“very nice”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marystown
Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marystown
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I ate at the restaurant in the hotel. The food was very good we were there for Sunday morning, the two ladies very friendly. the food was fast and the coffee was hot. I like the service so much I gave a nice tip. I guess that I was there on the right day march 10th. I will be back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank joy m
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you Joy M, your positive review was great to read and we are confident you will receive the same great service any time you visit. We look forward to serving you again.

There are newer reviews for Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Called to make a reservation and was aggressively and quite nasty told " I am busy right now. You will have to call back in 1/2 hour." So called back and got the same lady in the terrible mood and informed again " I am busy right now. You will have to call back in 1/2 hour." This is terrible service. At least say do you mind holding for a minute. Or don't bother answering at all would even be better. Then I know your busy. Was only going to stay here because was close to where I was working. Found a great place about 10 Min away in Burin.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RSCK
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Before responding to this review we posted it for everyone to see and monitored the feedback from our GSR’s. The most popular of the comments, and one that was relayed by all our GSR’s, was that this should not have happened. Our protocol when busy is to politely take a customer’s name & phone number and call them back ASAP. It would appear meanwhile that one of our GSR’s did indeed have a bad day which is not an acceptable excuse but we can’t retract what happened and can only take measures to ensure it doesn’t happen again. From the buzz created after we posted the review the likelihood of a repeat is highly unlikely.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel itself is ok regarding accomodations but nothing elaborate. The restaurant in the hotel is another story. The staff are clueless and have no idea about service. Was never asked if we needed anything else and food came out late and it took an hour from the time our first party was served until our last party was served. I wold never it at PJs again!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 908ABlue908
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in our PJ Billington’s restaurant. Meanwhile I’d like to ensure everyone that most of our staff are well trained which includes Super Host training; they are experienced and far from CLUELESS which this comment suggests.

Like every business however we do have to hire new staff when necessary and it’s not possible to always hire trained and experienced people for the job. I’m not sure what the circumstances were in this case because we weren’t informed of this until we read the comment that was left here on TripAdvisor.

Quite frankly I’m surprised, even disapointed, such defamatory comments are even allowed to be posted on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Please don't pay too much attention to negative reviews. We just spent the weekend there with our girls hockey team and had a great time. The rooms were newly renovated, nice and clean. The beds were new and very comfortable, bathrooms were updated and very clean.

We were very pleased with the quality and service of this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank P H
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

It was a delight to read your review and see that our hard work and determination to make this a great hotel with quality service and accommodations is paying off. Our management team and staff know the importance of customer satisfaction and we strive to make everyone’s stay here a pleasant, comfortable experience and we want them to leave looking forward to coming back.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had a room on the third floor and it seemed impressive enough when I opened the door and realized the spaciousness of it but was sadly disappointed when I went in to the bathroom. About 25% of the (white) grout between the tiles above the bathtub had turned a dark brown. I wondered if at first if someone had smeared feces on it but then figured that couldn't be possible and releagated it to mould.
The vanity has literally no area to lay anything without spilling over into the sink. I couldn't find the thermostat for the washroom heater. The TV remote had dusty goo in between some of the keys. It looked like it had been wiped overall but little attempt to dig the dirt out in between.
The mattress was very comfortable and the throws looked very clean. The mini fridge was a nice touch and there was lots of space. It was easy to hear noises from the next room.
Recommendation: rebuild the bathroom; install a modern vanity with a modicom of space on it and of course get rid of the wall tiles and its grout.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom soon as you go in and if the grout is suspicious looking, go back to the desk and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 2TsingTao
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your review of our hotel but sorry to hear your stay was made uncomfortable by the condition of the bathroom tile grout. There are 4 oversized guest rooms on the 3rd floor that haven’t been fully renovated because we’re considering Jacuzzi tubs in addition to a bathroom makeover and I have to assume you stayed in one of those.

However this doesn’t excuse dirty grout or a dirty remote so we will have our maintenance & housekeeping departments look into this immediately.

I am very pleased to see your rating on the value, location, sleep quality and service and will take measures to address the other issues.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel advertises newly renovated rooms. The room that we got was a disappointment. Stuffy, dark and dated would be my description. Our room had two double beds. We opted for the one that appeared to have clean linen and a clean comforter. The other bed had a crusty stain on the comforter that was a turn off.
If this hotel does in fact have recently renovated rooms why would they put guests in a room that clearly could do with a renovation? There were only a few cars in the parking lot and the hotel did not seem to be busy.
After altering our travel schedule to stay in Marystown at the Marystown Hotel I would suggest that in the future I will consider altering my schedule to avoid this place.

Room Tip: Specify a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

After just returning from vacation it was very disappointing to learn of another poor review on Trip Advisor. To read that a possible renovated room was considered stuffy and dated wasn’t something I liked to read either considering all new vinyl wallpaper, ceramics, seating, lighting, etc. Dark I can live with because all our rooms are designed with earth tone colours and total blackout drapes which many of our customers appreciate when working all night and wanting to sleep during the day.

Cleanliness is of utmost importance to us and our housekeeping staff knows this is top priority. Rooms are also checked by an on-duty housekeeping supervisor so to learn there was a stained comforter on one of our beds was an unpleasant surprise. This review will be posted for everyone to read and we will once again stress the importance of cleanliness.

Meanwhile we have investigated any recent complaints and the only complaint we’ve been made aware of was an incident of a muddy boot print left on a comforter in one of our motel units. This was reported via a note left in the room after checkout and our staff and supervisor swears the print wasn’t there when the room was done the day before so once again I’d like to remind customers to always report any problems to our front desk GSR ASAP so security can check your complaint and if necessary make alternate arrangements.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Marystown Hotel is a reasonably price hotel in a region of Newfoundland with not a lot of options for hotel/motels. The hotel is located within walking distance of a few restaurants and retail locations or a short drive to everything else in town which is convenient.

There is a restaurant in the hotel – unfortunately we had a very poor experience with a staff person while waiting to be seated and decided not to stay and eat so I can’t comment on the food but it looked clean and comfortable.

The rooms we had were dated but nevertheless a good standard hotel room with a bed, bathroom, tv, etc.

I will say the best part of our stay at the Marystown Hotel was most definitely the reception and support staff. Courteous, polite and friendly they addressed the issues regarding our restaurant experience as well as some noise concerns near our room related to a wedding that was also taking place that evening.

I’ll likely stay here again for business as it is a good utility hotel in the region but for family trips or couples who want a good vacation experience, you might want to consider some of the nearby B&B's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!