good choice.
I wish I could be writing a much more favorable opinion, however we were all very dissapointed.
Lastly the staff deserve a pat on the back, they seemed to truly care..WE wouldn't consider booking there again.

Room Tip: In my opinion very basic and not worth the premium dollar....Anyone travelling there should do their...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Dear Trevor G,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize that your stay fell short of your expectation. I also appreciate that your review offered some 'positives' in addition to the 'not so' positive. Room 416, as was communicated to you, is one of our honeymoon suites. This room has been recently renovated, including a new bed; therefore, I am deeply concerned about your 'first' impression of it.

I also apologize about your room not having a microwave and dining room table. Clearly we dropped the ball with the table, as it was noted as a guest request on your reservation file. Additionally, I apologize for you running out of hot water. Please also pass along my apologies to your in-laws, as there was no note made for a ground floor room, or them having 'mobility issues'. With that, I certainly feel bad that they felt some discomfort being on the second floor and in a room that was not comfortable for them.

Lastly, I apologize for not recognizing your special anniversaries. As you can see from other reviews this is certainly not the norm for us, as we take pride in 'extra recognition'.

If you would like to discuss your visit with me further, I would be happy to do so.

All the best,

jamie@capebretonresorts.com
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Beautiful grounds including two restaurants, a gym and pool, conference centre, several buildings housing guests and a main lodge. The view of the lake was beautiful and we dined at the Lakeside for a wonderful dinner, and ate breakfast at Flora's. We stayed in the main lodge, and our only complaint has to do with our room (116), our view was of the road and parking lot. We couldn't open our windows because of the noise from the parking lot and pub, and throughout the night we could hear a neighbour snoring. The queen sized bed was very comfy, and I think the hotel was very nice so if you avoid Room 116, it would have been a perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear swim_bunn,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am glad to hear that most of your stay was perfect and apologize that you felt the location of your room was not suitable for you. We certainly would of been happy to move you, if requested.

All the best and have a fantastic 'short' week!

Scotchtown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband and I have been guests at this awesome resort for over 10 yrs on a

yearly basis ...It's the cozy ,country welcoming feeling that we love ...rooms,grounds ,staff and all it has to offer is top shelf for sure,We spent our 25th @ the resort and a worker came to our room with chocolates and wine as well as a card of wishes ... Back a few yrs ago when on valentines day we would come to the Inn for a great valentine pkg it rocked ,,,, Rack of lamb so good ,as well as the wine that was served ...see you in November as we will be at the Inn to see Mr. Minglewood as
we do
each time he is your beautiful resort/town

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear jbwilcox,

Thank you for your fabulous review and past patronage! I am glad to hear that that you feel that what the resort has to offer is 'top shelf'. This is certainly what we strive for. We also do our best to recoginize the special days our guests have while staying with us, whether it be a birthday or anniversary. With that, I am glad to hear we made your special day 'extra' special. We are also looking forward to Matt Minglewood and look forward to seeing you there. It should be a great time.

Best Regards,

Shanty Bay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I found this resort and the room to be very tired and old. Needs to be updated before we'd return again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Joanne W,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. I am sorry to hear that you felt the resort was tired and old. We are continually making improvements to our guest rooms and hope you are able to enjoy these improvements the next time you visit.

All the best,

British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

This place suited our needs fine. We got a "rate of the day" special through an info centre, and thought that just over $104 for a room incl. tax and hot breakfast was great value. Our room was in the section across the road from the main resort, but on the second floor still had a good view. The room was your average motel room- bathroom was a bit dated, but was clean and comfortable - nicer than some of the others we stayed in on our trip for similar price with no breakfast. The "quick start" breakfast included an egg, toast, bacon, potato and juice - a nice change from the usual continental breakfast. We did a quick walk through the resort which was nicely landscaped, but did not use any of the other facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Canadian_Explorer5
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Heidi_200,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am glad to hear that the resort suited you fine. Our 'rate of the day' specials we offer are very popular offer great value. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in Baddeck soon.

Jamie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
#3 of 18 in Baddeck
Cabot Trail Motel
Cabot Trail Motel
#2 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!