Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Marystown
See available hotels
Bird Island Resort(St. Bride's)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Marystown Hotel is a reasonably price hotel in a region of Newfoundland with not a lot of options for hotel/motels. The hotel is located within walking distance of a few restaurants and retail locations or a short drive to everything else in town which is convenient.

There is a restaurant in the hotel – unfortunately we had a very poor experience with a staff person while waiting to be seated and decided not to stay and eat so I can’t comment on the food but it looked clean and comfortable.

The rooms we had were dated but nevertheless a good standard hotel room with a bed, bathroom, tv, etc.

I will say the best part of our stay at the Marystown Hotel was most definitely the reception and support staff. Courteous, polite and friendly they addressed the issues regarding our restaurant experience as well as some noise concerns near our room related to a wedding that was also taking place that evening.

I’ll likely stay here again for business as it is a good utility hotel in the region but for family trips or couples who want a good vacation experience, you might want to consider some of the nearby B&B's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We arrived a day early and they were very friendly and accommodating. Put us in a room that we could stay in for the 2 night stay.

The windows did not open, but there was an airconditioner with a fan, so we had the fan running.

The beds were very comfortable! The hot water was plentiful. The staff were very friendly - recommended a day trip for us, and that was well worth the price of the room.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and the food was basic but good.

I was leery of staying because of some of the reviews, but for the price and the location, I would recommend it without hesitation. It is not a 5 star hotel, but neither is it a dump.

Room Tip: There appeared to be rooms on the main floor with patio doors - not something I would like, but that might appeal to others. We were on the 2nd floor, and had no noise issues at all.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice in one week. The first room was at the front of the hotel with an outside entrance. Room was clean and nicely decorated. There was no air conditioning but we had no need for it on this visit. The windows do open and there was a fan in the room. The second room was on the second floor. Same furnishings and decor as the first room. Again this room was clean. Also this room had air conditioning if needed. I am not sure why all the complaints about this hotel. I was hesitant to stay here after reading the reviews but was more than happy with my stay. Maybe there are some rooms that are not as nice but I didn't get one on either of my stays. The front desk staff were very friendly. The restaurant was busy and I found the food very good. There was a boil water advisory both times we stayed there so we didn't use the ice in our drinks or drink the tap water but they supplied bottled water in the room. I would stay here again if I was to visit the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for one night on a work trip - as many others have commented, the hotel is one of a few options in a small town. That being said, the front desk staff dealt with our group efficiently, and got everyone settled into rooms quickly. The room was clean, but did smell like stale smoke, despite the fact that the room was supposed to be non-smoking.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant - again - it seemed like our best option in the town. The staff were efficient in dealing with us, and accomodated our larger group fairly easily. The food wasn't fancy, but everyone enjoyed their meals.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Hello caycay_can

Thanks for your review and I'm sorry to hear about the stale smoke. We try very hard to ensure no one smokes in our guest rooms and we do charge a hefty penalty for anyone caught smoking in them. We also provide extra housekeeping to get rid of any odor left over from smoking if it does occur; unfortunately something obviously went wrong in your case. I would encourage any guests to report incidents like this to our Front Desk Staff immediately so management can be informed and if possible alternative accommodations will be provided.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night and it was one night too many!! As other people have written, the hallways were very dark and dingy. I also noticed that all of the room numbers were held in place by painter's tape, although there is no evidence of renovations being conducted. When I opened the door, the stench was awful! The room was also very stuffy. I immediately opened the small window and looked for the AC. There was none. They had a fan in the room that was so noisy that it kept me awake, yet when I turned it off, the room was so hot, I couldn't sleep. Added to this was the fact that the walls are so thin that I could hear the snores of the person in the next room to me. A long night without sleep does not make a happy traveler!

All in all, an absolutely terrible experience, one in which I won't repeat.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Virginia G
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Hi Virginia G, I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at our hotel but welcome your feedback. It does sound like you had to stay in a non-renovated section of our hotel and had to pass through another that was indeed being renovated.

We have renovated over 100 of our 133 guest rooms and suites but sometimes we have to fall back on our non-renovated rooms that are not of the high standards we are working very hard to offer. At times customers also have to pass by areas of the hotel that are under construction which is evidence of our ongoing effort to improve our standards; meanwhile we make every effort to inform customers if renovations are ongoing and ensure corridors are clean and free of debris.

Unfortunately we can’t accomplish everything we want to as fast as we would like but we have made some huge strides in the past few years and continue to move forward with every intention to build on our success, improve facilities & services and provide an environment our customers would want to return to.

We do hope you change your mind and visit us again if you are in our area.