“Absolutely the best in Rocky Harbour”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Harbour
Anchor Down Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Rocky Harbour B&B and Inns
“Absolutely the best in Rocky Harbour”
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Vera and Dave are the most wonderful welcoming hosts you could ever wish to meet. They make you feel so at home. The bedrooms are extremely clean as are the bathrooms. We stayed three nights and had the most magnificent breakfasts you could ask for. Each day we were served a different entree and all were scrumptious. Vera and Dave also told us about places to visit and where to eat. We would recommend this B & B to anyone who is going to Gros Morne.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lynn R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pleasant Plains, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I are big travelers and have stayed in B&Bs quite extensively. I can very honestly say that our three nights at the Anchor Down was the very best B&B experience in all of my travels. Vera and Dave make you feel welcome from the moment that you walk up to the front entry (which, upon our arrival, also held a table of fellow guests who invited us to sit out with them in the sunshine for a drink). The entire house is extremely comfortable, clean, and modern. The rooms are large, spotlessly clean, quiet, and oh so comfortable. Not to mention the huge and modern en suite bathroom. And there is no way to write a review about the Anchor Down B&B without mentioning the AMAZING out of this world breakfast. I am not even normally a breakfast eater, but Vera's breakfast is not to be missed. I did not need to eat lunch or much of a dinner on any of our days there (savings!), though we were out hiking Gros Morne all day. Make sure that you come to breakfast hungry and you're set for the rest of the day.

Vera and Dave were an excellent resource for local hints and information about what to do in the park and in town. The B&B is just an easy 5 minute walk down a quiet residential street to the Rocky Harbour main town area and beach. There you can get anything from supplies to dinner to a drink in the evening.

I'll just sum this review up by saying that if you're planning a trip to Gros Morne, look no further for the perfect place to stay. Make your reservations and rest assured that you will be happy, comfortable, and well fed during your Gros Morne adventures. And think of me back home, only wishing for one more of Vera's amazing breakfasts!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NicolaSpringfield_IL
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Vera and Dave made our Rocky Harbour experience so relaxed and comfortable. They are a very warm and welcoming couple who immediately make you feel at home. The breakfasts were out of this world - hearty and delicious! The rooms are large, very clean and very comfortable.They offered suggestions on what to see and where to go and after our three night stay we felt like old friends. The location was great with easy access to the highway and attractions. I hope our paths will cross again in the not to distant future as this was a great Newfoundland experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Patricia B
Scarborough
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here recenlty for 2 nights. Vera and Dave are great hosts and went out of their way to make our visit go as smoothly as possible. When we arrived, somehow, a day early!, Vera immediately called her contacts and found us a place to stay for the first night and gave us breakfast the next morning. We appreciated the way she turned a difficult situation into an opportunity to problem-solve quickly. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean and modern. I liked the simple furnishings of the guest rooms - a change from the knick-knack filled B & B's that are more usual. The breakfasts were fantastic - lots of fresh fruit and some different egg dishes. I liked one so much I got the recipe from her. Vera and Dave are salt of the earth people and it was a pleasure to stay in their B & B.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Fisheagle2513
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Ditto everyone! Vera and Dave run an awseome B&B. (just don't call her ma'am) Comfortable, clean, fast internet and I had to push food away for breakfast. Absolutely delicious, wished I remembered the name of the meal...sounds like "strata"? thank you Vera!

Room Tip: You must stop here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank bagger06
bath, on
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was all set to rave about htis place, then I read some of the other reviews and there is nothing more, really, to say. It was everything you would hope Newfoundland hospitality to be and more. We hope to return and will definitely pick this place again.
Clean, friendly and lots of food...one feels very comfortable here

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank esther q
Orono, ME
Reviewed June 24, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to make the Anchor Down my home base for a week in the Gros Morne area while my husband was in the back country with friends. I couldn't have made a better decision for value, service, and food.

Prior to my visit, I e-mailed with my plans to connect with area musicians and play my harp. Vera and David booked me into a queen room off of the sitting room. The correspondence was prompt and welcoming.

The first thing that you notice when you come in the door is how immaculately clean everything is. There isn't a dust bunny that can get past Vera's detection. The home is tastefully decorated in a casual style which includes some of David's beautiful paintings. The yard is planted with beautiful flowers and the deck is inviting and pleasant.

My room was spacious and bright with plenty of storage for my clothing and gear, room for my harp, and access to outlets for charging a myriad of devices including laptop, phone, and camera. The bathroom was sparkling clean with ample towels and a nice tub and shower.

Breakfast was delicious and substantial. Vera cheerfully accommodated my food allergies each day, and it was impossible to leave the table hungry. There was always a hot entree (partridge-berry pancakes one day, eggs cooked to order the next, and a rolled omelette another morning). Toast from homemade bread, yogurt, local fruit jams, fresh fruit and orange juice always filled out the offerings, as well as bacon, homefries, and beans as occasional sides. It was a feast.

There are many stories about Newfoundland hospitality, and the service provided on this stay proved them to be true. During breakfast gatherings, guests shared notes on their travels or plans, and David and Vera provided recommendations and advice. I came back from a particularly arduous hike one evening, and Vera provided scented epsom salts for a healing bath. When my husband and his friends returned from five days of wilderness backpacking, Vera put out extra towels so that our friends (who were staying in a campground) could have a nice, hot shower. They were also invited to join us for breakfast on our final morning, allowing us all the opportunity to enjoy each other's company before moving on to our separate journeys. Our final night included a gathering of neighbors and family for great food, music, and stories.

I really can't say enough about the welcome and service at the Anchor Down. Vera and David made it an unforgettable part of a wonderful Newfoundland experience. We will return, though it can't possibly be soon enough.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Neddies Harbour Inn
Neddies Harbour Inn
#1 of 4 in Norris Point
Shallow Bay Motel & Cabins

Been to Anchor Down Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!