We had made reservations at the "Bell View Luxury Suites" after several days of searching the internet. We made the reservation on Aug 9, 2010 for Sept 4, 2010. As the date approached, so did the possibility of a hurricane. The cancellation policy stated on their website is 72 hrs notice. My wife called to inquire what would happen if the storm hit. We were advised by the owner that unless 72 hrs notice was given we would be charged full rate for the room. My wife further asked if this would still be in effect if the Confederation Bridge was closed and was told in that case they may reconsider. The date arrived to make the trip and the bridge was not closed. We debated whether to go or not and decided to venture out in the storm. We arrived in Baddeck to find out that the power was out due to the storm passing through (we found this out when we looked for a gas station to refuel). We further ventured on through Baddeck to check in at the "Bell View". Upon arrival we were met in the parking lot by the owner (Denise Mulley) to be advised that they were not taking any guests, due to the power outage. At the time there was no explanation other than "we have no power". We asked if there was a possibility of seeing the room we were missing out on (we were impressed by the online photos) in case we were to return and again were told "we have no power". I thought they would have had a flashlight or candle to show us the room with and didn't think it was too much to ask after diving 6 hrs through a storm.
It wasn't until we got back in the car and started to drive that we looked at each other and said, what do we do now ? If this is everyone's policy, do we sleep in the car ? I then turned to the GPS and called another place to inquire for a room and was told they were full, but we could try McIntyres Cottages. I called and was told they had a cottage vacant. I was then was very nicely advised that if we wanted the cabin, there was no power and one flush. :) I asked the price and agreed. I later found out after checking online, that not only did they provide us with accommodations, but they also did it at a reduced rate. Thank you once again "McIntyre's Cottages".
I would also like to mention that we were advised by the owner that: She called in the morning and left a message regarding the storm and also had sent us an email. Unfortunately I can not confirm either. We had no message on our answering machine or record of a phone call with our caller ID and in regards to the email, i can't find it either. However i do still have the confirmation email that was sent in August.
After thinking over the situation for the last few days I decided to call and inform the owner I was not happy with what went on. I didn't quite get the response I expected. To say the least it was not a pleasant conversation and the only goodbye I heard was the click of a telephone.
In closing one thing I would like to mention is that according to Denise Mulley, her insurance would not cover any accident that may happen if the power was out. This was the main reason should would not let us stay.
So I was quite surprised when we drive back through Baddeck that we did not see all the other people that were thrown out into the streets to sleep in their cars, due to the power outage!!!
PS - Here's something else interesting, our confirmation says $159.00 and their homepage says $120 - $149 guaranteed
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Bell View Luxury Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bell View Luxury Suites Baddeck, Nova Scotia - Cape Breton Island