“night away with our granddaughter”

St. Christopher's Hotel
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed at St. Christopher's Hotel last night and cannot find one negative thing to say. When we go to Port Aux Basques, this is where we stay. Since we last stayed, a couple years ago, seems like the rooms have been painted and the beds and bedding has changed. So modern and comfortable.
The front desk was busy when we arrived, without a reservation, but Lloyd and Wanda were great and very good and did not show any frustration with the crowd. They took care of everyone's requests in a timely manner. The staff in the restaurant this morning was great and so was the food.
The room was spotless, the staff great and the food wonderful. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I like the rooms with the view of the water and dock where the ferry is docked.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Enid P
Stella P, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Hi, we really appreciate the feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your time at St. Christopher's Hotel with your granddaughter. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay! Cheers, Stella.

Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed just for one night while on business, my room wasn't the cleanest and there was even a pair of dirty socks left near the table, very old feeling, staff was ok but not overly friendly. Nice view of the ferry coming and going is the only good thing I could say about this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Tyethan
Stella P, Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I would like to apologize for the unsatisfactory stay. We strive to provide a comfortable room and efficiency friendly service to all our guest.
Glad you enjoyed the splendid view of the ocean and the ferry entering and leaving the harbour.
Again my apologies and I want to assure you that all comments are dealt with as we strive to continue to improve both the room setting and customer experience.
Cheers… Stella

Reviewed May 17, 2014

It is convenient. It is interesting looking from the ferry as you enter the harbour. There were a lot of seemingly extra charges, or so it seemed. My quoted rate of $96 ending up being $150. The room we had did have a musty smell - but seemed clean. We had some oddness with the plugs, the heat - and the tub didn't drain after showering. Probably not their best room - but the food was excellent from the dining room - and that was great after a long day.

Room Tip: If I went back - I'd ask for a room on 3rd Floor to get away from the main floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy P
Stella P, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you for your comments.
I would like to refer to your comment regarding room quote @ $96. end up being $150.
Your actual charges was $92.99 room rate 13% HST $12.09 ( a Canadian national tax) and 3% Tourism Development fee of $2.79 your total charges came to $107.87. Please note that your Credit Card on arrival would have been per-authorized for $150.. This is done to ensure that you can access other hotel services and charge to your room. Pre-authorizations do not get posted to your credit card, upon checkout your credit card is charged for actual charges incurred. To pre-authorize means there is available credit for any charges that maybe incurred and allows guest to avail of hotel services with ease. Maybe you could check your credit card statement for actual charges , if their are any discrepancies I would be happy to review them for you.
Not sure what you are referencing with regards to oddness of the heat. All room are equipped with standard A/C units and are operated from a wall thermostat. Glad you had a great experience in our Dining Room.
Thanks again for the comments. Cheers, Stella.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had no choice but to use St christophers due to our pets.
The rate quoted on line is not the rate on check out.They have another 3% tourism charge after questioning the charge on check ou,t they told us it was for the south west tourism charge after googling it I cant find nothing on this extra charge or who they are, so to me its another way to pad the hotel bottom line and a rip off even a small one at that, when you call and ask what the rates are you should be told the total rate.
I'am also a CAA which normally at 99% of hotels is a 10% discount not here its only 5%
Dont touch the phone even for a 1-800 number thats another .65 cents.
We ordered a dinner pick up to have in our room a burger took almost 1.25 hours to get.
The hotel also pre charges your credit card $150.00 for no reason I guess its to pay for the 65c local calls.To bad no competition so they can get away with it.
The front desk basically signs you in throws the key down. We had to ask where the room was and call back down for the internet pass word and what time the restaurant is open to, this stuff should be told to a guest on check in.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Greyhoundlover
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The room was clean and the staff were friendly. While there were no perks here we had a good nights sleep. Very convenient location for anyone travelling on the ferry. Check in and out was quick and easy. Overall good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Heather F
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night in August due to unforeseen changes to my reservations with Marine Atlantic.  Stayed here more out of necessity.  This is definitely an older property.  We had a standard room with two beds, and three people in the room.  Room was on the small side and smelled musty AND smoky even though it was a non-smoking room.  Bathroom was very small.  Overall felt like the room was overpriced for what I got.  The next morning I ordered “room service”.  I placed my order and then the restaurant called and said it was ready and that “I could come pick it up”.  My definition of room service has always been that it is delivered to my room so I found this absolutely ridiculous.  I had to walk to the restaurant from the second floor, then carry a very heavy tray back to my room.  THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT ROOM SERVICE!  Also, we were on the second floor and there is a place where you can do laundry on this floor.  The smell of detergent and fabric softener coming from this room was terrible. The hotel is close to the ferry and has lovely views of the ocean, but that’s about it.  We were thankful to have a place to stay in Port Aux Basques but were very happy to leave this hotel in the morning!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharpay10
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Close to the ferry terminal, this is a convenient place to stay after getting off the late night boat. Check in was fast but there are no perks. Room is very basic. It does appear they are slowly upgrading things as the furniture in the room was in good shape and very clean, as was the carpet. The bathroom is cut up so the toilet and tub are in a separate small room from the sink and the grout was dark and needing replacement. There was no towel bar near the sink, only in the area behind the door in the tub area. The room was a decent size but the walls are very thin and I could hear the people in the next room talking (and they weren't being loud). After a long day of travel I just want a quiet room to sleep, it took a while due to the noise factor. The bed was comfortable, however. Oh... and they still use large metal keys. How quaint.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business