“Fishers' Loft”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Rexton
Fishers' Loft Inn by Ship Cove
Ranked #1 of 2 Port Rexton B&B and Inns
Windsor, Canada
“Fishers' Loft”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at Fishers' for two nights. Our room ( # 11 ) was very roomy and the bathroom extremely large. The onsite dinner is $55 pp and the hot breakfast which featured two hot choices to accompany the fruits and oatmeal was very good.
There is a beautiful view of Fox Island and the ability for a nice hilly walk around the area exists.
We saw moose on two separate occasions during our stay.

Room Tip: You can walk ( no more than 5 minutes ) to the dining room building or drive if you wish.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Seattle
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Beautiful lodge, perfect for hiking the Skerwink trail - just walk out the door and down the trail right from the lodge! The rooms were nice and well outfitted. We stayed in the new Conference building and although there was only a peek view, it was very nice and has a great deck for sitting and enjoying the view. We LOVED the wonderful, fresh eggs & bacon breakfast you'll be craving after all those starchy NL continental breakfasts.

Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I wasn't wowed with the Fisher's Loft Inn but liked the location. We were in the new section up the hill where they have two large rooms (i.e. a conference center) on the bottom floor. It was really just like a hotel only we had to walk down the very steep (and I mean steep) hill to get to the main house. I'm kind of surprised they don't warn people in advance just how steep the hill is in case someone isn't an avid hiker. If you're not able bodied or are elderly and not able to hike, then you'll have to drive down the steep incline and turn right then right again and right into the main area. There isn't a lot of parking down where the main houses are either but there is plenty of parking for the new hotel rooms at the top of the hill. The lighting is poor at night so be careful going up since there are no barriers.

The room looks like a typical hotel room but they threw an old area rug in there and placed it in an awkward area where we kept tripping on it. I'd recommend they remove it all together before someone gets hurt. We did have a view of the bay but because it was so humid, even the fan provided didn't help with the extreme humidity. They only have one working window which was really disappointing since the rooms get very, very hot. They really needed to make sure that all three windows were operable but sadly that's a big mistake they made.

Another mistake was the lack of a working exhaust fan in the bathroom. There's no window in there and no operable exhaust fan so it got steamy very quickly. The ceilings in the bathroom are very high so the entire room gets steamed up. The shower is nice but there is no hand rail like most hotel showers so it was hard to get in since the shower is wide and there's no mat or appliques on the floor to prevent slipping. I can only imagine how difficult and potentially dangerous it can be for some others. The shower head was very high as well so I couldn't reach it to change the position.

They do provide small toiletries but I found the body lotion impossible to get out of the bottle. Luckily I brought my own.

The bed was very uncomfortable even though it's new as were the pillows. I had a very difficult time sleeping there because of the hot room and uncomfortable bed and pillows (and the bedding is very stiff like it had starch in it). We woke up with pain in our necks and shoulders.

We made the mistake of having breakfast there one morning. It cost $16 pp plus tax and was not worth $16. They have some fresh fruit, a variety of cereals and hot oatmeal. I would have paid a smaller amount just for that. They also have two hot breakfast options (i.e. pancakes or scrambled eggs with bacon). We got the pancakes which were not cooked well and had a strange taste -- nothing like typical pancakes. They were blueberry but tasted off and the pancake was so thick it looked like two pancakes and didn't cook well enough in the middle so it was very doughy. I couldn't eat it and put it to the side yet the waitress didn't ask if I wanted something else instead and they were quite happy to charge me the $16 for something I didn't eat. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast. You also have to work hard to find someone to top up your coffee. I'm still shocked that breakfast isn't included in the rate. I've never experienced that at an Inn before so this really isn't an Inn, but rather a hotel.

The advantage of staying here is that is is within walking distance to the Skerwink Trail and there are nice views of the area.

The rooms have a small TV in them as well as a hairdryer and robes but they did not have an iron and ironing board as advertised, nor did they have a DVD player or any videos. They do have books and some board games in the main house though.

They do provide binoculars which came in handy while hiking the Skerwink Trail and they do provide a bag of trail mix that has sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, dried papaya. There are also large umbrellas by the entrance in case it's raining. Those are nice touches but the breakfast wasn't good, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the room was very hot since they only had one working window (plus the exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't work), so I'm knocking off a couple of stars for all of that. Plus it was more of a hotel than an Inn feel. We certainly weren't well rested while staying there but we did like the location and thought it was very clean.

Port Rexton like many other towns in the Bonavista Peninsula doesn't have many options when it comes to dining or lodging so this is probably the best of what's available.

