“A Welcoming Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Blandford
The Serendipity B & B and Cottage
Okotoks, Canada
“A Welcoming Place to Stay”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This B&B is one of the best we stayed at in our tour through Newfoundland. It is off the main road and in a very quiet area close to the bay. Thus a great place to go for a relaxing walk before going out for dinner.

The welcoming was great and the room was spacious and inviting. It was a bit of a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night but that was overcome with a nightlight.

The open area was very generously decorated with family treasures and reflected the personality of our host. She was great and was around to answer all questions. Elsie even phoned the local golf course for us to set up dinner and enquire about the time they would be open. A small detail but showed the type of person she is.

The entire facility was very clean, this is the most important quality we look for in any type of accommodation.

As for the breakfast, what can I say. It was one of the best. It included pancakes with many fruits and home made Newfoundland jams.

I would highly recommend this B&B if you get the opportunity to stay here.

Room Tip: Room 7 on the main floor would always be a good choice and it has a small kitchenette.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank William K

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I have been travelling for 5 months around Canada and I can quite honestly tell you this was my favourite place to stay. The lady running it made us feel ever so welcome. We felt completley at home from the moment we arrived.
She keeps menu's of the local restaurant so you know what they are serving before you go which is a nice little bonus.
Elsie will talk to you for as long as you let her. She told us about the local life and asked us about ourselves and our travels. It's been a lnog time since we have been home and I was so gratefull to stay here and for once not feel like I was in a strangers house.
I was glad to see she did her best to feed us up at breakfast time before we left.
Our room was very cosy and we had a tv to use in our room and another in the lounge if we wanted. There was also a display of books to look through.
The bathroom was great. No bath but there was a lovely shower. Everything was kept beautifully clean.
If I was heading this way again, I would deffinately return here.
We loved it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kyle S
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Elsie's B&B is a home away from home. The B&B is decorated with family pictures and other photos of Newfoundland taken by Elsie. She is extremely friendly and my brother and I immediately began chatting with her as if we were friends who had just dropped in for a visit. Her breakfasts are excellent, with home made Newfoundland jams (partridge berry and bakeapple) and on the second morning we stayed, toutons with molasses. Although there is only one place to dine in Port Blandford (the local golf resort), the food there is good and varied, with both a dining room and a pub options. About two hours from St John's and close to Terra Nova National Park, this B&B is in a great location and I would recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Room 7 is large, has two beds and cooking facilities.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Blackdonald
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Serendipity means finding something unexpected, and so it was with The Serendipity B&B in Port Blandford, We were travelling from the West to the East coast of Newfoundland and needed somewhere to stop during the journey. We picked on Port Blandford as a reasonable mid-distance and then started looking for places to stay. We came upon the Serendipity by chance, but from the moment I rang to make the booking I knew it was going to be a pleasure, as Elsie's Newfoundland twang greeted the booking with her usual enthusiasm..

There was that enthusiasm again when we arrived and were shown into our comfortable and homely room for the night. The room had a lovely, comfortable Queen size bed, coffee making facilities, TV and on-suite bathroom. It was decorated, as was the rest of the house, with the charm of a woman's loving care over many years.

\We had a great night's sleep and then had the pleasure of one of Elsie's breakfasts, what a delight: Pancakes, Ham, orange, grapefruit and cherry, home made jams. We were joined by the other guests and by Elsie's son Michael and his wife Leslie - they brought a real Newfoundland family context to the meal, meaning we got to know more about the province and its culture than we had in any of the interpretation centres or visitors centres.

We were looking for a stop over point in our journey, but found a delight instead - that if anythng is the real meaning of serendipity, and The Serendipity provided it.

Who knows if we will pass this way again, but if you do, make sure to give Elsie a ring and enjoy the pleasure of a stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HaydnB
Kingston, Ontario
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I guess my expectations were too high. Based on the reviews and photos on the website I was confident that we would be happy with this accommodation. Our room, No. 7, is located just off the main guest living room. Our private bathroom connects with the hall near the kitchen/dining area. You can shake hands from the closet to the bathroom. And we never found the switch to turn off the bathroom light. The ceiling lights are office-style fluorescents; one was missing its cover. The walls are painted early 50's panelling. A total of four windows gave good ventilation, but offered little light. At least the beds are reasonably comfortable, and the room is spacious, with two double beds and kitchenette. I guess this is needed as there are only two nearby restaurants, both at the Terra Nova Golf Resort. We particularly enjoyed the mainfloor dining room with a beautiful garden view (and you can order from the pub menu if you prefer).

Breakfasts are huge and delicious. Our first morning included fresh fruit and yogurt, and 3 pancakes, 3 sausages, with orange juice and tea/coffee. The second morning we had scrambled eggs with turkey bacon, and Newfoundland toutons (pronounced tao-tons) which were delicious, along with fresh fruit, orange juice and tea/coffee.

Other reviewers have mentioned the set 8 am breakfast time, and we were not happy about this either. However, when Elsie, the owner, realized that my son went back to bed after breakfast, she kindly offered to serve us at 9 am the next day. I suggest if 8 am is too early for you, ask for a later time.

Elsie is an excellent hostess, and loves to talk. So while the accommodations were dated and in need of repair here and there, the overall experience was positive. However, compared with other B&Bs we visited in Newfoundland, I found the price a bit high (although she was booked solid – so the price clearly is based on demand). Bottomline – if you need a place to stay in Port Blandford, Serendipity is your best choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Clean. Comfortable. Accomodating.

Elsie worked hard to make all her guests feel comfortable. She spent some time with us to educate us about the area.
Excellent muffins at bedtime.
Great breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clark_Kent_Traveller
Toronto
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at this B&B for one night during our four nights Newfoundland trip and this is the best B&B we stayed at. Elsie is very friendly. Our room has a nice ocean view and it is quiet and spacious. Breakfast is nice and hot. The only drawback is that breakfast is served at 8am only. The other tourists staying at this B&B are also very friendly. I would recommend this B&B to anyone who needs to spend a night around Terra Nova.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Restland Motel
Restland Motel
#4 of 4 in Clarenville
Terra Nova Resort & Golf Community

Been to The Serendipity B & B and Cottage? Share your experiences!