The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holyrood
“Average.”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hotel has standard rooms that are relatively pricy. Golf course is challenging, but of average beauty. Been to many golf resorts on the island - and this one isn't anything overly special. Great twilight prices for golf however.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ontario
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my experience was on Aug 22 2012 !! This place might be good for Golf players , but for over night guess it was horrible . My wife and I checked in went to our room dropped our luggage and went for something to eat. We were the only ones in the bar and order a Salad and fish and chips at 7:35 pm , we got our food at 8:25 pm .......... after eating we returned to our room # 219 ....... first things I had to do was kill 5 spiders before my wife would come into the room !!!! The walls and carpet were dirty , didn't take off our shoes ... I decided to go have a shower because we were on the road all day !!! When I took the bathtub mate and put in out in the tube ........ too my shock , out came a face cloth with someone else's feces on it !!!!!! I was so mad that I took this in a bag and went to the elevator to go down to the front desk ... Guess what next ???? I got into the elevator and got stuck in there ,,, had to open doors with my hands to get out ....... Then walked down to the front desk and talked to the Manager and all I got from him was " I'm sorry " this would be a joke but still had to pay full price and he told the woman beside him to though out the face cloth !!!!!!!! Good thing he didn't tell her to go and put it in the laundry !!!! I 've traveled all over NA and am from Newfoundland ... never thought I would recieve this kind off service in any part off Nefoundland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Never stay here !!!!!!!!!!! Stay far far far from here !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my opinion and my revie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Polarbear6505
Newfoundland
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Wilds to attend a Wedding on August 17, 2012. The Resort is beautiful as are the rooms we had a Villa. We arrived check in great busy but that was to be expected with a Wedding. Went to our room and back to the bar for a drink with friends we hadn't seen in a while. Ordered drinks with diet pepsi, bartender put in regular when I corrected her she snapped at me said if I had asked for diet I would have got diet, very politely I told her I did (I haven't drank regular pop in over 25 years) she slammed the two drinks she had mixed down behind the bar and told the other bartender to serve me!!! Excuse me!! I was very embarassesd the bartender (female blonde) should be dismissed. Why is it so difficult to get good customer service, we drove over 400 kms and paid over $200 for the room. This resort made a good dollar on this wedding I would at least like to be treated like a respected guest. My husband who was sitting in the lounge overheard the conversation and was also quite upset at how disrespectfully I was treated. The room although quite beautiful was on the bottom floor and there was someone (which we later found out was a large dog) walking around in the upstairs room all night and early the next morning - not much they could do about that it is pet friendly but maybe management should book people with dogs on the lower floor as they do tend to be unsettled in a strange environment. I would love to stay at the Wilds again but my experience at the bar has left us with a bad taste. Staff should be trained in customer service in establishments like this. It only takes one unpleasant staff member to ruin a nice retreat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Miko
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Friendly staff but that is where it all stops. The food was mediocre compared to what we had through Newfoundland. I took the smokey applewood salmon for dinner and what I had in my plate was a very dry, overcooked, tasteless fish instead. I slept in quite a few beds in Newfoundland and throughout the world and the bed I had at The Wilds qualifies as the worst one I ever slept in. It was sinking so much in the middle and was so soft, without any support, that at 04:30 h I was still steering at the ceiling.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

New suite was nice was spacious with balcony with grill. No local groceries so buy in route. Bar snack in evening was all fried but fairly tasty. Breakfast was exceedingly slow and coffee was only water.
Major concern was bed. Could smell after shave of prior guest. Sheets also were of questionable cleanliness.
Not much else in area.

• Stayed July 2012
Marystown, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Decided to stay & play at last minute when dropping my son off to the NLGA weekend junior golf clinic, and was offered a great package, including upgrade to "queen suite". Rooms in main lodge are basic, but clean & comfortable and new villas look gorgeous. Staff go overboard to accomodate and impress. Course is in good shape & enjoyable, except for the blackflies and my score. Fly dope and the wind can help alleviate the former, but not the latter. Only 15 min off the TCH, and shoulder season rates mean golf & cart are basically free with a room at a normal price.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dufferMcgee
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We go to the Wilds twice a year for scrapbooking & each visit just keeps getting better & better.
The menu's have improved so much...lots of healthy choices as wells just about anything you could want. the bed is slept in was so comfortable, I wanted to take it home with me. The Staff: I cannot say enough good things about the staff, they all go way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that we were happy, well fed & comfortable. I would reccommend a stay at this facility to anyone. I did have the occassion to visit the newly renovated Jacuzzi Suite...wow is all I can say about it...absolutely breathtaking. Thanks to Management & Staff once again for making our weekend getaway so enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyrood
Comerfords Suites
#2 of 3 in Bay Roberts
Carrolls Green
Carrolls Green
#1 of 1 in Holyrood

Been to The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites? Share your experiences!