“Do not stay at this property”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Lake
Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 Deer Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2012

July 29 and 30. Room was not ready when we arrived, despite website saying check in by 3 pm. We were provided with 2 towels of different size,colour and quality and questionable cleanliness. There was one hand towel, no bath mat, no soap, no,shower gel. The bathroom floor had black hairs on it, the shower base and mirrors had not been cleaned for some time. All the furniture was dusty. The kitchen hygiene was non existent.There were at least 2 days' worth of breakfast dishes in the sink, the bin had not been emptied for some time and had never been wiped, the microwave was filthy. Breakfast was a health risk.. There were oranges growing penicillin, milk served in the carton with the red'special' label,still on it,margarine with a melted puddle of rancid fat, some stale bread and Smuckers jams in jars, most of which were nearly empty. We have stayed in10 other b abd bs in Newfoundland, some of which have not had four star ratings. This was the worst experience we have had and is an insult to all the other hard working, proud operators of b and bs who provide wonderful experiences. This one makes a mockery of the star rating system. How this one is allowed to call itself 4 stars is a mystery, and how dare it charge the rates it does! The number of bad reviews on this site indicates that that the operator takes no notice of customers' opinions. Someone from Canada Select needs to address this issue if the organisation is to maintain its integrity.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael M

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This B&B was advertised both on line and in the NL travel guide as a 4*. It doesn't deserve a *. We aren't even sure if the linens were fresh on the beds. The double bed squeaked as soon as it was sat upon.The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. There were two towels and two facecloths. When my husband had a shower and opened the towel, human hair in the form of a hairball fell out of the towel. There were two drinking glasses - one was clean the other had dried food on it. There was excess noise outside the bedroom, which faced the street. Breakfast consisted of our choice of white or brown bread, which we toasted ourselves and store bought jams - in the bottles. There were oranges in a bowl and they were mouldy. We travelled western NL and this B&B on our last night was a HUGE disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I almost stayed here July 19. We called Gordon after trying a few other places which were full. He said he had 2 rooms but didn't tell us there is only a continental breakfast. After being there a while he came into the common room where we and another couple were watching TV. I asked him when breakfast was. He began to appologize profusely that he didn't tell us before hand that he doesn't do a cooked breakfast anymore and it was basically help yourself. I said I was gluten free and the cooked breakfast was one of the big reasons we were there. He said may be we should go elsewhere. At past 8pm and after driving all day, we really didn't want to do that. I said I had oatmeal with me and if I could cook it there, we could get around the continental breakfast. He said okay. The other couple there asked what was for breakfast and he said there was cereal, bread and whatever we could find. After he left the other couple said he hadn't told them about breakfast either.We did a quick look through the cupboards and didn't find too much. Nearer to 930pm Another couple came in and they hadn't been told about breakfast either.

At this point i should say, we never saw his wife and very little of him. They have started a cafe in the last year and that has taken a lot of their time. Gordon told us he has stopped cooking breakfast because he is spending a lot of time picking guests up to and from the airport and car rental agencies.

The outside of the house doesn't look anything like the picture in the advertisement. There are lots of weeds growing between the front steps among other things. The rooms are a little small but the private bathroom across the hall is lovely as are all the common rooms. However there are no robes to wear between the bathroom and your room. Also there was some shampoo and a hand soap dispenser in the bathroom but no soap for the shower, etc. Gordon has a sign by the front door with three phone numbers to get hold of him if a guest needs anything. So I called him and asked about the lack of soap. He said I was raising too many issues and we should go elsewhere. I said I would discuss it with my husband and call him back. He said no we should go. I had hurt him and it was his home after all. He would look for somewhere else for us to stay. A few minutes later he appeared from the back of the house and said once again he was hurt we had looked in the cupboards. I reminded him he had stood on that spot and told all of us we could. He admitted he had but dismissed it. Whenasked if he had called anyone else, he said it was better if we did that ourselves. By now it was nearly 10pm.

One of the other couples said they would email us and tell us about breakfast. We did manage to get a room in a hotel because of a last minute cancellation only. The places around Deer Lake are usually full because of the airport. The email we received 2 days later said breakfast was 3 oranges, 2 limes, 2 apples, bread and cereal and Gordon made 1/2 pot of coffee. The couple had tea and toast and left quickly after the way we had been treated.

