“Reasonable place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean View Hotel

Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rocky Harbour
“Reasonable place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ideal location in Gros Morne National Park. Room was as expected, not luxurious, but sufficient for a good night's sleep. Stayed there on a Saturday night, room was on the town side (and not the harbor side). No issues with noise from the bar. Service at the restaurant was warm and friendly, food (cod special) was delicious for dinner; service less inviting at breakfast.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi;

Thank you for the great feedback. Glad you enjoyed the stay with us. Not sure what happened re service at breakfast but would love for you to email me with details as we pride ourselves on making your complete experience an enjoyable one.

Todd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room was OK and the view excellent. The staff on the other hand fail the friendly Canadian welcome we have had everywhere else, and since. The restaurant food is not worth the cost, on my first night I had the salmon, it was dry and over cooked. It is the only resaurant we have come across in 22 years of travel where the kitchen staff dictate to management when they will serve guests. Our first night we reserved a table for 8:30pm, the next night we wanted to do the same, oh no the kitchen has a group to prepair for and will not accept any one into the restaurant after 8pm tonight. I also noticed the young male table boy placing cutlery on the table by the end you eat with. On the next night the waitress wanted to clear my friends plate, she was aghast when I pionted out that she souldn't until I had finished. The next morning this same youngish waitress was at breakfast. I heard her say to an older waitress that she was stuck with Mr La-dee-da. Whwn I paid the bill I did not get a smile, a thank you or for that matter a word just a terse look. This young lady(?) deserves the sack.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else, if you can't a side room overlooking the bay is OK
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Douglas M
Hello;

We appreciate your time in making this review.

Sounds like you had some issues with your server. A discussion with the manager would have been appropriate for sure. We have followed up on the comments and addressed the matters as required.

Carlisle, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here in 2001 and decided to try it again this trip. What a surprise! It's all been remodeled and upgraded and we weren't sure it was the same place. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and our dinner and breakfast at the restaurant were quite good. The view of the harbour is a nice finishing touch.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
OVM2730, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for the review!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed the changes we have made! Glad you enjoyed the room and the view.

Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. We had a ground level floor room with partial ocean view.

We arrived early, and they quick got our rooms ready so we could unpack and go out on our first excursion.

The rooms are clean, and comfortable.

We ate in the dining room upstairs - the dinner was excellent, and a nice view of the ocean.
Our server was professional, and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi there;

Thanks for the great review and we hope you enjoyed your time in Gros Morne National Park. We appreciate your feedback on our hotel and service.

Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Location: The hotel is well located on the seafront. Rocky Harbour itself is well positioned for local
attractions and hiking trails.

Reception: I was given a warm welcome at the start of my three-night stay here. It turned out they
only had me booked in for two nights, but the mistake was corrected with no fuss. I am concerned
though that this might have been more problematic later in the season, when things are busier.

One feature of the reception area that I appreciated was the tourist office off to one side, where you could ask about, and book, local boat tours and so on. I dealt with two women here. The less said about the first one the better, but her colleague the next day more than made amends, being both friendly and well informed.

Accommodation: The room was perhaps a little small, but comfortable enough. There was
a problem with the window fastener, but this was corrected quickly when I brought it to
management’s attention. I didn’t notice the noise problem some other reviewers have commented
on.

Food and drink: I had breakfast all three days of my stay in the restaurant, which was nice and light with a fine view of the sea. The food and service were both very good.

I found the dinner menu a bit pricey though, so the only other food I had was some “pub grub” in the bar. The choice was conventional, but freshly prepared and enjoyable.

I attended the Anchors Aweigh show mentioned by another reviewer. This was good fun and I’d
recommend it.

Mostly a good experience then. I think I'd stay here if I ever passed through Rocky Harbour again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Commodore
Hi there!

Thank you for the detailed review. We really like to have feedback like this and do appreciate you taking the time to let others know about your stay. Hope to host you again in Gros Morne National Park.

New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was definitely looking for a hotel as opposed to a cabin or B&B so Ocean View was an easy decision. Room was very big and had a sliding patio door to a little sitting area. Air conditioning was extremely good and wifi internet was also great.

It wasn't cheap, but it was also the Friday of the Canada Day long weekend, so I'd say it was very fair considering the timing and whatnot.

Parking was tough as they have an event going on Friday night but nothing major. Had to hunt a bit for a spot but it cleared out after 11PM.

The bed was incredibly comfortable and the whole outfit was very clean and bright.

The people I dealt with were extremely friendly and easy to get along with.

The dining room did a great breakfast overlooking the harbour and was much enjoyed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor with a sliding door are a nice bonus.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Hi;

Great review of the property and very helpful to other potential guests. Thanks for visiting us and thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on the property!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Great staff, Very friendly people.Lovely place to walk. Be sure to go to Wildlife Museum close by. Brilliantly done. Good bar with entertainment (Anchors Aweigh).

Internet in lobby and in rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bseagram
Hi!

Awesome review. So glad you enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rocky Harbour
#1 of 4 in Norris Point
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!