“Wile Your Cares Away at the Wild Caraway”
Review of Wild Caraway

Wild Caraway
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Canada
“Wile Your Cares Away at the Wild Caraway”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

A group of eight descended on the Wild Caraway on Saturday evening. We were quickly seated as we had made the recommended reservation. Our drink orders were taken and we were given lots of time to peruse the menu (which changes quite often). Our servers came back with drinks and water and then explained the options available and answered any questions that we had about our choices. After taking our orders the servers gave us our space as we caught up with eachother's lives.

Appetizers arrived after about 25-30 minutes which seemed just the right amount of time... obviously we were not going to be rushed; neither were we going to be wondering if our food was ever coming. Very happy to report that this was indeed the case:)

As we were waiting for our appetizers, our server presented us with a complementary croquette made with smoked halibut and served with sour creme and a very nice herb dressing. It was fantastic!!

I ordered the artichoke appetizer which I found to be very bland and unappealing, at least to me. Others found it to be great. The rib-eye steak with oven roasted potato wedges and greens with blue cheese dressing was outstanding. The steak was very tender, cooked to perfection at medium rare and full of flavour. The potatoes were to die for; crispy on the outside and well seasoned. The greens were fresh and the dressing was very good. I ordered the cheesecake for dessert and was really disappointed. Served in a small mason jar (which was a neat presentation), it consisted mostly of butterscotch sauce and whipped cream with what seemed to be a bit some kind of cake at the bottom. I did not finish either the appetizer or desert.

The wine choices are very limited. I did not enjoy the 2 (of 3 choices) that we tried, a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinot Noir. Others found them to be acceptable but not great. I switched to beer which was served very cold with a frosted mug:)

Our service was terrific. They were very efficient, attentive without being obtrusive and lots of fun!!

We returned the next morning for brunch. Again we really enjoyed ourselves and the staff. I had the Eggs Benedict with pan fries and baked beans. The eggs were simply outstanding. I enjoyed the pan fries. The beans which were really different as they were not the usual molasses-based beans. They seemed to be made with tomato sauce with I suspect a bit of chili powder. Very interesting:) After eating we retired to the outside deck area and finished our coffee and relaxed in the sun.

My friends and I were all very happy with our 2 visits to the Wild Caraway. Overall, we were highly impressed and fully enjoyed the experience ! I highly recommend the Wild Caraway. Make sure to make reservation as it is a very popular destination.

• Visited June 2014

Sydney, Australia
“The highest standard with great friendly service”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We can only add bravo to all the other (positive) reviews of Wild Caraway. Based on these reviews we booked from Australia for dinner and stayed overnight for a special birthday during our trip through Nova Scotia. Everything about this stay was impressive and we felt we were dining with old friends. However it is really fine dining, with fantastic food which was inventive and the taste subtle made from local produce. Andrew in the kitchen and Sarah out front make a very welcoming and efficient team managing this reasonably sized restaurant to such a high standard. The two rooms upstairs are large, clean, quiet and bright with bay windows looking out over the water and harbour. You wouldn't know there was a busy restaurant downstairs. I can only imagine this place being very popular in season.

1 Thank Khopp
Portland, Maine
“Outstanding and what a surprise!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Yes, Advocate Harbour is a lovely place. Yes, it is a long way from anywhere. But there is this restaurant wonderful restaurant! A hidden gem. Service and food were both excellent. What a delightful surprise!!

Nova Scotia
“Consistently Excellent!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Made the long drive for yet another special occasion - my birthday. Jerusalem Atichoke with Apple soup- i could have licked the bowl. Halibut, Seafood Chowder, and Beef were to die for; rhubarb/gin tonic -wonderful! rhubarb crumble with home-made roasted coconut ice-cream, tiramisu,chocolate mousse - all outstanding! ALWAYS worth the long drive: fresh, locally grown/raised, presented beautifully and prepared masterfully. What is not to like!? Truly consistently excellent: our go-to place for fantastic dining, always.

Also, the folks who ranked it with low scores? This is fine dining - local style - don't wait until your kids are starving to take them to a restaurant OR take them for fast food, which it seems probably suits you better; for the other nay-sayer, if you are going to say you don't like a place, at least have the courtesy to say why.

nova scotia
“Love love, love this spot!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My friend and I had to go on business to Advocate Harbour and looked forward to eating here all day. Since their hours had changed somewhat we got to the restaurant to early. (Between lunch and dinner) We had about 40 minutes to wait, so we got some coffee and sat out side overlooking the Bay of Fundy just enjoying the scenery and 5:00 was there in no time. The menu changes every two weeks but they always have seafood chowder and fish and chips. I had the seafood chowder and an asparagus salad with broken egg dressing. Both were excellent! My friend had the halibut which she said was also fantastic!. I had the tiramisu for dessert and it was the best I have ever had!