“What a dump!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marystown
Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marystown
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Well this was our second time here and it was no better than the first. We had a kitchenette room and there was a glue trap behind the fridge. That should say something right there. The hallway smelled so bad and it was all around just filthy. Stains on the carpet and mold and mildew on the windows. If I do go back to Marystown....I will not be staying there. I am not even sure how the hotel is still up and running to be honest!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank nicfromnova
PeterK431, Operations Manager at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback and regret to hear you had an unpleasant stay.
We do our best to ensure customers who stay at Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre have a satisfying experience but at times we fail to live up to everyone’s expectations; it’s a goal we will continue to try and achieve however.
I wouldn’t entertain the idea of asking anyone to ignore negative comments, it offers valuable insight for us as well as customers but I would like to encourage people to drop by and check us out for themselves, no one is compelled to stay but they could be missing out on a great thing if they just pass on by.

There are newer reviews for Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre

Reviewed August 9, 2011

I got the basement room on the back and the smell was as bad as I have ever experienced. I complained to the front desk and was informed that there was never a complaint about the smell. It was the first time she had ever heard a complaint about the smell. She did change my room for me but the carpets in the whoe place were dirty and stained. You had to flush the toilet several times to get it to work. The water is not drinkable but they give you one free bottle with the room. All this for the low low price of $117.52. I wish I could say something positive but......................

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank eric k
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed three days for sporting event. Toilet overflowed 1st night, heater on 30, only way to get a/c to work was first to get extension cord, then had to unplug clock radio and bed lamps. Very noisy a/c, could not open any window, curtains cut to accomodate a/c and were about 4 inches too short hence the sunlight woke you up. Cold a/c would only directly face the bed and blow on sleeper resulting in constantly waking up to turn on/off. When mentioned to hotel staff, the responce was "Ya, we get that complaint alot"! Will not be returning. Next time a B&B!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank crockerholly
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had to go there for a skating compitition and after reading reviews on this hotel I was dreading staying there, and it was worse then i expected. First of all as soon as you go into the room an aweful stench hits you and then once in the room i saw stains on the carpet and the furnature was ugly and out of date. Also the fitness center is out of date, the equiptment looks like its from the 80s and the fitness room has stains all over the floor and ceiling. And also the night before my compitition, I decided to go to bed early to get some rest and i couldnt get to sleep, the bed was unconfortable and until about 3 AM there was a lot of noise, of people yelling and running around, so much that me or some of my friends that had also came to the hotel couldn;t sleep. And another thing that kept me up was the heater, our room was freezing so we turned up the heat, and when the heater finally did turn on it was so loud that it kept me up until almost 5 AM which was when i finally fell asleep. So overall, it was one of the worst expirences i've had at a hotel in a long time, and i do not advise you to stay here unless you like dirty noisy places.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Traveller12397
Reviewed November 13, 2010

This hotel was awful from the time we entered and dealt with the front desk clerk. She was on the phone and kept us waiting to check in for a long time, we had been on the road for hours after working all day. She should have put whoever on hold and checked us in. The whole place smelled like a grubby old tavern. The rooms had no air, so it was humid and dank, windows didn't open. I had to ask for a fan to get some airflow going. The walls were thin and could hear everything going on in the next rooms. Heard a God awful crash in the hall late at night, sounded like someone dropped a tray of dishes. Woke me up with a start. Checking out was the same nonsense, took way too long. The only bright spot was the restaurant, the best seafood chowder I ever had, but the restaurant was substantially of a higher caliber than the hotel. Would not stay here again, we managed to find different accomodations after the first night. Thank goodness.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mandymcnurse
Reviewed September 28, 2009

After reading the previous reviews, I was dreading staying at this place! However, I had no choice....

I made sure I requested an "upgraded" room, which was given when I arrived.

I was pleasantly surprised... it's not that bad! The room was quite big by some standards, and it was clean. It didn't have a fridge or anything, but it did have internet.

I ate in the restaurant and had the prawns... they were delicious! Service was a bit slow, but they were run off their feet as it was really busy. The staff were friendly without being patronising.... and I'm sure if you visited regularly they'd know you by name every time.

All in all, it's not as bad as you might think reading some of the reviews.... maybe the upgrades are coming along nicely?

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank geedee7
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This was my second night at this hotel. I stayed once in 2008, and things were the same this time. The front entrance looks "ok", but as soon as you go past the stairs it's a whole other story. Our room was on the second floor. I can hardly find words to describe the stairway and the entire hallway to the room - it's dull and dingey, and it's like someone slapped on a dab of plaster every couple feet and slapped on some paint here and there (two different colors)...the walls are literally spotted like this (my description is not really describing it well!). I could understand if they were in the middle of renovations, but the walls were like this the last time I stayed too - a year ago.

The front desk staff were less than friendly. The room was "musty" and there was a hair on the pillow in the bed, and a few hairs on the wall in the shower. I couldn't believe how bad this hotel was! It's the only hotel in the area, and it's shocking that this is what tourists are having to stay in. I could see if the rate was like $29/night, but they are charging like $120/night...ridiculous!! I even had to make comment to the front desk staff as I was leaving re: the state of the hotel.

Next time I need to stay overnight in the area I will be looking for a bed and breakfast instead.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank BEGDCG

Been to Marystown Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!