“Very Average”

McNay's White House
Ranked #5 of 24 Restaurants in St. Stephen
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Seafood, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Ottawa, Canada
“Very Average”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The service was great here, but I wasn't overly pleased with the quality of the food served. It was processed and not fresh. I had high hopes for this home-style looking restaurant, but left feeling like I could have got something better at a fast food establishment.

• Visited June 2013

“Love McNays! ”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

After not eating here in approx 10 years, it is still pretty good.
Lobster roll plate was amazing!
Fried haddock was ok, didn't taste or look like the fresh cut fish they had years ago. The poppers were amazing! Chocolate creme pie for dessert is highly recommended!

Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Where's the chicken?”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

If my husband were rating McNay's, he would probably rate it higher. He had a turkey dinner with stuffing, corn, and a baked potato (He opted not to have the cole slaw.) for $10.25. He was very happy with his dinner and said that everything was delicious and there was plenty of it.

I, on the other hand, was not happy with this restaurant. if I were rating it based on only my experience, I would have given it no more than a two. I had a grilled CHICKEN wrap for $8.50. The problem was that there weren't very many pieces of chicken. The chicken was cut up into little pieces as were the lettuce and tomato. The lettuce tasted like bag lettuce and the tomato was tasteless.

I often order a grilled chicken sandwich when I eat out. Usually I get a whole, good sized breast in my sandwich. The lettuce is usually fresh and the tomato has some taste. My sandwich at McNay's is one the worst grilled chicken sandwiches I have ever had in a restaurant.

The rest room was not very nice.

On a positive note, the fish and chip platters were huge. The man at the inn where we stayed said he and his family often order take out (fish and chips} from this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Like going back in time”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After driving by this place all my life I finally had a chance to stop and get some take out dinners to bring to the motel. I am so glad I did. It fulfilled my expectations, which included a clean "home town" small diner-type of restaurant. Fancy you want? Not here. Want to feel like you are stopping by your favorite aunt's country kitchen for a home cooked meal? Then stop here! My wife had fish and chips and I had the scallop dinner. Both were excellent and had generous portions.

• Visited July 2013
Saint John, New Brunswick
“Excellent Fish & Chips”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are a fan of great old fashioned Fish & Chips, large portions and friendly service, you will fall in love with McNay's.

• Visited April 2013