“Best place on the rock”

Newfoundland Insectarium
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Deer Lake
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Newfoundland Insectarium is a museum of nature featuring insects and arthropods from around the world. It houses thousands of live and mounted specimens including a butterfly garden, glass beehive, and ant colony. It is located in Reidville, Newfoundland, just outside Deer Lake.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Favorite place on the island to visit stops in ever time I travel up and down the coast was there yesterday and plan on dropping in there again on my next trip just to see the amazing displays, insects, and the wonderful staff

Reviewed June 23, 2013

One of the happiest days in my houshold is the day in May every year when the Insectarium opens for the season. We live in Deer Lake, and visiting the insectarium is one of my sons favourite things to do. We could go everyday and still be amazed with what this place has to offer. Its difficlut to explain how beautiful the butterfly garden is. You really have to experience it. We were there yesterday and there were so many beautiful butterflies flying around with such breathtaking colours. There are benches and a relaxing swing where you can sit, relax and take it all in. There is also a little pond in there with some fish to observe which is also a very nice touch. When you move to the upper two levels you will be amazed at the variety of creatures that you will be able to observe, learn about and even touch!!! The bees are one of our favourites and my son enjoys finding the queen bee which has a special marking to identify her. The leaf cutter ants are also one of our favourites as are the stick insects, the tarantulas and the toads. It's difficult to truly understand what this place has to offer unless you experience it!! As an added bonus the gift shop is super, with very reasonableness prices. I have even gone there to buy birthday presents for my sons friends. You also have to make sure you stop by the coffee / ice cream shop for a treat before you leave. Take some time to visit the Newfoundland Insectarium. I'm sure you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful place to take a moment to breath and wonder at these amazing and beatiful insects.
The staff are friendly, courteous & knowledgable.
The venue is extremely well cared for as are the various special inhabitants!
I go often on my own to just enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the butterfly pavilion but sometimes my kids (11yrs old -15) get to make the trip with me and the insectarium is a must see every time we pass through. No one ever gets tired of going!
The cost of a family pass is ecceptional and most certainly worth every penny.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This site is amazing. I watched a butterfly hatch and dry it's wings. I was able to photograph various species of butterflies. The Insectarium is very clean and tidy. I am fortunate I can return again next week and tour the rest of the site. I made it in to the garden with my camera...I was so relaxed I snapped some photos and sat and watched the butterflies flit about. It was a great place to take a break after driving.
I would recommend the Insectarium to all ages and both sexes.

1  Thank 36930wendy
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Lovely interpretation and live critters to go along with collections to teach about various insects and science.

1  Thank LazydaysGanderNL