“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Lake
Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 Deer Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our experience was terrible! I'm not a person that expects anything "fancy", just friendly service and clean facilities. There was no faceclothes or hand towels in our bathroom and only one bath towel. When we asked for faceclothes and hand towels the lady told us "she didn't have a chance to get around to drying them yet". The comforter had white, crusty stains on it....I think I rather not know what that was!!

The owner was suppose to take us to the airport in the morning as they offer to let you park your car at the B&B. He wasn't available all evening and eventually we went to bed not knowing if he realized what time we had to leave! When we arrived back in NL, he hadn't dropped off our keys (it was 10:00 at night, so he had all day) and then told us he could bring our car down to us if we could drive him back home!!! We had a 2 1/2 hour drive home and we had to drive him back into town! I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelbug G

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I'm surprised at some of the reviews I've read on this site. I can't believe it's the same place we stay. We've stayed at this B&B at least four times, could be five. The service provided to us was excellent. The bedsheets were clean, the bathroom was clean. Those two services are most important to us. Gordon is a wonderful person. We've met Judy twice and found her to be very helpful with any questions we had. Gordon brought us to the airport and picked us up. You can leave your car there for as long as you are away, if you want. In December our son called Gordon to see if he could leave our car there as he couldn't pick us up the day we arrived. The car was left for two days, Gordon even picked us up at the airport, brought us back to the B&B to get our car to go home. He didn't even charge us for it. Gordon has done a beautiful job building on a sun room at the back of the house. I saw a review where someone complained about the backyard being messy. This was at the construction time of this room, of course there's going to be a mess. As for breakfast - it was fine for us. At 4:30 in the morning, I certainly don't want a big breakfast before getting on a plane, nor does my husband. We had stayed at a B&B in Cape Breton a few years back which completely turned us off from B&Bs. You could hear everyone walking around, three bedrooms shared the same bathroom and we didn't get a breakfast. The cost for that? $100.00. So we tried an Inn in Deer Lake, now you talk about a noisy fan that kept us up all night and a smelly room. I had to wash everything in our suitcase plus the clothes we had on when we arrived at our destination. A friend suggested Bird's Nest to us when we had an early flight one morning. We are so glad she did. That's certainly where we will stay anytime we have a flight from DL or have any reason to stay in DL.

Room Tip: Kingfisher room is excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaxineE44
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I booked this place in the spring after reading rave reviews and didn't keep checking this website to make sure it stayed as good as it was. Somewhere during the summer, the service dropped off and we encountered the same problem (nobody to answer the door, nobody to answer the phone when we called). A fellow guest ended up letting us in. The house is beautiful (especially the solarium) and, while the host, Gordon, did truly try to welcome us when he finally arrived and asked after us during our stay and upgraded our room for free, we felt uncomfortable being there. Many family members were in the house and wouldn't speak to us. Lights shine in the front windows when Gordon goes to pick up people at the airport in the night, other guests make noise (or should I say the walls are so thin you can't help but hear them even zip up their luggage) when leaving in the night, and the breakfast is dismal. Hopefully, things will improve by next summer so this place can return to its former good ratings. It certainly has great potential.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lingfing22
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My sister, from St. John's, myself from Vernon, BC and my 10yr old granddaughter from Camrose, Alberta arrived at the Bird's Nest Bed And Breakfast in Deer Lake, Nl at approximately 5:30 August 04, 2011 after a long drive from St. John's.

We rang the bell and an elderly lady answered the door, stating she was looking after the owner's mother and didn't really know anything about the B&B. No hello, how are you or any welcoming introduction of any sort. She took us into the house and gave us a key and told us there were lots of DVDs if we wanted to watch a movie. No other information was supplied and she disappeared.

