“Great place to land after a very long day on the motorcycle”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Winsome Inn

Winsome Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St. Stephen
Totowa, New Jersey
“Great place to land after a very long day on the motorcycle”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a 12hr day on our motorcycles, from NJ to the border crossing, this place fit the bill just right. Parking right outside your door. 6 bikes and 9 people didn't faze the staff one bit. The rooms were very clean, bathrooms spotless. The staff was very helpful. Since 4 of us are smokers, the lady at the desk found us a small "butt bucket" for outside and also gave us info on a delivey pizza place. Water was hot, beds comfy, and overall very clean. Having a pool is also a plus. There are also many stores around to get those forgotten items.
Those traveling to Canada remember the taxes - 13% here - but the base price is about normal for a double bed room.
Overall this is place will be a "stay again" stop on our next trip to Canada.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank emrdr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Toronto
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Picked this one from the reviews on Trip Advisor, nice little place but not fancy don't know how they can charge as much as they do, but hey... we paid it!!?? Friendly staff and they do put out a little spread for the breakfast but I picked Timmies over theirs so...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WayneNHez
Sandwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have stayed here two years ago and decided to do the same trip again. Ii is clean, well furnished with a good swimming pool. Not a long term stay but most convenient and adequate. Good breakfast and convenient. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jcmcpcd
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Comfortable and clean, but overpriced. Bathroom fan VERY loud. Light bulbs in room too low wattage. Priced like a Comfort Inn near a city. Which Winsome Inn ain't. And St Stephen ain't.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Don H
Somerset, PA
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We discovered Winsome Inn on a recommendation from someone in Charlottetown, PE. We called ahead and spoke to Jane who was very accomodating. The check inn was fast and easy, the room was clean and comfortable and the continental breakfast was very nice! It is a basic continental breakfast, nothing fancy, but very nice. This was a very nice place to stay with two good restaurants within easy walking distance (several blocks).

Room Tip: The pool was still closed for the season during the second week of June, so if that is important to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank six82
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stopped here on my drive back to the States from Prince Edward Island. I had taken a wrong turn and stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a snack and find out if they could recommend a place to stay for the night. They told me about 2 or 3 and this was the one I thought would meet my needs. I thought it was going to be a regular motel, but it was much more charming! It's obvious the owners and workers take a great deal of pride in the whimsical decorations and in keeping the rooms spotless. The bathroom sparkled! The bathroom has a pedestal sink that's big enough to wash a baby in, it's so large! The rooms are large and come equipped with a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a great flat screen TV, and comfortable beds. Wireless internet service is provided at no extra charge and was very fast.
The baseboard heater in the sleeping area is beneath the window and has a tendency to blow most of the hot air under the curtains unless you find something to keep the curtains pressed against the wall. I'm sure housekeeping wondered why there was a hanger leaning against the curtain!
The lady who checked me in and the one who checked me out were both great and very helpful. They were both knowledgeable about things to do in the area, places to eat, and gave great directions. Saint Stephen is such a friendly, helpful place and the people working here really reinforce that feeling.
A deluxe continental breakfast is included and was provided in a large, bright room adjoining the office area. There was plenty of food and it was more than just cold cereal and coffee.
I didn't get my wake up call because the high winds had crossed the phone lines, but the lady working the desk was happy to give me a late checkout and she surprised me at breakfast with a lovely box of chocolates that were made in Saint Stephen. There is an alarm clock in the room and next time I'll remember to set that, too.
The cost of the room was average but I considered it a great value since I did want to have breakfast and needed internet access.
I try to base my ratings on the same category of hotel, and I'm basing this on comparisons to other motor inns/motels I've stayed in.
I hope to return here on my next trip to or from the Maritimes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't close to the road, if the sound of cars driving by interrupts your sle...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank janetlorraine
ann arbor
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have stayed at this motel in the past and, most recently, in August of this year. The rooms are more than adequate for a night or two with a small fridge and microwave and relatively up to date bathroom. The property is quiet and safe despite being just in from the main road into the town of St. Stephen. Reception was welcoming and helpful and a modest continental breakfast is provided. I find that, in general, the prices for motels in Canada are more expensive for the same quality of room than many places in the U.S. While I found the Winsome Inn a bit pricey, it's on par with many equivalent motels in Ontario and Atlantic Canada. In my mind, this is the best motel value in the area and certainly between the border and St John (along the Trans Canada Highway). I don't bother checking out other accommodations as it's my first choice for the area when driving to and from Nova Scotia.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
The Coach House
The Coach House
#4 of 7 in St. Stephen

Been to Winsome Inn? Share your experiences!