All reviews ferry terminal nova scotia north sydney dining room room was clean and comfortable hill overlooking cod tongues an older hotel following morning coffee maker room was large ocean view marine newfoundland st ns docks
Selected filters
Reviewed September 13, 2019

We arrived in Port aux Basques by ferry at 6:30 pm, and did not relish driving into the night all the way to our home in Corner Brook, running the risk of hitting a moose. Besides, Hurricane Dorian had pounded Western Newfoundland a couple of days before, so we did not know what damage had been caused to the roads. So we reserved St. Christopher's Hotel a few days before. Good thing too -- it was pouring rain when we arrived. This made the fast and efficient check-in all the more welcome. The room was large, clean, and well furnished with two queen beds, a fridge, free Wi-Fi (but not secure Wi-Fi), a screened window that opened to let in some fresh cool air, and an on-site restaurant for supper and breakfast. We slept well, and were able to check out quickly the next morning to resume our journey home (in clear weather, I might add; good decision to stay the night!). On the down side, the restaurant was quite disappointing. Many guests were visitors, and the restaurant menu seemed designed to appeal to the adventurous traveler -- like moose meatballs over noodles with wild mushroom sauce, except they did not have this dish that evening. This wasn't because they lacked the moose meatballs. Those they had, but they did not have the wild mushroom sauce. Who cares? A versatile kitchen would have served the meatballs with store-bought crimini or button mushrooms. Visitors to Newfoundland (the couple at the next table were from Denmark) love trying local food, and a hotel that is this close to incoming ferry traffic should be versatile in catering to expectations (they did not have shrimp for another dish either. Come on folks! This is Newfoundland!). Breakfast the next morning was worse. There were only two waitresses, one of whom could have used an attitude adjustment. We ordered two hot breakfasts, mine being the "St. Christopher's Special"; both included toast, except our meals came without toast. We had to ask for our toast twice before it was finally served, and by then the main breakfast had already been consumed. Oh yes, and while the menu assured us a choice of large or small orange juice, the small juice was not available. Really? Just pour me half an orange juice into a large glass! This isn't rocket science! Much of the problem rested with the kitchen, which fell behind in filling orders. By the time we finished our breakfasts, the latest guests to arrive were being advised that breakfast would take half an hour to serve, *after* orders were taken. One couple simply gave up waiting and left to have breakfast at the local Tim Horton's. Best advice? Get to the breakfast room early!

Room tip: Ask for an upper room with a harbor view.
Date of stay: September 2019
Denise L, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2019

Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed September 5, 2019

AC not working in room. When I reported at checkout there was no offer of a partial refund. Rooms very small. Sink was slow draining. Service at breakfast was very slow.
Tractor trailer idling in parking lot all night so room very noisy. Very expensive rooms for what you go.

Room tip: try another hotel
Date of stay: August 2019
Denise L, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2019

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, we work hard to ensure all guests have a pleasant experience. We will look into your concerns.

Reviewed August 20, 2019

I had food delivered to my room from the restaurant on site, which was great. The food ordered was the fisherman's platter, seafood chowder, wings, mozz sticks and potato skins. Everything was really good and I do recommend it. It was very close to the ferry, staff was very helpful and friendly. I can't find anything I would change, it was an excellent stay. room 302 - no view but was okay. View outside was really nice.

Date of stay: July 2019
Denise L, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2019

Thanks for your comments and for staying at St Christopher's Hotel .

Reviewed August 18, 2019

After crossing on the ferry from North Sydney my wife and I spent our first night on the island at this hotel. It is conveniently located, not far from the ferry terminal. It is built up on a rocky hill with a nice view. Although the building is somewhat basic the rooms are comfortable and in our experience quiet. There is an onsite bar and restaurant. The food was okay. Staff are efficient and friendly.

Date of stay: June 2019
Denise L, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2019

Thanks for your comments and for staying at St Christopher's Hotel.

Reviewed August 16, 2019 via mobile

Pros -
Convenient stop off the ferry
Nice view from parking lot
Staff friendly

Cons -
Rooms are tight/cramped

Our room wasn’t clean. There was hair in the sink and bathtub. A hard candy on the floor. We informed the front desk upon arrival, but the cleaning staff had left. I had some cleaning products in the van, so I just cleaned it myself. I requested a discount on the way out. They deducted $25, but I thought that wasn’t enough. Then again I be never had to clean my own hotel room before.

We stayed here as it was close to the ferry. We have never been to Newfoundland before and had been warned about moose at night. Hopefully at some point I will be back to this wonderful province, but I think I will find other accommodations in Port Aux Basques

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Detroit333
Denise L, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2019

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Front desk said they offered to move you to a different room but you declined. We have checked with housekeeping on this matter.