“Returning again. I love this hotel and restaurant”
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Harbour
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Ocean View and their restaurant, staff and the food , oh the food made this our most favourite place to stay in NFLD besides the Glynmill in Corner Brook.
I was home for the three nights we were there. I felt we were family . Our room was ocean view .Good value for what we paid. clean, clean , clean... The waitress, especially Betty made us feel welcomed. I am gluten free/celiac so I brought my own oats and yes they cooked it up , "no problem my dear", was ther answer. When I did not have oats for breakfast I had their fishcakes and eggs, no flour, no problem. I ate fish every day I had the chance , the best in my humble option. Please visit this hotel, you will be in NFLD and know it. the BEST Sunset any where in the world, as good as BALI, and I have been there 15 times.

Room Tip: Ask for 201 through 212. they are the ocean view. Make sure you climb Gros Morne. It will take you 6...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thelillywhite
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thanks so much for the great review. Great tips for other travelers here as well! So happy you enjoyed the stay. BTW we use rice flour (gluten free) in many of our recipes now...I think it tastes better!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Must admit that we had some trepidation when booking this hotel as one tourist guide had it rated at 2 1/2 stars. For the life of me have no idea why that is as we've stayed at many accomodations in various parts of the world and would give this a minimum of 3 1/2 if not higher! We booked a Jr. Suite <$199 plus tax> on the second level which was spotless, spacious, and had a full balcony overlooking the harbour. The king bed was most comfortable and we slept soundly. The bathroom was recently updated and had loads of room. WiFi worked fine as well. There was a 'boiled water' advisory during our stay due to a water break and the hotel supplied complimentary water for teeth washing, etc. The hotel has a superb restaurant <lobster dinner for $23 if you can imagine> and there are other super facilities in town <Java Jacks in particular was outstanding!> The hotel also has a pub and would highly recommend booking Anchors Aweigh <$25> - they were playing Wednesday and Friday evenings when we were there <four of the guys in the band also work the boat tour on Bonne Bay in nearby Norris Point. Oceanview also has the boat tour office so is very convenient to pick up tickets there <we went on Western Brook Pond which was well worth it!>. The girls on the front desk and the cleaning ladies were most charming/accomodating at all times! We liked the hotel so much we stayed again on the way back from St. Anthony's. Had a flat tire on our rental on a Saturday night and the girl at the desk arranged for her uncle <owns a garage in town> who fixed it pronto on Sunday morning !! Still find it difficult to believe one could get such great service! My wife and I loved this hotel and would highly recommend it to others travelling in the area!

Room Tip: Pay the bit extra for front side <oceanview> - is well worth it plus second level rooms have b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TajanderStAlbert
OVM2730, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for the great review and the tips for other travelers! Your review says it all and we appreciate the time in passing along this information. I love the story about the flat tire and I know exactly who that was...I have thanked her for the great service. Also, appreciate the comments on the Lobster and we do try to pass along deals where we can find them...we were getting a great price on local lobster in June! Hope you can visit again soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We arrived at the ocean front hotel on Sunday evening and were greeted by a lovely young lady who kindly checked us in.

We made out way to a lovely 2nd floor suite. The room was huge and thee from the balcony was incredible!! The hotel is across the street from a dock and we arrived to see the gorgeous sunset which could easily be viewed from our room overlooking the St Lawrence gulf.

The second floor boasts an incredibly delicious breakfast and dinner menu (we weren't around for lunch) including lobster dinner, linguini and other yummy dishes. I recommend the lobster omelette for breakfast! Friendly staff and good service.

On Wednesday night we headed to the pub on the first floor and saw the popular Anchors Aweigh band. They were not only entertaining and skilled musicians but funny as well! Tickets are 25$ and the show is well worth it! Food is pub fare and very tasty!!

With the exception of one slightly rude last at the main desk of the hotel Wednesday night, I would say the service wax excellent!! Hence my 4 rating.

Clean rooms and good location. Exploring Gros Morne is a must, especially the Western Brook Pond.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Eff_Pea

Thanks for the great review...we really appreciate the feedback. Glad you enjoyed the room and the food...I too love the Lobster Omelette...my breakfast vice! Love to know more about the last comment you referred to as we pride ourselves on friendly and professional service. Feel free to email us details. Hop to host you again in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The service is second to none! We stayed for two nights and our suite was very spacious and comfortable. We ate in the dining room - fantastic food and also a gorgeous view of the ocean. I highly recommend staying at the Ocean View Hotel! There is fantastic live entertainment every single night of the week at the Anchor Pub located in the hotel. And the show Anchors Aweigh is not to be missed! So entertaining and well worth the money! Anchors Aweigh plays a couple times a week and is superb! We definitely plan to return to the Ocean View Hotel when we are back in the area!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank NLTravellingFoodie

Thanks for the awesome review! We love hearing that you enjoyed your experience here. Hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great staff as are most Newfoundlanders. Food is a bit pricy at the diner lounge but delicious (lobster dinner and surf and turf, partridgeberry / bakeapple cheesecake). We were lucky to get a great view of the ocean. Flowers on the bedspreads got to go as most hotels and motels on the planet. No fridge. Close to restaurants and stores in town.

Room Tip: Eat next door at the Fisherman's Landing for half the price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_in_Whitby

Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed the room and the food. I know the bed covers you are speaking of...we have about 10 of these in select rooms and they are new and custom made by my family :) . Thanks for the tips as well.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very nice place to stay, continental breakfast was included. Travelled there with my son's hockey team. Staff were very friendly. Rooms were very clean and quiet. Area had some beautiful scenery, great place for pictures.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel facing the harbour, sunsets are breathtaking.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PeterHNewf

Hi and thanks for the review! We love hosting the hockey groups here in Gros Morne and the staff especially like having the kids here at the hotel. See you again next hockey season!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here after hiking for 4 days in Gros Morne National Park . After 4 days of sleeping in a tent and hiking through the rain with only our packs on our back, we were excited to experience the comforts of home - a clean, warm bed, a hot shower and a warm meal. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite (which must have been a converted conference room because the layout was identical to the layout one floor below - which WAS the conference room) which was a spacious suite with a beautiful view overlooking the ocean (and the wonderful sunsets). The bed was comfortable and the linens clean, and the bathroom, although small, was clean and had a shower with great water pressure and a temperature dial that was easy to use (i.e., not one of those 'sensitive' dials that go from cold to scorching hot with a mere nudge). The attendants at the front desk were polite and knowledgeable. We elected to eat down the street, but returned for some live music and draft beer at the hotel bar, and had a great time - the music was great (local tunes) and the beer was cheap. I would definitely stay there again if I was passing through again on an 'active' vacation.

Room Tip: Pick the honeymoon suite! Its worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark B

Thanks for the great review! That room is certainly about the nicest place you can go to get out of the rain! It sure was a conference room but we converted it about 2 yrs ago to a signature suite...next upgrade will be a patio! Glad you enjoyed the entertainment as well...come again soon!

Todd Wight

#4 of 4 in Norris Point
Riverside Chalets
Riverside Chalets
#1 of 1 in River of Ponds

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!