“Delicious and different!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Madison's

Madison's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Corner Brook, Canada
“Delicious and different!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Moose on the menu! Keeps it local for sure! Waitress informed patrons of events taking place in the area.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Broadwayfan154963

Ottawa
“A treat in the heart of Humber Valley - great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were pleased to find this restaurant for higher end food with great service. The atmosphere is casual, but the quality of the meals and attention to service is excellent. Both our waitress and the bartender were very friendly and happy to talk about the food, the wine, the skiing, the places to see and to know a little about us as well.

This visit for dinner was at the end of our trip and we were happy to have a break from the traditional Newfoundland food or pubs. My husband said it was the best Atlantic Salmon he had on the island (we were there for 12 days) - nicely cooked and not overpowered in flavour by the maple butter. My beef striploin with hollandaise was excellently paired with very creamy, garlic mashed potatoes. Thank you to the chef and to the great waitress (from Aurora) and her partner, the bartender for making us feel at home and more importantly, being well looked after.

Finding this place as a tourist was not easy! Two problems - our GPS did not show it as a food option (we use Garmon regularly in our travels). In addition, there were NO signs for Madison's anywhere on the street, or for directions. We had to call the Marble Inn twice to find out where it was....and this was a local referral from the Humber Valley Lodge rentals staff. Funny, we couldn't even see the Madison's name on the outside of the building - you only saw it when you entered the building. Perhaps this is what the owners want - only the locals or those staying at the Inn? I wouldn't keep that a secret - share your good food and service!

• Visited July 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Unique Menu - Delicious Food - Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I ate here twice during my stay. First night I had beef tenderloin, second night lamb. Both were recommended by my server, who was very knowledgable about the food and wine selections. Both meals were delicious and plentiful. The chef was as good as you would expect in a high end restaurant in a big city. Very pleasant surprise since this is a sleepy hamlet, nowhere near a big city. I also had wine and dessert with both meals. Decent wine list, very special homemade desserts. I highly recommend this restaurant even if you aren't staying at the resort.

Visited June 2013
St. John's
“A surprisingly delightful restaurant seemingly in the middle of nowhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I first discovered this restaurant several years ago. It's in an odd location where you'd expect at best a menu of burgers and fish and chips. But there are many items on the menu that you'd find in a high class restaurant (rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, etc.) and they do not disappoint. This restaurant does include the more common fare that you'd expect in a pub-style restaurant too, so it works well for a family when the children want burgers and the parents want something fancier that they wouldn't cook at home. Each time I've been at this restaurant it hasn't disappointed me; I've been delighted each time.

• Visited May 2013
Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well Done, Madison”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've always heard good things about dining at Madison's. Everyone else within our party (six family members) said the same thing, yet this was the first time for all of us. I'm not sure why that's the case, but now that we've been, we'll all go back.

We made reservations although it wasn't probably wasn't required for a Tuesday night. The service was excellent - our waitress was very knowledgeable, professional and looked after our needs, knowing when and what to do without asking, etc. Behind where we were seated, you could see the two chefs working which was fun/interesting.

Any issue that came up was politely brought to our server's attention and was resolved to our satisfaction, as should be the case. I find that people will often complain after the fact, and not take the proper route to resolve the problem, for whatever reason. In this case, my uncle's meal was a little too salty for his liking. He relayed his thoughts, the server listened, and she then brought him a new meal to his satisfaction. Any good restaurant will do this - you simply have to speak up!

I'd give this review a full five out of five rating, but there's room for improvement. They could do a better job on signage directing traffic to the building. I also can't understand how Madison's doesn't have its own website, with a lot more content geared towards what it's like to dine there (photos, chef profiles, etc). The Marble Inn (and the self-contained Madison's) is impressive - the current online presence doesn't do it justice, which in my opinion is a shame.

Finally, why the "powers that be" have chosen a 3rd party, Flash-based menu system, thereby eliminating all iPhone/iPad users from previewing where they might dine out, is a huge mistake on management's part.

• Visited April 2013