“The Place to Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Harbour
Anchor Down Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Rocky Harbour B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Ditto everyone! Vera and Dave run an awseome B&B. (just don't call her ma'am) Comfortable, clean, fast internet and I had to push food away for breakfast. Absolutely delicious, wished I remembered the name of the meal...sounds like "strata"? thank you Vera!

Room Tip: You must stop here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank bagger06

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was all set to rave about htis place, then I read some of the other reviews and there is nothing more, really, to say. It was everything you would hope Newfoundland hospitality to be and more. We hope to return and will definitely pick this place again.
Clean, friendly and lots of food...one feels very comfortable here

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank esther q
Reviewed June 24, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to make the Anchor Down my home base for a week in the Gros Morne area while my husband was in the back country with friends. I couldn't have made a better decision for value, service, and food.

Prior to my visit, I e-mailed with my plans to connect with area musicians and play my harp. Vera and David booked me into a queen room off of the sitting room. The correspondence was prompt and welcoming.

The first thing that you notice when you come in the door is how immaculately clean everything is. There isn't a dust bunny that can get past Vera's detection. The home is tastefully decorated in a casual style which includes some of David's beautiful paintings. The yard is planted with beautiful flowers and the deck is inviting and pleasant.

My room was spacious and bright with plenty of storage for my clothing and gear, room for my harp, and access to outlets for charging a myriad of devices including laptop, phone, and camera. The bathroom was sparkling clean with ample towels and a nice tub and shower.

Breakfast was delicious and substantial. Vera cheerfully accommodated my food allergies each day, and it was impossible to leave the table hungry. There was always a hot entree (partridge-berry pancakes one day, eggs cooked to order the next, and a rolled omelette another morning). Toast from homemade bread, yogurt, local fruit jams, fresh fruit and orange juice always filled out the offerings, as well as bacon, homefries, and beans as occasional sides. It was a feast.

There are many stories about Newfoundland hospitality, and the service provided on this stay proved them to be true. During breakfast gatherings, guests shared notes on their travels or plans, and David and Vera provided recommendations and advice. I came back from a particularly arduous hike one evening, and Vera provided scented epsom salts for a healing bath. When my husband and his friends returned from five days of wilderness backpacking, Vera put out extra towels so that our friends (who were staying in a campground) could have a nice, hot shower. They were also invited to join us for breakfast on our final morning, allowing us all the opportunity to enjoy each other's company before moving on to our separate journeys. Our final night included a gathering of neighbors and family for great food, music, and stories.

I really can't say enough about the welcome and service at the Anchor Down. Vera and David made it an unforgettable part of a wonderful Newfoundland experience. We will return, though it can't possibly be soon enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank HarpGirl207
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Everything in this B&B went like a dream. The householders are very nice and extremely helpful (helped us with the tickets of a local show, with bike rentals, etc). B&B is a modern house, well equipped, confortable and quiet. Breakfast was full of fresh fruit (not so usual in Newfoundland) and well cooked specialities.
Definitely a good choice for us, and an ideal base for exploring Gros Morne national park.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LoBe69
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in June 2011.
This place + their owners are very good. When visiting Rocky Harbour, you must stay here and enjoy the hospitality!

First of all the friendlyness of the owners, Vera and Dave. Very kind, very helpful and a great hospitality!

The room was big and clean; the bed was very good, the bathroom was clean and spacious with clean, fresh towels. The breakfast is awesome: eggs, potatoes, ham, bacon, fruit, yoghurt, toast. You name it and the serve it to you.

Location is good too. Not on a busy road, but still right in the middle of Gros Morne Park. Rocky Harbour features some good restaurants too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Multax
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was the first of my stops in Newfoundland and I am almost positive it will be the best, though I am staying at 5 other places before I depart. I stayed for 2 nights, the hosts are fantastic, breakfast is mind-blowing, my room was spectacular (as was the jacuzzi!) I received quite a few recommendations on where to go, and had an incredible time. Everything about this B&B exceeded my expectations... I came as a solo traveler, wanting peace and quiet and everything was absolutely perfect. I literally wish I was still there. The location is perfect, everything was immaculate. I could not have had a better time, and the owners could not be better people! If I end up back in Rocky Harbour, I will be staying at Anchor Down again!

Room Tip: Get the jacuzzi and show up for breakfast hungry!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank tyrannosauruswrx
Reviewed June 16, 2011

My husband and 2 children stayed at Anchor Down for 2 nights while in Newfoundland June 2011 and wish we had stayed longer. Our hosts Vera and Dave were fabulous. They were always available and made us feel like their home was ours. Their house is immaculate and the rooms extremely comfortable. The beds were cozy with down comforters and quilts - all cotton bedding. The highlight of my trip to NL was when Vera so gracioulsly took me to Norris Point and gave me a tour of her homeplace. The breakfast every morning was fresh and delicious with large portions and all the coffee and juices you want. My children (17 and 23) felt so at home. Vera is one of the kindest, warmest people I have ever met. I read where someone gave a good review but a negative was no view. You dont need one, you see a view all day while you are in the park. It is a trade-off for having a real home away from home.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Gros Morne National Park
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Anchor Down Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!