“The Turkey Trot”

The Station Diner
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Holyrood
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed August 18, 2014

For those who love roast turkey, you have to come to Newfoundland where it is readily available in traditional Newfoundland restaurants, right up there with cod au augratin (sic) and lobster rolls. You can have it as a dinner with all the trimmings, a cold sandwich or my personal fave a hot turkey sandwich usually served with home made, fresh, sliced French fries and a lovely bit of dry, bread dressing featuring the island's great offering, savory.

Sometimes, however, it's hard to get even though it may be on the menu. On a recent visit to Rocky Point, I was, as usual, excited to see turkey dinner on the menu but the charmingly maternal waitress said abruptly, "You're not having that, we've got fresh halibut on tonight." That's lovely, I replied but I would like the turkey. No, she insisted, you can't have the turkey when we've got fresh halibut on.

I explained that I am from Montreal, a fine dining town where I can regularly find fresh halibut on the menu, albeit at twice the price of this restaurant, but nonethelss it has less cache for me than turkey dinner something I can find in almost only one place in Montreal: my kitchen table having just made it. There are NO restaurants that I know of that serve fesh turkey in Montreal, more's the pity.

Suddenly I was in a Monty Python sketch apparenttly having unwittingly and involuntarily paid for an argument.

I had the halibut. Waitress fear is palpable. It was delicious.

Today, however, at lunch in the lovely Station Diner in picturesque Holyrood, I got no arguements, just the turkey sandwich I am so fond of. Delicious slices of dark meat in between two fat pieces of white bread covered in a beige gravy that smooths and never argues, peas and stuffing on the side...accompanied by a Quidi Vidi Iceberg Beer...who isn't happy when they find exactly what they want, served by someone who keeps referring to you as "my love", even though you've never met her before. Comfort food in a comfortable setting. Worth the stop, worth the return.

There are newer reviews for The Station Diner

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Food served right, excellent and always hot. Cod fish and ships were wow! And those 6oz hamburgers are a must.
Service very friendly.

1  Thank paulref
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The food was so so, atmosphere was nice, nothing special, fries were soggy which I dislike immensely but worth the price overall. Wont be going back though,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I would NEVER eat here again, or recommend it to anyone.
The service was atrocious, including sighing and eye-rolling- from TWO servers.
We went for lunch, and there were 6 of us- it was not busy. My husband grew up in
the area and was shocked by our experience. We love to support local business, but will
not return here for the bad service, and hostile environment. Too bad too, because
the view is killer.

3  Thank cubabound2008
Reviewed August 7, 2014

great fish and shrimp only they were deep fried but I just picked off the batter and the seafood was lovely. No wine so had to drink beer.