“Very Informative”

Trinity Historical Walking Tours
Ranked #6 of 19 things to do in Trinity
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: You will experience the 500 year history of Trinity during the 15 stops we make during the leisurely two and a half hour stroll along Trinity's paths and lanes. Through stories, historic photos, audio recordings of burials, shipwrecks, and disasters, and your imagination you will time travel through the history of Newfoundland in the magical setting called Trinity. It will be a personal educational and entertaining experience.
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'm not actually a history buff and went on this tour relunctantly to appease my spouse but I honestly enjoyed it despite the rubbish weather we had while on the tour. The town of Trinity is very quaint but small and it came to life thanks to Paul. He is from Trinity and has a real passion for his hometown. He even takes visitors to his shed where the tour ends which is a nice personal touch.

Paul knows everything about Trinity and then some. There isn't actually a lot of walking but you do walk some, listen to Paul talk, and then he plays the recordings of some interesting things while walking to the next stop. Paul also has a plethora of photos which help visitors understand what the area used to be like and how much it's changed.

The only reason I gave it a four instead of a five is because I thought the tour was too long. 2.5 hours is too much in my opinion and we could tell that the others were getting restless as well after 1 hour and 45 minutes. The last 30 minutes was definitely interesting but perhaps Paul could condense the tour to two hours or give different tours (i.e. shorter tours and longer tours)?

Overall it was an extremely informative tour of not just Trinity but Newfoundland as well. The cost is $10 pp cash. Call in advance to see if the tour is still on and what the times are. You'll park and meet near the Anglican Church.

1  Thank BloatedBelly

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I learned more on this trip than I had in several previous tours elsewhere. While Kevin's walk takes place in Trinity, the broader canvas is Newfoundland and the men and women who came and later settled here. The personal anecdotes, photographs/maps, readings from journals of the day, poetry, headstone history all enhanced Kevin's natural storytelling ability. The tour was made even more special by Kevin's obvious love of his home and province. He was able to transport us back in time and understand the political machinations while at the same time equating some issues to the present. Yet, in the end, Kevin left us to draw our own conclusions without ever imposing his own political slant. A very difficult task very well done! I will go again when I return to Newfoundland.

2  Thank PatriciaLD
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Although the focus of Kevin Toope's (with an "e") tour is Trinity, the information that he gives encompasses a large part of Newfoundland's story. After our 2 /2 hour tour, we had a much better understanding of the history of the island and some glimpses into its future. As we encircled the town, Kevin regaled us with statistics, personal stories from his own family history, interesting tidbits of Trinity's past townspeople, descriptions of the architecture and thoughtful answers to questions asked. The tour's cost of $10 is a bargain. Thank you, Kevin, for taking the time to research your facts and to make them accessible for Trinity's visitors.

1  Thank Bobandalong
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This tour is about two and one half hour long. It gives fivee hundred years of Newfoundland history as Kevin Toope, the guide, strolls along scenic paths and lanes of Trinity. He is an excellent, excellent guide and is even better because he includes stories of the area when he was a boy growing up and shows pictures of relocated fishing villages.

He gives tours from at 10:00 AM Monday to Saturday for $10, and this is a huge bargain!
We got there about 11:00 AM and saw people strolling around. One of the people living in the village of Trinity said that we should go join the tour--people do that all the time and it's perfectly OK. We took him at his word and joined in and felt we got a true overview of the fishing industry, what had been happening to some of the villages, and how people grew up in this area. This was one of the best tours we've ever taken and I would go back and do it again in an instant. Not to be missed!

4  Thank William M
Management response:Responded September 25, 2011

Thank you so much for writing a review on tripadvisor about your Trinity Historical Walking Tour experience. From your review I remember you very vividly because you joined the tour about halfway through and continued with me to the end. I am so glad you appreciated the combination of Trinity history, Newfoundland history, and personal family history which ties it all together.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Kevin Toope is one of Trinity's Treasures. He is a skilled and knowledgeable storyteller who studs his narration with tapes of voices from the past of burial records and other documentation. The 2 1/2 hour tour included wonderful vantage points to view the harbour and there were spots to rest along the route. One of the best guided tours I have experienced.

6  Thank 49Dianne