“Tuesday”

“Tuesday”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Good service

Good homemade soup
Clubhouse with real turkey and bacon though mayo overload

Burger not homemade
Pulled pork no flavour
Fries na

Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
“Nothing Special but it is Deer Lake”
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

There's a very limited selection of restaurants in Deer Lake so keeping that in mind, The Big Stop is probably as good as it gets. Service is good. The food average but not perfect. For example, the hashbrowns were the frozen variety and overcooked. The toast was of the "wonder bread" type. If we go again, we will try one of the local specials and see how that goes.

Caledon, Canada
“Long wait for service then mixed up order!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were on a day trip to Gros Morne and stopped here last Sunday for a quick breakfast (4 adults and 4 children). It seemed to take a long time to be waited on and still longer for coffee to arrive. But then the wait for our food took a very long time. I wasn't really watching the clock, but after a while even I became impatient. And then, when the food came out, only half the order came out correctly. The other half was hopelessly mixed up and eggs that should have been "over easy" were over cooked.

The only saving grace was the assistant manager who saw what was happening and attempted to straighten things out and compensate us for our trouble. We were grateful for her help and the food was good when it finally did arrive. But unfortunately we spent far too much of our day trip to Gros Morne sitting at the Irving Big Stop!

1 Thank DaveandBeverley
Newfoundland
“You Don't Want to Eat Here! :(”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Ate here this week and was terribly disappointed! Thought we'd stop for a quick lunch with friends with whom we were traveling - boy, were we wrong! Had to wait an abnormally long time to be seated (*that should have been the first hint!). There were several sections of the restaurant closed. When patrons asked why, they were bluntly told that it was closed and they had to follow what the manager said. Several of our party tried to order soup - a staple at the Big Stop. NO SOUP! Apparently, according to our server, there was no short order cook to make it! So we ordered different items from the menu (*that we have eaten in the past). When the orders came out, fries and meat loaf were cold, gravy was obviously from a can! BUT the biggest disappointment was my meal - I had ordered fries, dressing and gravy. Now, any Newfoundlander knows that "dressing" is made with bread and savory. When I tasted my FDG (*fries, dressing, gravy), I knew something was definitely wrong. Obviously the cook has mistaken Thyme for Savory and added this to the dressing instead. We had waited so long at this point that I ate it anyway - we had to get back on the road and time was ticking! When the young server brought us our bills, I questioned her about the cook, asking if he was new. I told her there was Thyme and not Savory in the dressing and she immediately looked embarrassed! She told me that in fact the cook had mixed up the ingredients for the dressing yesterday, and was told to throw it out. Guess that didn't happen ... when my husband told her that his meatloaf was cold, she said, "Oh is that what you thought?" Since I had tasted the cold meat loaf, I was quick to add that in fact it had been cold! :(

*It is important to note that there were a good number of servers on the floor that day - some of whom were arguing with each other visibly and loudly in front of the patrons. During our dinner, a large group of my colleagues came in for dinner. There were unable to sit together due to sections of the restaurant that were closed. The server was very curt with them, and you could see they were unimpressed. When some of them sat at the table next to us and began chatting with us, I suggested they leave and go somewhere else because of the poor service and food - the six of them left immediately.

What a huge disappointment when this restaurant was formerly known for it's good food and service!!

1 Thank terre-neuvienne
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
“Drive on by...”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Was there as, what we thought, would be a quick lunch. Got there at 1 and didn't get done till 2 20!! Although our waitress was very nice(wish I knew her name) the service was slow. We were informed they were short a cook. However that's no excuse for other waitresses being very rude to other patrons. Meals were barely warm, overpriced for the quality. There was no soup, dressing was made with thyme, refills on a drink took 20 minutes. A simple explanation before we were seated would have been great, to let us know they were short a cook and we would be waiting at least 30 to 40 minutes for our meal. Frustrated waitresses make for unpleasant experiences.

3 Thank seekingsun10