“Poor”

Ranked #3 of 4 St. Martins B&B and Inns
Santa Monica, California
“Poor”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at this B&B and I can't agree more with the previous reviewer. The room was so outdated and not clean. We found dead flies by the window and hair in the sink. The breakfast was so poor that I've never seen like that in the other B&Bs. It's true that you are not supposed to serve a full fruit breakfast but come on.. Have a second look at the plate before you serve it to the customer.. It was not worth it at all and not recommended.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Aries2576
TidalWatch, Owner at Tidal Watch Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I've delayed in responding to this "review". I'm sorry the guest did not like anything about our property, they certainly did not say anything to us or our staff. Our housekeepers ensure all our rooms are spotless, the rooms are cross checked and we especially check for hair anywhere, we also look for flies but our windows do open. Tidal Watch Inn has new guest rooms (9) constructed in the last 12 years, furniture and fittings include whirlpools, fireplaces etc. We also have a historical section that has 6 rooms. The historical section is in a house originally built in about 1900. Although these rooms are painted as required and furnishings replaced as required, we've tried to keep rooms reflective of the time however I agree some may see that as dated. We thought our pictures were reflective of the rooms character but we will add that these rooms are in our historical section to the pictures on our web site. Guests are able to choose from a full breakfast menu, including eggs your way, French Toast, PanCrepes with real maple syrup, toast and a choice of bacon or sausage links. We will also add pictures of our breakfasts to our site.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was many years ago may be nice but now so poor. Our bathroom was on the street side without curtain for window!
Dirty room and bathroom. Windows can't be closed. Fruit at breakfast is just 1 smal piece of melon.
Owner: please remove the word luxuries because it isn't in 2013.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TidalWatch, Owner at Tidal Watch Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
We're sorry these guests did not enjoy the stay in their room. I'm not sure how to best respond, the bathroom has a blind so guests have total privacy, the drapes are simply there to hide the blinds. You just can't make blackout blinds look good. We offer complimentary full breakfast choice from our menu, the fruit is not meant to be the whole breakfast. Our windows certainly do close, this is Canada and windows not closing would be a problem. I hope the rest of their vacation has more sun and less rain and they are able to enjoy the Maritimes.
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This Inn is very, very rustic. It has the potential to be wonderful but needs alot of TLC to both interior and exterior. There were some problems with our reservations but they made it right. The owners seemed to be loved by their staff which says alot. The bedding was lovely but the futon was very worn and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: I thought I was getting a view of the Bay of Fundy, but only had a small view as other buildings wer...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leer850
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We go to St Martins annually for business, and stay regularly at Tidal Watch Inn. Whether I'm there solo or with my family, I know I will be treated like royalty with every little detail taken care of. The rooms are spacious, clean and cozy - the views and meals are fantastic - but it's the wonderful people there, owners and staff, that keep me coming back! Just booked another wonderful room, and looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Plan to do the Fundy Trail, experience the sea caves and have some chowder while you're here. Th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rain or shine the Tidal Watch Inn is a great place to stay! The rooms are cozy. Rudy and Kathy are very gracious hosts who want to make sure you enjoy your stay. We were fortunate enough to be there the night they served fresh lobster for dinner. Fabulous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gallagrrrr
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Tidal Watch Inn is an old home decorated in period pieces. The rooms are nicely furnished and comfortable. The owners and staff are very gracious and have lots of information to share about the history of the home, town, and natural wonders in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beorygun
Halifax & UK
Reviewed September 4, 2012

From the outside the place looked in need of a paint which worried me a little. We couldn’t find the car park at first so at first parked directly outside.The large parking lot is actually off the main road, just before turning.The gentleman was very friendly and helpful on arrival.
Having booked through an online site I was under the impression that all Captains Class rooms had balconies so initially was disappointed not to have one as I very much wanted to sit out and take in the view. The room we did have however was very nice, and the bathroom was enormous. There was a small view of the sea through one of the windows, and I’m sure we would have enjoyed listening to the waves with the windows open if there hadn’t been a surprisingly crazy amount of noise overnight (banging, fireworks, shouting), coming from nearby, really surprising as it seemed just a sleepy looking place. I’m sure this can’t be the norm.
We ate in the hotel. In all honesty, I wasn’t fussed over my meal but my partner enjoyed his. The waiter, a cheerful Cockney, was great, as was his wife at breakfast in the morning.
A beach is just a few steps away, but terribly stony and impossible to walk on. There was a stretch of grass but too near a house so we didn’t like to trespass on it.
The Inn is ideally situated for Fundy Park Trail which was fabulous. The St Martins harbour was beautiful to photograph both at high and low tide, and the St Martins caves are a short drive away from the Inn and we loved visiting them. Again, be careful to have the right footwear as very slippery, and bear in mind you have to walk through a little water to reach them. We also did some kayaking and the Inn was helpful in telling us where to go.
Overall, I’d say the Tidal Watch Inn seemed to be one of the better places to stay out of the choices in the area, friendly staff, clean elegant old building, close to the sea, but I think the newer, more expensive rooms in the separate unit across from the main house facing the sea are definitely the way to go if you like a bit more privacy and a view, but I do feel they are a little overpriced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Gardner Creek
Shadow Lawn Inn
Shadow Lawn Inn
#1 of 1 in Rothesay

Been to Tidal Watch Inn? Share your experiences!