“Loved it!”

The Chocolate Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in what used to be the original Ganong candy factory, The Chocolate Museum offers an interactive way to learn about candy making in St. Stephen - a tradition that has lasted over a century. Explore the history of the Ganong family, who still run the company, and the wonders of chocolate with our hands-on exhibits, interactive computer displays, historic chocolate boxes, and antique candy-making equipment. All of Ganong's hand-crafted products are made right here in the museum, allowing you to observe our famous hand dippers at work. Come to the Chocolate Museum to see why St. Stephen is known as "Canada's Chocolate Town".
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had a wonderful time. After watching an interesting video, we were given a guided tour of the museum. I found the history fascinating and I was especially intrigued by learning about the training of hand dippers. This museum is definitely worth a visit!

I also feel compelled to respond to Sedona1998's negative review, because I feel it is so undeserved. I can't imagine only rating this pleasant museum a one.

Sedona1998 says, "You can walk through the entire place in under three minutes - 15 if you take the time to read every single display." While this museum is small, this is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a (5 minute?) video and then a guided tour, and I think the whole thing lasted more than 15 minutes, and there were a *lot* of displays that I did not read.

Sedona1998 also says, "It was also grotesquely overpriced. And to charge admission - that is a crime." This is also an exaggeration. It was $7. Perhaps this is slightly overpriced--maybe $5 would be a better admission for a small museum--but this was certainly enjoyable and valuable, and I don't see anything wrong in charging for this.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our tour guide was Chris and he did a wonderful job making the tour both fun and informative! LOTS of free chocolate samples!! Very interesting to see how the chocolstes were made and amazing to find out that some of the original equipment is still being used. Of course, the tour wouldnt be complete without a purchase of hand dipped chocolates!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have to start by saying the staff at the Chocolate Museum are super-friendly and really want to be of assistance. Upon arriving at the Museum, the first thing they did was offer us a chocolate while we watched the video about the history of Ganong. Afterwards, one of the staff went through some of the interactive displays with us and then we went through the rest of the museum on our own. Yes, there were lots of opportunities to try the chocolates. I think one of our favourite interactive displays was the chocolate box sorting. A time clock is in place while you try to put the chocolates in the box in the order shown on the display. The time to beat is 17 seconds. Good luck!

After the museum, we went to the Ganong store along located on the property and purchased all kinds of tasty treats.

If you're in the area, be sure to stop in.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Love the history and the store as well! I always take chocolate from here back with me. Everyone loves it!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'm looking at all these positive reviews and wondering if I am seeing the right place, but this was it. You can walk through the entire place in under three minutes - 15 if you take the time to read every single display. You can fit the entire "museum" in a 700 sq foot house and have room to spare. It was also grotesquely overpriced. They would have been better served if the museum was free and they charged for the chocolates (not to mention the product was of simply average quality and if you weren't given samples you might be inclined to buy some after your brief stroll).

Don't get me wrong, it was interesting and the staff was extremely polite but to call this place a "museum" is a stretch... And to charge admission - that is a crime.

3  Thank Sedona1998
chocolatemuseum, Manager at The Chocolate Museum, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that you found our staff polite and our topic interesting, but are sorry that you weren't pleased with your visit to the Museum. We expanded the Museum several years ago and added many new exhibits and displays. A typical self-guided tour takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a guided tour (which is offered for free and offers additional stories and information) takes between one hour and an hour and a half.

The Chocolate Museum is a non-profit museum, it is not owned or operated by any business, and therefore we need to charge admission to cover our costs of doing business. We haven't raised our prices in two years and are very careful to ensure that we are competitive with other museums and attractions in the province. We are also one of the few places (and certainly one of the few museums) that offers free chocolate samples to our guests. We aren't able to please everyone that comes through our doors, but we do strive to offer interesting information about chocolate and the Ganong family, who have been making candy here in our town for 140 years. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip to our province and that you'll come again soon.