This is definately not a 4 star b and b according to the criteria set out by Canada Select. But as some of the reviews have said, if you don't care about breakfast and are looking for a ride to the airport this place will do.
As we hadn't planned to stop in Deer Lake, we hadn't checked tripadvisor about this place. If we had I wouldn't need to be writing this review.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Iris H
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The brochure that you find out there at tourist information centres or wherever is the most inaccurate
piece of work that I have ever seen. The lawn at the front of the house is all torn up There was a driveway at both sides of the house and not one as pictured.. The picture of the full traditional breakfast is only in your dreams. The continental breakfast has 2 dry cereals, warm milk sitting on the counter for how long, who knows - warm orange juicer also sitting there, instant coffee for you to make on your own and a tub of margarine for 2 half loaves of stale bread.. As for directions - coming off the Viking Trail - there is no sign. The owner acknowledged this that it was knocked down and stolen several months ago. When we arrived at his door finally - rang the doorbell with no answer, used telephone numbers on clipboard outside to reach owner. We phoned and made reservations 3 days prior to our arriving. Told us he did not have an idea as to what room we would be going into. When we showed him our paperwork, the room with the queen bed and the private ensuite we were told it was not ready.
We had to wait while he changed the sheets and cleaned the place up somewhat ! We decided to go to his wife's restaurant "Cafe on Main" while he did this. The dinner itself of fried cod was good. The restaurant and owner who was there, Judy, brought our meal and then ignored us while chatting up with some local people. The table we sat at could have been cleaned off before our dinner was served but was not. There were tools on another table and dirty dishes on another table that were there when we left. The owner left before we finished our meal knowing that we were even staying at her Bed & Breakfast and didn't acknowledge us in any way. We had to pay the cook for our dinner. When we got back to the Bed and Breakfast found the dirty sheets on the floor in the bedroom. The bathroom floor was tacky/dirty. Beer bottles full and empty in the bathroom cabinet. No faceclothes. The liquid dispensing soap we were told to use in the shower also. The clock radio was unplugged when we got there - plugged it in and could not get it to work We had to phone him to inquire about the soap. The bathtub did not drain at all - standing in 3-4 inches of water after shower.
The bed quilt appeared to have white fur all over it and did not smell good. There was dust on the floor. This place was by far the most disgusting Bed & Breakfast we have ever been in.
Grant and Joan

Room Tip: no good rooms to choose from
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joan S
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our experience was terrible! I'm not a person that expects anything "fancy", just friendly service and clean facilities. There was no faceclothes or hand towels in our bathroom and only one bath towel. When we asked for faceclothes and hand towels the lady told us "she didn't have a chance to get around to drying them yet". The comforter had white, crusty stains on it....I think I rather not know what that was!!

The owner was suppose to take us to the airport in the morning as they offer to let you park your car at the B&B. He wasn't available all evening and eventually we went to bed not knowing if he realized what time we had to leave! When we arrived back in NL, he hadn't dropped off our keys (it was 10:00 at night, so he had all day) and then told us he could bring our car down to us if we could drive him back home!!! We had a 2 1/2 hour drive home and we had to drive him back into town! I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelbug G
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I'm surprised at some of the reviews I've read on this site. I can't believe it's the same place we stay. We've stayed at this B&B at least four times, could be five. The service provided to us was excellent. The bedsheets were clean, the bathroom was clean. Those two services are most important to us. Gordon is a wonderful person. We've met Judy twice and found her to be very helpful with any questions we had. Gordon brought us to the airport and picked us up. You can leave your car there for as long as you are away, if you want. In December our son called Gordon to see if he could leave our car there as he couldn't pick us up the day we arrived. The car was left for two days, Gordon even picked us up at the airport, brought us back to the B&B to get our car to go home. He didn't even charge us for it. Gordon has done a beautiful job building on a sun room at the back of the house. I saw a review where someone complained about the backyard being messy. This was at the construction time of this room, of course there's going to be a mess. As for breakfast - it was fine for us. At 4:30 in the morning, I certainly don't want a big breakfast before getting on a plane, nor does my husband. We had stayed at a B&B in Cape Breton a few years back which completely turned us off from B&Bs. You could hear everyone walking around, three bedrooms shared the same bathroom and we didn't get a breakfast. The cost for that? $100.00. So we tried an Inn in Deer Lake, now you talk about a noisy fan that kept us up all night and a smelly room. I had to wash everything in our suitcase plus the clothes we had on when we arrived at our destination. A friend suggested Bird's Nest to us when we had an early flight one morning. We are so glad she did. That's certainly where we will stay anytime we have a flight from DL or have any reason to stay in DL.

Room Tip: Kingfisher room is excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaxineE44
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I booked this place in the spring after reading rave reviews and didn't keep checking this website to make sure it stayed as good as it was. Somewhere during the summer, the service dropped off and we encountered the same problem (nobody to answer the door, nobody to answer the phone when we called). A fellow guest ended up letting us in. The house is beautiful (especially the solarium) and, while the host, Gordon, did truly try to welcome us when he finally arrived and asked after us during our stay and upgraded our room for free, we felt uncomfortable being there. Many family members were in the house and wouldn't speak to us. Lights shine in the front windows when Gordon goes to pick up people at the airport in the night, other guests make noise (or should I say the walls are so thin you can't help but hear them even zip up their luggage) when leaving in the night, and the breakfast is dismal. Hopefully, things will improve by next summer so this place can return to its former good ratings. It certainly has great potential.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple