“Skimpy Sandwich, Foot-Dragging Service”

Deer Lake Irving Big Stop
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Deer Lake
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Irving truck stop of Deer Lake is conveniently located at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and the Viking Trail. The location is the best of it. I ordered the pulled pork sandwich, which was served on a surprisingly good ciabatta roll. The roll was the best of the sandwich. The pulled pork was low on flavor, and very sparse in the sandwich, even for someone who appreciates a good roll. The service was very slow, and I had to remind my waiter that I had an order in. When he brought it to the table it was obvious from the temperature that it had been ready and would have languished longer if I had not nudged him.

1  Thank dch46

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This restaurant is located in a busy gas station on the TCH, therefore, is Very busy most times of the day. I've eaten at this restaurant a few times and always had no problem with the food or service. Since they are very busy, you'll more than likely have to pick a spot someone just moved out of so the dirty dishes will still be on the table, a server will be there within 3 or 5 minutes and take your order depending on how may other people came in around the same time as you did. If you get noticed first, your order will be taken first. I think they do a good job of taking people's orders depending on who came in and sat first. The food is good home cooked meals, there is a daily special and even only having water to drink, 3 people can be around $40. I do recommend this place, give it at least one try.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Used to stop here many times during my University years, driving from the Northern Peninsula to St. John's, and many times since then to bring my family home to Newfoundland. The service now is hit and miss. Once our waitress brought out the wrong order and even when we told her, she still didn't seem to remember, forgot to bring coffees, condiments, etc, yet still charged us for things on the bill which we didn't receive! Restaurant across the street at the Deer Lake Motel is a better spot.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Went to have lunch, found a seat and got our order put in right away. Sounds great so far hey? Well it went down hill after that. No drinks arrived after 20 minutes so we asked another server if she could get them. Then after another 20 minutes we noticed people that arrived after us were eating. Asked to speak to waitress and after another 15 mins she came over and informed us that our order just went in. We decided not to wait any longer.

1  Thank Jason-Jackie J
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Generally fast service, it can get pretty busy there. Basic truck stop food, not a lot of healthy choices.