“Gift Shop with a Kitchen”
Review of Treasure Box

Treasure Box
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Local Crafts, Local Knitted Goods, Great Food and Coffee
Washington, DC
“Gift Shop with a Kitchen”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Treasure Box is a gift shop selling chotchkies and souvenirs, but also has a kitchen. I ordered a combination plate that included the salted cod fishcakes, baked beans, and toutons. The fishcakes were formed with more cake than fish and lacked a nice crispy exterior, but still maintained a tasty flavor. The baked beans were very standard fair, while the toutons (fried dough) dipped with molasses hit my stomach with a "thud." I found the split-pea soup (a Newfoundland classic) to be rather tasty and the highlight of my meal.

Overall, I have provided better reviews for other establishments in the area that focus more on the quality of their food than selling souvenirs.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Don N

• Hebrew first
Ontario, Canada
“good Newfoundland food at more reasonable prices!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Had fish cakes here with the toutons and beans for just $11.95 while the day before that we had fish cakes at Java Jacks where we spent $18 for 3 fish cakes and it felt like we were disturbing the waitress when we ordered....come on people! The food was very good at Treasure Box and the lady who runs the place showed us downhome hospitality! Will definately go back again if we are in Gros Morne area

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank marandbrent
St. John's, Canada
“Food with Great Comfort”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The Treasure Box or "Joyce's", as we call it, is a small intimate cafe with great food. Joyce, the owner, is a welcoming soul, and very keen to help in whatever way she can. The food tastes homemade, nothing out of tins, packages, etc. and her breadbuns, which accompany just about everything are delicious. Try the "special"...fishcakes, toutons and baked beans...my personal favourite.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank SteffieNL
Torbay, NL
“Loved it here!”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stopped in here just to look for souvenirs to bring home, however once inside we were so taken by the smell of the great food we had to have some lunch there! We had toutons, baked beans abd fish cakes. It was fantastic! I don't even like fish cakes but I devoured half of my fiance's! I don't know how this places doesn't have more reviews!

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank klm277
Toronto, Canada
“Great food I can't believe nobody has reviewed this!”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Well I guess I'm the first. My wife and I had breakfast here and it was absolutely delicious. There is a great selection of Newfoundland specialties and I wish we could have had lunch or dinner there going back is a must. They have a nice gift shop with lots of nice collectables, souvenirs and preserves. It is a great place to go if you want to engulf yourself in the culture of Newfoundland very friendly and timely service.

• Visited June 2011