“Like Eating at Mom's House”

Cedar House Bakery and Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Don't let the possible long line at the door turn you away. The food here is typical tummy warming Cape Breton fare. The freshest fish possible be it chowder, fish cakes or halibut. Be sure to ask for molasses to smear on your homemade biscuits and rolls - that's the way the locals like it. Don't look for amazing potatoes and veggies as they are usually served ice cream scoop style.
Save room for the homemade cakes and sweets. My husband will make the 1 hour drive here just to eat the amazing chocolate cake with boiled icing.
Before you leave be sure to check out the "to go" items in the bakery.
The waitresses here ( some who have worked here for more than 20 years) are super friendly and make you want to return... again and again.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I ate a cupcake their as my afternoon dinner once a weekend, I love the colorful cupcake and amazing environment there but what a pity I forget the location. Lol

Reviewed January 2, 2014

For years, we have been stopping by here for the excellent baked goods. We have eaten several lunches here as well. The fish chowder is excellent as well as the fish cakes. Service is attentive in spite of always being packed.

1  Thank Aafia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have been coming to the Cedar house for over 25 years, for everyday, after travelling, or special occations, they are so accomodating, the food is real and homemade, the portions are wonderful and so tastey, the prices are great, and the staff treats you like family; I haven't been back in 2 years because of travelling once and the waitress remembered me, my family, and what i ordered last time! Huge selection and a bakery. I would like to see them get licensed so I could have a glass of wine with their amazing chicken and mushroom fedichinni alfredo but still the best restaraunt in Cape Breton if not NS by far :) Thank you Cedar house, I wish you open all year round :)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We ate here on 18 September 2013 - sorry for the late review. The food was absolutely beautiful - very tasty. I had the corn chowder and my husband the seafood chowder. The service was excellent and staff very friendly. We had homemade apple pie - little different than what we have in Australia, but very nice.
I would eat here again and recommend it to family and friends.