“Victorian Gem”

Ranked #10 of 17 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Honeoye Falls, New York
“Victorian Gem”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Bell View is well situated just a short walk /drive out of Baddeck, with easy access to Cabot Trail, golfing,museums or for just goofing around. We were there during "Celtic Colours" and although we didn't partake, this b&b would be central to the various venues within Cape Breton.
Being in a heritage Victorian home, it is decorated for that time period. The rooms are clean, beds are very comfortable, breakfasts are delicious and the proprietor Denise & her staff are very courteous and helpful.
We had a wonderful 3 nights and would stay there again.
K & L
Rochester, NY

Room Tip: rooms on the front have beautiful views of Bras D'Or Lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laima B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was excited to have a one night getaway with just my 5 month old and myself. A quiet room with a book.

At check in I was informed that I would have to pay for the mattress if the baby wet the bed. Did I have a crib? The room I was shown to did not have the space to set up a playpen and so I had lots of blankets to put under the baby in the event of a leak.

When bringing up my bags to my room I was stopped by the owner and basically told that if no crib no baby. Then (presumably) his wife starting talking very condescendingly to the lady at the front desk who had been more than kind. She kept saying:don't we all know this rule? I picked up my bags and left. On my way out I did inform the owner that she did tell me that you prefer cribs and that I had assurred her that I had adequate bankets to go under the baby.

I hope this helps any young families to choose another venue.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank mommyxyz
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Bell View is what a B&B should be. Located a minute' drive outside of Baddeck, it's set well back from the road, and Bras D'or Lake is on the other side of the road. Very quiet.

The B&B is in a heritage home, decorated for that period (with perhaps a bit too much faux greenery!). All five rooms are located on the second floor (no elevator), and are furnished with a quiet elegance. They're rooms in a heritage home, so they're definitely on the small side, and calling them "suites" really is a bit of a stretch. Our room (#5) had an ensuite with a large jet tub plus shower. There are adirondack chairs set out for enjoying the view, and there's a small dock on the lake as well.

Breakfast was served in a beautifully furnished formal dining room. There were three entree choices, which were served quickly and cheerfully.

We loved our stay here, slept like babies, and would highly recommend it. The only minor criticism is that their website doesn't provide enough information or photos - so I've included lots with this review.

Note that Google Maps doesn't understand this location - just look for the B&B on the shores of Bras D'or, near the golf course.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lomimu
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I and another couple were extremely pleased with our accommodations at the Bell View in Baddeck in mid June. The rooms with king sized beds were already booked when I called for reservations, but the queen sized rooms were more than adequate, and everything was spotlessly clean. The B&B is well decorated and appointed, the breakfast delicious and Denise (the owner) was very pleasant and helpful. You will not be disappointed with this B&B (and I can't understand the negativity in the previous post). We always stay at B&Bs throughout our travels in the US and abroad, and this B&B deserves very high marks. Go and enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: Quiet area - location of rooms not important.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janbsn
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a difficult review to write but we owe it to Tripadvisor readers.
We had reserved two rooms for three nights. We did not stay at this B&B because of an unfortunate misunderstanding. In our opinion the confirmed rate was at the limit of fair value for the time of year and location. We were surprised when, on arrival, we were advised that the total cost would be 15% more because of taxes. This had not been mentioned in the written confirmation. Our past experience had universally been that the quoted price was the total amount due or the confirmation stated that taxes were additional and the total price was then indicated.
We had the opportunity to see the rooms. One room was small and cramped because of the oversized furniture including a wardrobe. There was no desk, nor was there room for one. There was no space for luggage either. The bathroom had no towel racks and no place beside the sink for toiletries. The other room, king-sized, had ample space, but the double whirlpool tub was right in the bedroom. A strange sight and location.
The proprietor consented to allow us to find other accommodations without charge. We immediately found fully suitable accommodations in Baddeck for about 30% less than this establishment.
Because we did not stay at the Bell View, we cannot comment on the breakfasts or other aspects of this B&B.
Others may find this B&B suitable; we did not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loonisland
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed October 30, 2011

On a sunny Septembre afternoon we arrived at the Bell View B & B just a few minutes walk outside of Baddeck in Nova Scotia. A brilliant location at St. Patricks Channel, a quiet place. A lovely Victorian building (I guess ...) with a very nice, exqusite interior decoration. Our room was just a little bit to small for all the nice furniture, but it had a nice atmosphere.
The friendly welcome, the nice chats with Teresa and Denise and the atmosphere of this lovely B & B made our short stay (1 night) memorable.
We would definately stay again at DeniseMulley`s B & B.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We enjoyed oufr two night stay!!! Good breakfast......Denise was a gracious hostess!

• Stayed September 2011