“Wonderful Views with an excellent museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hopewell Rocks

and up
Hopewell Rocks Admission
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Hopewell Rocks is located along the Bay of Fundy, home of the highest tides in the world. It offers a unique natural experience of both high and low tides. Enjoy the multi-media exhibit in the Interpretive Centre, scenic walking trails and lookouts. Make sure you take the time to experience our guided tour and a warm meal. Entrance passes valid for two consecutive days.
Baltimore, MD
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Wonderful Views with an excellent museum!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Museum far surpassed our expectations. We got to hear and see a presentation by a ranger about the park including the lives of its bird inhabitants. We learned so much about the geological context of the Bay of Fundy and then got to experience the tides from the overlooks at the park.

Visited August 2013

• Polish first
Panama
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Can we add an additional "wonder" to the world”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

While shopping is my favorite physical exercise and past time, out day spent shivering and walking along the coast actually outworn my impulses to hit the banana republic outlet mall. Watch the tides! Guess what anatomical name this rock formation was given...according to our guide

Visited November 2013
Monroe, Georgia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Very Cool”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a fascinating experience. Be sure to check the tide tables and see it at both high and low tides. Cape Enrage is nearby - if the tides work out, see Hopewell Rocks at low tide and visit Cape Enrage (crazy beautiful) and then come back at high tide. The staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Visited October 2013
Waterloo, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Don't park in the parking lot in the evening, park on the road”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Certainly a worth-while natural wonder to visit, but our experience was a mix of the good and bad. I have some criticisms on how the park is operated.

There are some well organised aspects of the park: a high tide/low tide schedule is provided, and your admission is good for two days to allow a return visit. This is especially important as there is, of course, a few hours between low and high tide. I can't say whether it is better to see high or low tide first (it probably doesn't matter). We did high tide first. The park is fairly large, and there is enough to see here to last at least two hours (longer if the tide is low, as you can walk along the sea floor and view the impressive rock and cave formations). For this reason I wish we had given ourselves much more time for low tide. Certainly arrive well before the posted low tide time (especially if low tide is in the evening).

I suspect that most people view the 'flower-pot' rock formations as the quintessential Fundy tide experience, however there are two other must-see aspects of this area I would mention to those planning a trip. On the west-side of the park (near the entrance) there is a posted lookout over Daniel's Flats. This is best viewed at low-tide, where the shoreline recedes at an astonishing distance, revealing the underwater snaking course of a nearby river. It is a beautiful sight, and to me it most effectively conveys the scale of the famous Fundy tide. My other suggestion is to visit the town of Alma, about a 40 minute drive west of the park. Here you can view the tide in Alma's harbour, where local fishermen have to contend with their unique circumstance.

Despite all of what I mention above, there are aspects of this park that bothered me during my visit; one of which put our family in a fairly foul mood when we were rushed out of the park at 'closing' time. First, the park does feel a bit like a tourist trap. It's not the expense, nor the presence of gates, restaurants, or a gift shop (I understand that large amounts of people come to visit, and there has to be some amenities and 'crowd control'). It's the design of the park: to see the rocks and access the ocean floor, you can walk along the long path from the entrance of the park, or pay two dollars and take the shuttle. It's convoluted though; if they had designed the parking lot properly, the entrance would have been much closer to the main attraction, and there would be no need for a shuttle. As it is, you walk the whole length of the large parking lot, just to walk all the way back inside the park.

My biggest complaint is the lack of information about how and when the park 'closes'. When we visited, we parked in the parking lot, and expected that the park closed at 8pm. A sign at the top of the stairs that lead down to the ocean floor indicated that we could stay down there until 8pm. However, this is not the case. At 7:40, staff began coming around, asking where we parked. This was confusing; we parked in the parking lot, where else? This is when they told us that they close the gates for the parking lot at 8pm, so if we were parked in the lot, we had to get out quickly. So rather than enjoy the moment and reflect on the experience, we were herded out of the park and rushed to the parking lot. When we got up to the lot, we found out that the gates actually don't close at 8, so we were lied to just to have us rush out. Not a smooth way to operate a tourist attraction.

It get's worse... apparently, if you park just outside of the parking lot (on the road), you can stay as long as you want. They close the lot at '8pm' for reasons of liability. I have to say, what the heck is the point then? If we had known, we would have parked outside the gate, but there is no information about this.

It get's even worse... the website says "During the off-season, visitors may still enter the park, but must park their vehicle on the entrance road and walk in.". This includes entering the park after it closes. So, as they are ushering out people at 8pm who PAID to enter the park, people who did not pay and are parked on the road are entering after 8pm for FREE. I was told that we could simply move our vehicle out of the parking lot, park on the road, and re-enter. Well, the total time this would have taken, to walk from the ocean floor back up to the parking lot, leave the park, and to walk back in, would be easily an hour. We have four young children; that's not going to happen. What's more, the curt guides who rushed us off the beach never said this was even an option, as I could have run up and done this myself. When I asked why the park couldn't simply alter the closing time (to account for longer summer evenings), I was told by staff this wasn't possible. That's ridiculous; many operating parks close based on when the sun sets.

So, to re-cap and avoid the entirely backwards way this park operates, DO NOT park in the parking lot when viewing the tide in the evening. In fact, don't pay: wait till closing, and enter for free. This way your visit won't be soured by poor management.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank bensagle
canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Amazing!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Loved this area to visit and explore. Very cool place, good guides. Very neat place. Nice attraction to see, wear old shoes. Good gift shop and food area too.

Visited October 2013