“A Beautiful location” 5 of 5 bubbles

St. Christopher's Hotel
Thornbury, Canada
“A Beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is ideally located, overlooking the harbour and ferry docks of the Port.
Rooms are comfortable and spacious, and I enjoyed spectacular sunrises from my room on the second floor. Parking is free, and the hotel is situated withing walking distance of several restaurants.

The Transcanada Highway starts here, and the ferry docks are here too,so this is an ideal spot to begin or end a tour of Newfoundland/Labrador, one of our most spectacular provinces.

Room Tip: Overlooking the harbour is the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Marmora, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were part of a tour group and after departing from the ferry we arrived at 11pm. We and another couple went to our rooms with the keys, only to find out that the rooms were already occupied. A good thing they had the door chain on or we would have walked in on them. It turned out that the hotel staff were supposed to have moved these occupants to another room earlier in the day and didn't! It took the staff 30 minutes to find us another room. An unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JMC002

Travelers are raving about these Port aux Basques hotels

Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at Saint Christopher's for the 1st time,the weekend of October 5 th to the 7th.We came over from N.S. for a wedding.We were very happy with our room,the friendly staff ,and their williness to help us with our needs.Our room was very clean and comfortable.The view was beautiful.Only minutes from the ferry terminal.The resturant was clean ,atmosphere was great the food was also and reasonable prices. The staff very friendly and very busy.It is a place I would highly recommend and would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Any room would be great,depwnds on what you are looking for.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stella P, General Manager at St. Christopher's Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to repond to your stay with us and for the positive review.
All comments are welcome.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the St Christophers Hotel on September 12 2012 and I have to say I am so happy I did I come to newfoundland about 6 times a year and have always stayed at hotel port aux basques I went to that hotel to stay a night and was disappointed to the fact I had lost my wallet and there for did not have a credit card and the girl at the desk told me I could not have a room because I didn't have a credit card and they required a cash deposit of 100 dollars and I could not pay debit so I went to st.christophers hotel and was pleased with the staff at the desk who were very kind and the rooms were amazing with the water front the restaurant was great my meal was out of this world the waitress was wonderful I have full intentions on returning to this great hotel it truly shows what newfoundland is really like thank you guys so much for the great time

• Stayed September 2012
ONTARIO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here twice in a 2 week period. The first stay we had an oceanview room on the 2nd floor. Room was very clean and internet worked well. The check in staff were not overly pleasant but did their job. We ate in their restaurant and staff were very efficient and friendly despite that they were very busy. On our second stay we had reserved an oceanview room again but when we got to the room on the third floor it was not oceanview so I had to go back to the desk and they gave us an oceanview room on the first floor. It was clean but not as large as the first room we had. The hotel was very busy due to the ferry delays. I found the rooms quiet and the beds comfortable. Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richmond Hill, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We hadn't originally planned to stay in Port Aux Basques since we were screwed again by Marine Atlantic we were forced to leave a lovely spot in Gros Morne in order to make a very early ferry departure time (moved forward by 5 hours). So, we booked several rooms at St Christopher's. The rooms are fine but inconsistent. One had a small fridge, the other not. Exact same price - different service levels.

The place is clean. We did not try the restaurant.

The service was questionable. The lady at reception was miserable ever time we had to ask her anything. When we asked for the wireless code the look we received suggested disgust for our inability to guess what it was.

Since there is no way I'll ever travel with Marine Atlantic again it's unlikely I will ever stay in Port Aux Basques and, if I went to, I would try a different hotel.

Finally, since you can't review the ferry service on Tripadvisor, I wanted to provide some guidance. Since they have no competition, they seem to operate by their own rules and on their own schedule with no concern for customer service. They delayed our first sailing then moved forward the return sailing which really threw wrenches into our Newfoundland trip. Customer service is a voice mailbox and nobody returned several messages. Unless you absolutely have no option, steer clear of Marine Atlantic, or at least go in with eyes wide open.

Room Tip: Sound travels at the hotel so try for top floor away from the elevators as many people leave early f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Halifax Region, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Had to get a room at the last minute because of course, Marine Atlantic was a mess and f'd up my travels. I was impressed hat a call 15 minutes earlier from e ferry was able to reserve me a room at a 102 dollar rate (ask for a government rate - no ID required).

I was one of the first off e ferry so I didn't have to wait long... But a huge line up quickly formed bend me at check in. Expect a wait I you're the traveling cattle from the ferry.

The check in lady was friendly and helpful. Unfortunitly I was first given a room that wasnt made - but they quickly changed my room. The room was comfortable and clean. Very basic, with a nice large LCD tv, big clean shower with bath.

There was a wedding ho-down e night I stayed which cold be heard a bit in my room, but it didn't last past 2 AM.

Side note that there is nothing to eat in PAB post 11 pm on weekends except Tim Hortons. Not even a pizza joint.

Breakfast at the hotel was delish. Home made toast!

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo