“Awesome hidden gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bonavista Social Club

Bonavista Social Club
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Bonavista
Cuisines: Pizza, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Newmarket, Ontario
“Awesome hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently was able to try Bonavista Social Club during my week long stay in Amherst Cove to visit my Pop for his 90th birthday! We first went for lunch, which all of us had pizzas made in the wood fire oven. The food was great and so was the homemade lemonade we had. Not only is the food excellent, and all home-made and home grown by the owners themselves, the view from the restaurant is breath taking. One thing I love about Amherst Cove is the great view every where you go, but to be able to eat on the porch or inside and see that same great view is the best of both worlds! On our second visit to Katie's restaurant, we made reservations for our party of 9 for a birthday and everything was set up for us when we arrived. We felt right at home when Shane and Katie dimmed the lights and brought out a Chocolate Carrot Cake for my Pop and joined in singing Happy birthday to him. They both know my grandfather personally so it was extra special to have them making our meal on his birthday. It was also awesome to have an entire Cocoa carrot cake for us to indulge in, thanks to Katie making our special request come true.
This is a great place to eat. Will go back again next time we're in Newfoundland

Newmarket
“Our 2nd, 3rd and 4th visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

So we are hooked on this heavenly restaurant. I am not sure how anyone can find fault with this place. The food is amazing! As for the owners, I would have to say that if you feel the you were not welcome it is to bad. I am sure that the problem would have been that they were sooo busy that a hello just did not find it's way to you. The couple are warm and welcoming and enjoy meeting new people. The food is good and the menu changes according to what is in season.
We just celebrated my father in law's 90th birthday there. It was the perfect place to share a meal and a bottle of wine ( that we brought).
I hope that this review encourages more people to pay them a visit. Be sure to ask for the chocolate carrot cake. Then you can describe it somehow!!

1 Thank superbuddy
Newmans Cove
“Incredible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The owners of this establishment will make you feel like family, unlike what a previous reviewer had to say. They must have looked and behaved as second class or no class when they showed up.
The pizza is definitely worth eating and the Chocolate Carrot cake is to die for.

• Visited May 2012
london
“Tasty pizza and glorious sunset”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We ate here after hiking the Skelink trail and driving along the coast. Started by visiting the goats and then were able to sit at the bar (they only have a few tables...I would suggest booking). Rhubard lemonade lovely (though we wish we had remembered to bring some beer or wine) and excellent pizzas. We watched ours sizzling in the oven. The parsnip soup needed more seasoning....I think it would be very good with curried spices. And the evening sunset was a stunner after a lovely warm day. Do visit this place so they stay in business as they are a real gem.

1 Thank profd
Wingham, Canada
“A must go place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We loved this place, went for lunch twice and dinner once. They don't have a lot of seating, so a reservation is good to have. It's a new restaurant, I think the only wood fired oven on the island, with a young chef who will do well. There are raised beds and gardens were organic produce for the restaurant grows, including wonderful greens and garlic, which you don't see enough of in Newfoundland. The pizza is made to order with a tomato or pesto base, and is the best pizza I have ever eaten at a restaurant. We also had soup, roasted parsnip, pan fried cod, it could have used some lemon or sauce, and really good salad, followed by crime brûlée, also the rhubarb lemonade as mentioned before was really nice. The view is wonderful. It's really in the middle of a small village, and you have to watch for the signs, but full of people all the times we were there. The bread is the best! well worth the extra effort to find.lovely friendly people.

• Visited September 2012