“Pretty basic and quite poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sea Echo Motel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port au Choix
Deal, United Kingdom
“Pretty basic and quite poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed twice now, first in August 2012 and then most recently at the start of June 2014. Not much has changed or improved in this time. On arrival there was no one at reception and then when we did get someones attention they couldn't find the reservation we'd made through booking.com and I later discovered we were charged more than the online quoted price!
Rooms are very basic and not particularly cleaned to a good standard, mine had the previous guests stubble left in the wash basin. There was also a lot of noise/music which was coming from the basement below the motel and when i called reception and complained was told it would be turned off soon but it went on for another hour or so.
Breakfast basic but acceptable with a choice of cold and hot food.
Hotels in this area are few and far between and I've only used this one as it is close to a business I've had to visit. I think next time I'll look to book somewhere further away!

Room Tip: choose a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Aliscott78
Shirley S, Owner at Sea Echo Motel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
We at the Sea Echo Motel, would like to sincerely apologise for your unpleasant experience. We would like to say that the miss placed reservations was an over sight on our front desk staff. And is not an usual occurrence. As for the room being unclean, we take great pride in being a very clean establishment and we are very sorry for this occurrence.
The gym is for our registered guest at the Motel, and is possible that they over looked the closing time of the gym. Our breakfast features a Hot and Cold Buffet.
We would appreciate the opportunity if and when your back in the area, that you would give us a chance to change your view of our Motel. We take all comments as constructive and strive to be better.

Sincerely:
Sea Echo Motel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here unexpectedly because our little camper broke down and it was towed to Port au Choix to be fixed.

There was no one at the desk when we walked in so we waited.....finally we ventured forth and found the restaurant with 3 ladies sitting and chatting. We asked if anyone was working the front desk and she jumped "oh that's me"
Check in was fine though tardy and they didn't hesitate when we mentioned our medic alert service dog as other places have done. They gave us the password for free wifi and gave us keys for both outside door for easy dog use and inside door. This was about the only normal experience the whole time we stayed.
The room was smelly and very 1970's. The dresser drawers were leaning, crooked and cracked with age and use, the TV was a 17 inch computer monitor way over there lol Some of the lamps didn't work and the curtains were half falling off. I was scared to take my shoe's off for fear of what was in the carpet stains. It was very basic. The internet didn't work so I had to go into the lobby and sit there to get it to work. I don't think I seen another person at the front desk the whole time we stayed there!! We paid $135 total for this experience. Ridiculous.
The worst experience of the whole stay was the restaurant. It was horrendous!! I ordered the scallops in wine sauce as appetizer and seafood linguini for dinner. When the scallops came they were in a cream sauce, not a wine sauce and they smelled like vomit. I think it was massive amounts of parmesan cheese in the 'wine sauce' that smelled so gross. I couldn't eat it. It tasted like it smelled. My man's cod tongue's were ok but not even close to the quality we had had on the trip already. Then my seafood linguini came and it was smothered in the same sauce as the scallops were!! times 10!! and the smell was repulsive and made me gag. I had to put it on the other side of the table it stank so much....my hubby traded me his seafood basket so I wouldn't have to eat it but after two bites he couldn't eat it either. His seafood platter was all frozen, battered and deep fried odds and bits of stuff that were unidentifiable. This dinner cost us $65!!! She took off $10 because I complained about the horrible smell and taste of my dinner that we couldn't eat but the bill was still $65!! Later that night, just before they closed I went to buy a tea and cheesecake to enjoy while I sat in the lobby to use the internet and the cheesecake was literally a 1 inch thick slice covered in a jar full of jam and I paid $6.85 for it and it was still half frozen.
The free continental breakfast was a joke. I woke up early and went to the restaurant to eat but there was no breakfast set out. no fruit, toast, cereal, yogurt...nothing of the usual continental breakfast was to be had so I sat down and waited. When the waitress finally came over I asked if there was a continental breakfast and she said "of course! would you like toast or a muffin?" I said I would have whole wheat toast and tea but they didn't have whole wheat so I had to have white bread.......and that was it! nothing else. I got 2 pieces of white toast and a tea that was not refilled.
When my husband woke and came down for the free breakfast I was sitting laughing, apparently they didn't extend the free continental breakfast past 8:30am and he had to buy a full breakfast from the menu to get anything to eat.

A truly horrible experience. The worst of the entire one month road trip to Newfoundland. Though I am grateful the 3 guys who fixed up our camper were fantastic and friendly and welded the frame back together for a very cheap price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Conniecz

Travelers are raving about these Port au Choix hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel the front desk girl was super helpful and friendly - the room was nice and clean and very comfortable beds.
The Fish cakes and Cod Tongues were awesome. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Request Outside Door
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Girlfriend and I went on a road trip from Deer Lake to St. Anthony and this was our half way point. I'm glad dealing with this place happened early on.

Multiple times, no one was at the front desk (I could see them standing at the bar, more talking than serving). So any questions had to wait which at one point prevented me from getting the wifi password which ended up being useless as the wifi never worked for us. The room did what it needed to do. It gave us a bed.

The restaurant was the worse experience of it all. avoid it at all costs. As we walked in the server looked at us then went right back to their conversation. We sat ourselves down and then waited. When we finally got our menus, I ordered the surf and turf, my girlfriend ordered the fish and chips.

Food was beyond terrible. Firstly, when i was ordering, i noticed that one of the sides could be potato salad. i asked for that and our waitress stared at me as if i was making it up and asked if i wanted fries. just ridiculous. when we finally saw the food, well ive cooked better meals in college for myself. The fries were just frozen fries thrown into an oven, none of the seafood was fresh and there was no indication that they were going to be battered. The steak was a cheap super market steak that was clearly pan fried. They also asked me how I wanted it and then clearly ignored it as it was way over done.

The fish for my girlfriend was chewy and the batter was soggy and disgusting.

No point did any server come ask us how the meal was but waited on a number of the other tables constantly. Made us feel very very unwelcome.

Overall my gf and I did not enjoy it here and would not ever recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank NateSoble
Thornhill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights. Rooms were clean and quiet. Free wifi was a treat. There was a coffee maker and flat screen TV. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Basic breakfast was included, but you could add to it at an extra cost.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Barbara A
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a great little place out in Port Au Choix. A little but active fishing community. The Locals make you feel at home. Hotel is very nice. Wireless high speed internet, flat HD tv's in rooms. I will return if in area again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Corner Brook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed one nite and our stay was quite pleasant. The accommodations were lovely, clean, spacious. NO mildew odor whatsoever. The staff were excellent and very helpful. The food was excellent and the service was very efficient. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone.
Some of the reviews almost turned me off from trying this.... but, I am so glad that I went there.

Room Tip: Request the rooms with outside access from the room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sea Echo Motel? Share your experiences!