“Possibly best in Twillingate”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Harbour
Naples Florida
“Possibly best in Twillingate”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Our room faced the beautiful harbour, looked good in spite of all the rain! Room was clean and comfortable, staff was excellent. Enjoyed Anchors Aweigh show. Only problem was all the early risers who don't have consideration for other guests, up making a racket before 6 am.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
OVM2730, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hi and thanks for your most kind review. Just a note for readers that we are actually in Gros Morne (easy to mistake though as Twillingate is a real gem as well :) Hope to see you again in the future (without the noisy early morning guests). Cheers, Todd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is a real gem, and I can't believe they don't charge far, far more for it. The rooms are maintained to a very high standard, and the location and view are simply stunning. The restaurant is superb.

I would have given a 5* excellent review were it not for the fact that the whole experience was spoiled by a member of the housekeeping staff. They first woke me by knocking on my door at 0830, wanting to come and clean my room. I had just got back to sleep when, at 0845 then then ENTERED the room, and had to be asked to leave. I finally gave up when at 0945 they knocked on the door again. The receptionist was extremely apologetic when I checked out, but to be honest the damage was already done.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hi John;
We are so pleased with your review of the property and we thank you so much for the great information for guests regarding the food at the Oceans Room and the comfy rooms. I was surprised about the housekeeping incident and we have made certain that the housekeeping staff have, and are aware of, a policy on this matter. Hope we can treat you to a better night's sleep next time!
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After driving around the area looking for something economical for one night before making our way up to St Anthony...we decided on The Ocean View because the Manager was very helpful and offered us an Oceanview room for the cityview room rate...This was great property with clean and newly updated rooms....It was very relaxing with beautiful sunsets. We stayed longer than we anticipated because we loved the comfortable beds and the proximity to so many things to do...I also appreciated the upgrade. I highly recommend anyone thinking of staying in Rocky Harbour to stay here! Also you will notice the walls lined with artwork from a local artist...quite pricy but nice to see the hotel supporting the guy! Nice touch...

Room Tip: You definitely want an Ocean View room for the sunsets!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OhCanadaEh_GM
OVM2730, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thanks...I remember you guys...tourism connection right? So happy you enjoyed the experience and the beds at the Ocean View Hotel ....really appreciate you coming back on your trip back down the peninsula. Great tip re the ocean view! Hope you can come back again sometime.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during our trip through Gros Morne this summer. I was drawn to the hotel largely for its location and high reviews on this site. While I cannot complain about the location, I question a lot of the high reviews that the hotel has received, as my impressions were not the same.

As I understand it, the hotel was upgraded from being a motel under different management in recent years. I found that the renovation left much to be desired. Our room was very poorly lit, with a number of quirks: the layout was poor, there was no fan in the bathroom, and we were never given the key to either our deadbolt or exterior door, causing us to lock ourselves out on one occasion.

We were also without wifi for the entirety of our two night stay. I raised this shortly after our arrival to the desk staff, but didn't receive any response suggesting that they were making efforts to remedy the problem. I raised the issue again upon checkout. The agent seemed to be unaware that there was an issue at all. I suggested that this should merit some discount, and they reduced my bill by $10.

Our stay was not without its highlights. The hotel band, Anchors Aweigh, provided an excellent performance. We received helpful advice on planning our stay in the park and I enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast that we ate in the hotel restaurant.

While I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed with the experience, I think the hotel is overpriced for what you get. In future, I would try to book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for time in reviewing your stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the location, food and entertainment. I apologize that you were let down by the room and recognize the lighting issues with a few rooms (to be upgraded for 2014). Not sure why you did not get a key for the outside? Also, the internet issue was resolved...so sorry it occurred during your visit. Hope we can make it up by exceeding your expectations on the next visit.

Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely setting, stayed there with some friends and took in the Anchors Aweigh show. Stayed in the Oceanview Suite - the room was spacious and beautifully appointed; however, I would have expected a nicer bathroom - this one only had a shower stall, no bathtub. The restaurant food was quite good, however, the service was below standard both at dinner and breakfast the next morning. The hotel staff, however, were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hote.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms have an amazing view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the review! Glad you had a nice stay with us. That's a great room and we simply decided to go with a big shower instead of a bath...thinking we may add a Jacuzzi. Not sure what happened re the service at dinner...fee free to email us as I do appreciate knowing and need the details to fix the issues. Thanks again for your time!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times and ate at the restaurant many times - it's one of our favorite places here at Gros Morne. Tonight in one of the mussels I found a worm in a shell of one of the mussels about 1 1/2 inches long. I told the waiter and she brought it back to the kitchen - the chef's explanation was that it was a mussel tongue! Please don't insult my intelligence with that! Even if it's not your fault that there was a worm there you could have recognized how gross and unappetizing that was - but there wasn't any empathy whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Islandwandergirl
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi there and thanks for the review. I am glad you have had some nice stays with us and do apologize for the dinner incident. I can only conclude that it was an unfortunate miscommunication between your server and the chef...and a bad call on the server's part from there forward. Pretty sure we've cleared this one up for future visits!
Bancroft
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Rocky Harbour is a lovely seaside village located within the boundaries of Gros Morne National Park. The Ocean View Hotel lives up to its name as it is located just across the road from the harbour in the centre of town. Our room was clean and quiet. We appreciated having a small patio just outside with a bench on which to sit. The attached restaurant served tasty food and the staff was very friendly. A pub with regular live entertainment is also located within the hotel. The Ocean View is in an ideal location to take advantage of all the activities that Gros Morne offers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ocean side so you can enjoy a beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey S
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the great review. Appreciate the feedback very much. Glad you had a nice stay with us and thanks for the advice for people looking through the reviews. Hope to host you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rocky Harbour
#1 of 4 in Norris Point
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!