Room Tip: Avoid the new rooms at the top of the hill. They are too hot, they don't have an iron and ironi...
7 Thank BloatedBelly
Chicago
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Ever since I read that the cast of The Shipping News (2002) stayed here during filming in the Bonavista Peninsula, I have yearned to be a guest. My Newfoundland journey in July was everything and more than I expected.
The Inn is comprised of several buildings built on a hillside overlooking Ship Cove. The 12 coastal villages ("outports") between New Bonaventure and English Harbour are referred to as "the Trinity Bight." There are several price ranges, from moderate to luxury. This is an inn not a B&B so meals are a la carte. Cold breakfast (gourmet hand-made cereals, yoghurt, porridge, fresh fruits, and baked goods) is $10 CAD and hot breakfast - made to order - is $16 CAD. The dining room and living room are large open and welcoming. There is a guest computer and a library of books as well as wide porches and art work on the walls that is catalogued for sale.

I enjoyed a cold breakfast each morning and one dinner. The dinner menus change daily and are posted on chalkboards and in the public rooms all for a set $55 CAD. The interior dining area includes a small bar and it is open until 10-ish. The food is locally sourced or grown in their extensive gardens. Very good value for the area, too.

While I must give this property 5 stars, there are a few things that need mentioning. As elsewhere in NL, there is a paucity of information offered - one must ask. There was very little info in the rooms.
* On the second morning, I asked if I could have coffee earlier than 8 am, the start of breakfast service. I learned that if you are having breakfast, they will bring you a thermos a coffee with cream and sugar and a mug to your room at your requested hour.
* I asked if I could have items laundered (there was a bag in the closet) and learned it was $13 CAD a load and delivered the next morning.
* I made a few visits to the Reception Area (the Mansard building) only to find a paper sign on the door that they were closed - there are no hours posted. But calling "0" would also bring a response.
* I found that hotels and B&Bs in NL may not even have shampoo, just a bar of soap. Fishers' has L'Occitane products but no Q-tips or cotton balls. There is no signage re: towels but I left those to be changed on the floor and they were taken but not replaced .. there were extras in the room.
* The pillows were feather .. I have learned to pack my own IKEA support pillow when I travel.
* The inn is adjacent to the Skerwink Trail - named by Travel & Leisure Mag among the top 10 hiking trails in Canada - but I had to ask for a map at Reception and it is rudimentary.

The whole experience of being a guest at Fishers' is so enjoyable and unique that I overlooked these minor things. There are trails that wander up through the wild plantings to the main buildings. The Skerwink is the most amazing and accessible trail I have ever walked. I did it three days in a row with a packed bag of fruit, muffins, water and a book. This is a place where you cannot help but slow down, observe, listen, smell, and just be at peace.

The only lodging place I will re-visit on the Bonavista!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Winnipeg
Reviewed July 26, 2012

While here for vacation, we stayed in the rooms in the new conference facilities. Pleasantly decorated, with art available for purchase our room was similar in size to a hotel room but very new. We had a 'forest view room' which means you aren't looking at the coast and the only downside is that it was very hot and sunny during our visit and the room doesn't get ocean breezes. Not many breezes at all....the fan comes in handy. We had one very hot night where even the fan wasn't very helpful, but we managed. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room and food is lovely. Can't beat the setting....would highly recommend but book early so you can get a room with a view.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view of ocean.
1 Thank bellfamily
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Everything in this inn was perfectly thought out - from the binoculars and flashlights in the room, to the welcome bag of trail mix, to the walking sticks. We were in the smallest and least expensive room, and it was just delightfully furnished and not at all too small for us; exactly what I hoped for from an inn.

The food was wonderful; the dinner was expensive, but worth it, and the restaurant accommodated a change from fish to meat for my daughter without hesitation. (That same picky daughter has always disliked soup, but raved about the Inn's roasted onion soup for days afterwards.) The breakfasts were also delicious - the first day we had the full breakfast which was $18.00, but the next day opted for the Continental breakfast for $10.00 because it was more than enough.

The staff were also very helpful; we had no hot water the first morning and when we phoned the front desk they immediately offered to move us to a suite in the main hotel, and also offered us the use of a shower in an empty room in the building we were in. (They had it fixed later that morning.)

Our only complaint, and it is minor, is that we walked the Skerwink Trail, and would have appreciated a signpost at the end directing us back to the Inn, as we missed the turn and started the trail again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly M
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was the second stop on my recent tour of Newfoundland and was a distinct improvement on the first stop!

Location: The inn is located in the wonderfully remote and quiet settlement of Port Rexton. It is well positioned for the local hiking trails and not far from the attractive historical town of Trinity. Look out for signs point the way to the inn – they do exist, but they’re a bit small.

Reception: The welcome here was friendly and efficient. No complaints!

Accommodation: My room was just gorgeous, with a great view of the sea. I was strongly tempted to just sit in there the whole time!

Food and drink: There is only one choice for dinner and it is, perhaps, a little on the pricey side, but not prohibitively so. There is a nice choice of wines. The meal on my one evening here was well cooked and the service friendly. Ditto the next morning for breakfast.

I have no qualms about recommending this place to anybody. I only wish I could have stayed longer myself.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 2 in Elliston
Bishop White Manor
Bishop White Manor
#9 of 11 in Trinity

Been to Fishers' Loft Inn by Ship Cove? Share your experiences!