“People with mobility issues, please read!”

BonTours Boat Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us on any or all of our four amazing boat tours with live commentary, and experience the beauty of Gros Morne National Park. Each of these tours has it’s own unique offering. Cruise the two connected fjords of scenic Bonne Bay on our Bonne Bay boat tour, witness the inland fjord of Western Brook Pond on our Western Brook Pond boat tour, examine the marine life on our Bonne Bay Discovery boat tour, or relax and enjoy the sunset on our Bonne Bay evening cruise complete with local entertainment and refreshments.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband broke his leg on the first day of our family vacation in Newfoundland. Because he could no longer hike the trails in Gros Morne as planned, he decided to try & make it to the boat on crutches. When we first started out, I saw 2 Bontours employees standing beside an ATV. I asked if they could give my husband a ride and was told no because it was for transporting the staff. There are 2 things that I would like others to learn from our experience... the first is that the trail to the boat can be very challenging for people with mobility issues. The boardwalks can become very slippery from the water splashing over them (my husband almost fell twice!). Also, there are some inclines that could be an issue for seniors. The second thing that I would like people to learn from this is that the Bontours staff were extremely apathetic to our plight. When the staff blew by us in the ATV no one thought to warn us or perhaps suggest that this wasn't a good idea. Many people who passed us on the trail asked why we didn't get a ride from the staff and were shocked when told that they had refused to help. Finally, my husband could go no further. It took some mild hysteria (from me) to finally get someone to pick him up. Later, I found out that several people had approached the staff when they arrived at the dock to inquire about picking up my husband but they too were told no. The man who finally did pick up my husband told him that no one would be there after the tour to help him back. If not for a Parks Canada employee & his ATV, my husband may still be walking. This same employee later went back to pick up a senior with an oxygen tank! This was not the responsibility of Parks Canada! Bontours employees need to get a more helpful attitude and a motorized vehicle for transporting those with mobility issues.

1  Thank woodwardgal
BonToursBT, General Manager at BonTours Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your husband’s misfortune while vacationing here in Gros Morne.

With regards to the ATV with the BonTours staff aboard, unfortunately we are not permitted to carry passengers on this ATV. It is strictly for supplies, staff and emergencies only.

I will certainly pass along your suggestion about the motorized vehicle for people with mobility issues to Parks Canada. Hopefully it is something that could happen in the future.

BonTours staff do strive to accommodate all passengers, and I do apologize if you felt that your issue was not important to us.

All reviews
"great tour"
in 24 reviews
"western brook pond tour"
in 36 reviews
"rock formations"
in 8 reviews
"norris point"
in 20 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 5 reviews
in 3 reviews
"entertaining tour"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Knowledgeable and FUNNY staff!!! commentary helped me to understand how Bonne Bay came to be; soooooo much information about the settling of the area and how it has changed over the years. The "guys" were a real "hoot" ... I always appreciate good humour and the music was terrific. I actually recorded a bit of I is the By (?) and posted on my FB account because that song brought back memories of my childhood when my mom used to sing it to us ....

1  Thank Cashcagegal
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We took the evening boat tour on Canada Day. We saw whales and eagles etc. The commentary by staff was quite informative, and as it was an evening tour, there was a bar so we could enjoy a beer along with the spectacular scenery. To top it all off, there was excellent live Newfoundland music being played in the main cabin which was piped to the upper deck. Met a number of interesting people.

1  Thank Dave2496
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We did the Western brook pond boat tour and the views of the fjord is amazing! It was an extremely windy day but that didn't stop us from having a great time. The boat is large and holds a lot of people, with options to sit inside or out.
The tour guide did a great job of explaining the sites and was very enthusiastic. I would highly recommend this tour if you are visiting Gros morne.

1  Thank AFost1987