“did the job”

Java Jack's Restaurant & Gallery
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Not many options in Rocky Harbor. Went here after our hike in Gros Morne and chose because of the reviews. In all, it fed us. The soup was pretty good, chowder was okay. We had a chicken wrap which was a bit dry. The muffins were pretty good.

What kinda soured our experience though was getting charged an extra few dollars. We asked for a receipt and was given a manual filled receipt. Being pretty fatigued from our hike, didn't realize till getting back to our motel that we had been overcharged. Had a few instances of this happen on the trip but in all no great harm done. Still, nothing you wish to experience.

In general, always good to be paying attention when you are getting rung up anywhere you go

1  Thank Kyo S
There are newer reviews for Java Jack's Restaurant & Gallery

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was a popular take-out place for locals. Offered fresher fare than the classic Fish 'n Chips options that abounded. Coffee was good and muffin was fine.

1  Thank iluvsynchro
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is by no means a 5 star restaurant , but for the area, it is very good. We had lunch in the upstairs area, purchased a packed lunch and had breakfast and all were of good quality. The only downside is that the service upstairs was a little slow. if in the area, stop by for coffee and a snack, but not maybe worth a long drive. We were staying nearby and their breakfast was alot better than our hotel one. They serve lots of fesh food and it appeared to be cooked to order.

2  Thank Urchin101
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to this place because of the high ratings. I guess given the options in Rocky harbour, it is not a bad choice - you get to avoid the deep fried food that all the others offer. Teh atmosphere is very nice. however, we were disappointed with the food we got. A "tomatoe soup" at this establishment meant warmed canned diced tomatoes with some fresh basil on top - really??? i would be embarrassed to serve this anywhere, and they even charge money for this! the fish was good, but the rice was old, bland, and slightly warm... the gluten free chocolate cake was good as well.

if there were better options in town, i would avoid this. unfortunately there aren't that many other options, especially if you want to avoid fried food.

1  Thank travel00911
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had high expectations for Java Jack's after a friend highly recommended it and mentioned that he ate there multiple times when he was in Rocky Harbour. We were staying in another town and almost made the drive into Rocky Harbour just to have lunch here and I hate to say that perhaps it wasn't quite worth the drive.

I had the seafood chowder and fish cakes. The chowder tasted okay, and out of all the seafood chowders I've had in Newfoundland (this was my 7th) I'd have to say this was probably the least impressive. It was the least loaded with seafood, kind of powdery, and not that tasty. Chowders from other restaurants in Newfoundland that we've visited had fresh fish, lobster, shrimp etc in their chowders...here, I found lots and lots of seastick chunks. At least, it tasted like seasticks. There were maybe a couple tiny chunks of fish but that was it. I would expect this kind of chowder from a place that typically doesn't get fresh seafood (like my home city in the middle of the mountains), but for a place that is supposed to have fresh seafood, I expected better.

The fish cakes were good but not great. There were 2 medium to large-ish cakes and it came with a few greens and a side of slaw in a ketchup ramekin, but I expected a little bit more. One was formed well and the other looked like a pancake...not sure what happened there. It tasted great with the salsa but the overall meal portion was so small that I was still hungry after I finished my meal.

I ordered the pound cake for dessert and that might have been the best part of my meal. It was soft and moist and a great size for the price I paid. Coffee was ok, a bit on the cold side...might have come from a pot that had been sitting around for awhile.

Service was decent, although I felt like our server didn't actually want to serve us...when we asked to see a dessert menu, she suggested we could pick up muffins and cookies from the cafe below...I understand she was probably trying to give us some options, but I did ask to see a dessert menu and it just seemed like she didn't want to serve us anymore.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed in our meal here. It could have been that I had too high of expectations. It might have been better if we just casually dropped by without knowing about this place. We've gone to other better restaurants in Gros Morne park, unfortunately...I made a point in eating here while planning our trip to Newfoundland and I'm sad to say that it was not worth the place in our itinerary.

1  Thank Karman T