The front and back yard was a mess of weeds and appeared to have been neglected for years. The yard did not resemble the manicured show piece the owner has on his web site. The front entrance was cluttered with old broken down chairs. Outside the front door was an old planter which people had been using as an ash tray. The room was not much better. There were plastic coverings on the mattress so if you moved while on the bed there was the sound of plastic crunching. The mattress on both beds was hard and unforgiving with one of them having a dip in the centre from old age. The main fan light in the centre of the room did not work nor did the octopus light hanging over the bed. My granddaughter went to have a shower at 9:30pm and it started to flood as the drain on the floor was plugged. The bathroom sink was also plugged. Gordon, the owner was called and showed up about 15 min later. He left and came back with a toilet plunger and plunged away at the shower and sink. At around 10:30 pm, while we sat on the beds waiting for him to finish, he came out of the bathroom and said the shower would drain well enough but the sink needed a new part. The sink remained plugged. 'Sorry about that' he said and left. He did not subsequently return and clean the shower stall or sink after having plunged with a toilet plunger that had been who knows where. The towels were shoddy looking and did not smell clean.

In the morning we went to the breakfast nook expecting breakfast. There was no one there. My sister called the owner on her cell and he showed up about 15 min later. He pointed to the corn flakes box and stale muffins and the coffee pot. I knew the muffins were old as on the front door step were 2 new boxes of Tim Horton's muffins which he brought into the kitchen nook while we were eating our breakfast. My sister said to the owner that his web site indicated a hot breakfast would be provided. He replied, "Oh, we cater to the airport crowd and just provide continental breakfast. I'll have to update my web site." My sister replied that we were not the airport crowd and wanted a hot breakfast and Gordon said, "Well, what do you want?" Bacon and eggs and toast was the reply. He disappeared for 15 or so minutes and returned and asked again what we wanted and then proceeded to the kitchen to prepare the food. He returned with the food and we had to ask him for a knife and fork to which he said "well people don't usually need that with a continental breakfast." The jam for the toast was in those prepared plastic packages and gauging the consistency of the jam it was very old and inedible.

The owner did not appear to be interested in his guests and the place appears to be in a state of neglect so all in all not an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Youdacat
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The shuttle service is certainly an attractive feature offered by this B & B. The room offered was good and its features were as requested. In spite of their advertisement, a hot breakfast was not available since the one person who does the cooking was not available until sometime later. I chose to pay the room rate in cash but change was not immediately available and the there was an inference that I should waive receiving all the change I was due. I stuck to my guns and correct change was eventually found. But it left a bad taste in my mouth!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tony1784
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed here on our last night as we were flying out of Deer Lake the next morning. As other reviews have stated, the owners were opening a restaurant at the time of our stay so it did feel like the B & B was neglected . They were very friendly and told us to make ourselves at home - we enjoyed their beautiful new sunroom at the back of the house and there was a computer we could use to check our e-mails. There is also a deck at the back but the backyard was a disaster - Gordon told us it is because their focus had been on building the new sunroom and also the restaurant. The front yard was also a mess and unkept. The breakfast was very simple and disappointing. Our room was tiny and smelled stale - the blanket on our bed had obviously not been washed in a while . There was also some orange mold on the shower floor. Toilet paper holder in the bathroom was broken. Some care needs to be given to these things as you can tell that at one time it really was a beautiful B & B and of course can be again. Location is great for the airport - only 10 mins away

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AgentSusan
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We decided to stay at Birdsnest B&B primarily because they accomodate travelers flying in or out of Deer Lake airport. We had an early flight scheduled for the next morning. The plan was:

1. To shuttle us back from the airport Thurs. evening after dropping off our rental car.
This was done with some confusion. The woman who met us didn't know the plan and the owner was sleeping but she did find a friend to shuttle us.

2. Provide an early breakfast prior departing for the airport.
There was no breakfast. In the breakfast room that morning we only found
a few flies circling above the dirty dishes and decaying food scraps, left for 24hours, from the prior day's breakfast.

3. Shuttle us to the airport in the morning. This did happen on time. But the owner had again been up all night and seemed exhausted.

We found our room to be terribly small and cramped. Access to the bed was limited to one side and that was tight. The room was warm and stuffy, with only one of the three small windows able to be opened. No fan or air conditioning. This room was hot on a chilly rainy day. I can't imagine being in there on a warm day. I don't know what the other rooms here are like.

The common areas were very nice and better ventilated.

To be fair these folks were also opening a new restaurant in town and our stay happened also be their opening day at the restaurant. Maybe they would not normally be so out of control at the B&B. Chaos seemed to rule. They may not be able to handle both.

The owner did offer an apology but I felt he should have not charged for our stay or at least suggested a significant discount. He did not offer either.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple