“Definitely NOT what we were expecting ...”
Review of Marble Inn Resort

Marble Inn Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Steady Brook B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I actually lived on the West Coast for a couple of years, drove by Marble Inn Resort, and ate at their restaurant, "Madison Grill". We were so impressed by the dining experience, location and the look of the "resort", we thought our stay there would be just as grand! We were disappointed.

They say first impressions mean a lot ... well, we saw what we thought was a picture of all the rooms at Marble Inn Resort on their website, and so when walked in and saw our room, we were shocked! It was not modern or contemporary at all! I assume the picture on the website must be of their new condos ...

First of all, the place was under construction. We knew that ahead of time and still decided to stay there. But we didn't know the elevator was out of commission and that we would have to use the stairs on the outside of the building. Every time I used them, I felt like they were so shaky that they could give way in under me at any moment. That night I went to convenience store in the gas station next to Marble Mountain, and when I came back up the stairs there were at least 30 HUGE spiders and their webs all over the door :(

The room looked very dated, especially in comparison to the lobby and the Madison Grill, and the wooden furniture, trims, doors, etc., was just too much wood. The TV was not a flat screen, which is odd for a "resort" not to have the latest in media equipment. We may not have noticed the box style TV, if not for how small it was in proportion to the room. In addition, there was a futon there that we could have sat on to watch television, except that it was on the same wall as the TV so it couldn't be used for that purpose.

The air conditioning was out, which we knew before we came, but they had fans inserted into the windows. They would have been fine except that the curtains were not wide enough to cover the entire window, so we had to close the vertical blinds which covered the fans! Then they were blowing all around and because we were on the front of building, when the sun came up behind the mountain the next morning, it kept pouring into my eyes through the blowing vertical blinds and had me up at Sunrise.

AND, of all things, we found hair in the bed ... between the sheets :(

Breakfast is included and was ok. It's a self-serve counter with several options - toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea. The brunch menu at Madison Grill looked awesome though if that's not your type of breakfast.

Overall, I was disappointed. We did get a discount because of the construction (which the cashier never applied at first and we had to remind her of). It was not what we were expecting I don't think we'll stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back to overlook the river and stay away from the Sunrise if you like to sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GregCrystal
MarbleInnResort, General Manager at Marble Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

To clarify a few points you have made in your review.

As we are renovating, we offer all of our clients a discounted upgrade to one of our condo suites due to the construction on site. We are in the process of improving our inn rooms and this is why we make this recommendation.

The elevator is a highly technical machine that requires a professionally trained mechanic to repair, as we are in Western Newfoundland it does require a little more time to get a technician out to fix it. These sorts of things happen unexpectedly, but we do try to address them in a timely manner.

As we are in a country setting, do not use any pesticides on our property as we take our environment and local wildlife into consideration as an eco-friendly business. However we do make an effort to to remove any webs and the like from our entrance ways, but as many know it doesn't take long for spiders to reconstruct their webs.

We wish your stay was a different experience, and hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was my second time here this year. The construction on the condos has finished however, there are renovations taking place next door at the Inn. However, I did not experience any inconvenience or notice any excessive construction noise. Since the new condos opened in February the grounds are much neater with landscaping completed and parking lots more clearly defined. As before the staff is excellent and very willing to take the extra step to make your stay both comfortable and memorable.

Room Tip: I try to get an end room facing the river to ensure I do not hear any traffic from the highway that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C W
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We spent three nights in one of the two bedroom condo units, and it was fantastic. As other reviewers said, there are great amenities - heated ceramic tiles in the bathroom, bamboo floor, air-jet tub, flatscreen tvs (in the master bedroom and the living area), granite counter tops, beautiful patio with a view of Humber river, touch-screen fireplace and super comfortable beds. When chatting with the owner, we found out that there are a lot of eco-friendly touches (ie, solar panels being added to the inn to power all of the main areas, earth/air heat exchangers, etc). The pool/sauna area is really clean and modern and the staff are great. We dealt with Kelsey at the front desk and she was super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable!

We did a day trip to Gros Morne and popped into Corner Brook a few times, as it is only minutes away. The restaurant, Madisons, was fantastic - high-end dining at reasonable prices.

We are already planning our winter trip to take advantage of the snowmobiling and skiing across the road! Highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: The two bedroom condos also have a foldout couch, so I think it could work for couples, small famili...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We are staying at the Marble Inn for a week and so it has been a delight to find the staff all so helpful and pleasant to deal with. Our one bedroom is nicely appointed and brand new. Very happy to be here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Well I guess the sign that stated "Hard hats must be worn" when I pulled in should have given me a clue. Don't know about the condos but we were in the inn and there was lots of construction activity going on. Power cords running down the stained hallways, etc. The elevator was out of commission so if you were handicapped you might have a little trouble getting your luggage upstairs. We had communicated about our reservation numerous times via email and phone but were never alerted that there was active construction going on in the inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed in one of the 1 bedroom condos at the Marble Inn Resort and were very happy we did. The staff here are excellent and will go above and beyond for you. The condos are beautiful and have nice views of Marble Mountain and being so close by is a plus if you plan to go over there. The condo has flat screens, high end appliances and granite counter tops. The bathrooms have heated ceramic tile and beautiful tiling in the shower as well. There is also a pool, sauna and work out room located in the Inn which is a huge plus and is very enjoyable. The beds are extremely comfortable and we loved the pillows! This is such a excellent place to stay, highly recommend for any kind of trip, family, romance, etc.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Asherley1
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was probably one of the first people to stay in the new suites, and I'm certainly proud to have chosen Marble Inn Resort as my destination. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and always would go the extra mile whenever I'd have a question. The swimming pool and fitness room were available for use upon request, and the restaurant "Madison's" has to be the best food on the island, in my opinion. I will say that ALOT of the reviews listed on this site are very misleading, as they are referring to when the cabins were in place (which they no longer are) They have been replaced with beautiful suites in between the Humber River and Marble Mountain. I would recommend this place to any and everyone, and for the people who may have had a bad experience before, if they don't give Marble Inn Resort another chance, considering it's practically a brand new resort, then it's their loss. Stay here, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: The Condo's are an absolute must!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Marblewood Village Resort
Marblewood Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Steady Brook
The Marble Villa at Marble Mountain Resort

Been to Marble Inn Resort? Share your experiences!