“Not Sure What the Buzz is About”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Harbour
Toronto, Canada
“Not Sure What the Buzz is About”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during our trip through Gros Morne this summer. I was drawn to the hotel largely for its location and high reviews on this site. While I cannot complain about the location, I question a lot of the high reviews that the hotel has received, as my impressions were not the same.

As I understand it, the hotel was upgraded from being a motel under different management in recent years. I found that the renovation left much to be desired. Our room was very poorly lit, with a number of quirks: the layout was poor, there was no fan in the bathroom, and we were never given the key to either our deadbolt or exterior door, causing us to lock ourselves out on one occasion.

We were also without wifi for the entirety of our two night stay. I raised this shortly after our arrival to the desk staff, but didn't receive any response suggesting that they were making efforts to remedy the problem. I raised the issue again upon checkout. The agent seemed to be unaware that there was an issue at all. I suggested that this should merit some discount, and they reduced my bill by $10.

Our stay was not without its highlights. The hotel band, Anchors Aweigh, provided an excellent performance. We received helpful advice on planning our stay in the park and I enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast that we ate in the hotel restaurant.

While I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed with the experience, I think the hotel is overpriced for what you get. In future, I would try to book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for time in reviewing your stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the location, food and entertainment. I apologize that you were let down by the room and recognize the lighting issues with a few rooms (to be upgraded for 2014). Not sure why you did not get a key for the outside? Also, the internet issue was resolved...so sorry it occurred during your visit. Hope we can make it up by exceeding your expectations on the next visit.

Todd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely setting, stayed there with some friends and took in the Anchors Aweigh show. Stayed in the Oceanview Suite - the room was spacious and beautifully appointed; however, I would have expected a nicer bathroom - this one only had a shower stall, no bathtub. The restaurant food was quite good, however, the service was below standard both at dinner and breakfast the next morning. The hotel staff, however, were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hote.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms have an amazing view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the review! Glad you had a nice stay with us. That's a great room and we simply decided to go with a big shower instead of a bath...thinking we may add a Jacuzzi. Not sure what happened re the service at dinner...fee free to email us as I do appreciate knowing and need the details to fix the issues. Thanks again for your time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times and ate at the restaurant many times - it's one of our favorite places here at Gros Morne. Tonight in one of the mussels I found a worm in a shell of one of the mussels about 1 1/2 inches long. I told the waiter and she brought it back to the kitchen - the chef's explanation was that it was a mussel tongue! Please don't insult my intelligence with that! Even if it's not your fault that there was a worm there you could have recognized how gross and unappetizing that was - but there wasn't any empathy whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Islandwandergirl
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi there and thanks for the review. I am glad you have had some nice stays with us and do apologize for the dinner incident. I can only conclude that it was an unfortunate miscommunication between your server and the chef...and a bad call on the server's part from there forward. Pretty sure we've cleared this one up for future visits!
Bancroft
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Rocky Harbour is a lovely seaside village located within the boundaries of Gros Morne National Park. The Ocean View Hotel lives up to its name as it is located just across the road from the harbour in the centre of town. Our room was clean and quiet. We appreciated having a small patio just outside with a bench on which to sit. The attached restaurant served tasty food and the staff was very friendly. A pub with regular live entertainment is also located within the hotel. The Ocean View is in an ideal location to take advantage of all the activities that Gros Morne offers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ocean side so you can enjoy a beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey S
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the great review. Appreciate the feedback very much. Glad you had a nice stay with us and thanks for the advice for people looking through the reviews. Hope to host you again!

Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed there 2nights when visiting Gros Morne park. Rooms were fine, nothing fancy. The food in the restaurant though was very good and good value for both breakfast and dinner (had lobster linguini). The motel bar shows are busy, and sell out, so buy your entry tickets a day in advance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks for the time in completing your review. I am glad you enjoyed the dining and I too always go for the Lobster Linguini. Thanks for adding a few tips for your fellow travelers.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were supposed to stay at the Ocean View 2 nights but due to flight cancellation we only had one night. It was very quick 3:30 AM arrival to a 8:30 AM departure. This was unfortunate as we missed what I'm sure would have been an enjoyable evening watching "Oceans Away' theatre and music.
The hotel was extremely nice and did not charge us for the additional night which was of no fault of thiers and a very considerate move on thier part which speaks volumes about how nice the people are. Based on our brief stay and the generosity of the people i would definitely recommend a stay at the Ocean View and try to catch the Oceans Away show i'm certain it would be entertaining.

Room Tip: Try and request a room with the view overlooking the ocean as it would be a beautiful sunset. Traffi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pdamac
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi and thanks for the review.

Glad we could help with your scheduling and were able to accommodate. Travel can surely be an adventure!

Almonte, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Ocean View and their restaurant, staff and the food , oh the food made this our most favourite place to stay in NFLD besides the Glynmill in Corner Brook.
I was home for the three nights we were there. I felt we were family . Our room was ocean view .Good value for what we paid. clean, clean , clean... The waitress, especially Betty made us feel welcomed. I am gluten free/celiac so I brought my own oats and yes they cooked it up , "no problem my dear", was ther answer. When I did not have oats for breakfast I had their fishcakes and eggs, no flour, no problem. I ate fish every day I had the chance , the best in my humble option. Please visit this hotel, you will be in NFLD and know it. the BEST Sunset any where in the world, as good as BALI, and I have been there 15 times.

Room Tip: Ask for 201 through 212. they are the ocean view. Make sure you climb Gros Morne. It will take you 6...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thelillywhite
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review. Great tips for other travelers here as well! So happy you enjoyed the stay. BTW we use rice flour (gluten free) in many of our recipes now...I think it tastes better!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rocky Harbour
#1 of 4 in Norris Point
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!