Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages and Campground
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Close to the Hopewell Rocks, clean and affordable. I had made a reservation for two nights, but they only had me down for one. Just as well, since I wanted to change my plans, so one night was all I really needed. Their restaurant was pricey for the meal I had, so ate breakfast elsewhere. Room was clean, wifi handy. I would come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I will start with the positive. Great location in proximity to Hopewell Rocks. New paint and fairly new bath fixtures in our room. The furnishings are out dated, and need to be replaced. The bedding is gross. The worst part was the smell in the rooms. It was a combination of musty and the smell of Raid. At times the Berber carpet felt wet. If you have breathing problems do not stay here. The chocolate brown towels shed pills all over the place. House keeping was just a women with a bag of supplies and a bottle of Windex, a broom, and a dustpan. No housekeeping cart what so ever. I do not think anyone is a repeat customer. I cannot speak for the restaurant as the smell in there is bad too, and i just could not bring myself to eat there. This budget motel 91.00 per room in high season, but they should be charging 29.00 per room, to reflect the actual condition of the place.. They have it made, because there is very little competition in the

1  Thank Linda A
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay and found Gaskins. Upon arrival, the person I spoke to initially seemed very confused although I had already booked a campsite (for a motor home) and a cabin. I was informed that they would be close to each other.

This person then tried to give me the keys to someone else's cabin until another person came in who knew what was going on.

Our cabin and our campsite were at opposite ends of the campground (which I didn't mind because it is not very big). The cabin itself smelled very musty and mold like, though looked very cozy. Shower was awesome, and we had a big empty lot beside us (which was very beneficial for the kids). We also had a fire pit. The campground is located right on chocolate river and is a beautiful view, although there is no access to the river.

It served the purpose for the night, but I am not sure I would recommend it.

Note: if you get an omelette, it is made with cheese slices.

1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed August 4, 2013

See "Deplorable" below. I was also in that cottage at that time, and it was all that, plus more. The toilet was loose (yeah, our toilet rocked). The lock to the cottage door didn't work, i.e., if we were inside and we'd close the door, we'd be locked in, but if we were outside and we'd close it, we wouldn't be able to get in. So at night we'd leave it partly open and put the chain on it. They said there was WiFi, but there wasn't. The only good thing about that cottage was that we had a roof over our heads and there were no bed bugs - this time (see another review below about bed bugs). Oh, yes, there is a pool, and that was enjoyable. Otherwise, ugh, ugh, ugh. I'll bet they never get return customers.

Room Tip: Don't EVER stay here! The photos of the place are nice but, inside, the cottages are awful.
3  Thank Hendrika V
Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you decide to rent a cottage, pretend you're going camping. We were assigned to #5. There's nothing there. No kitchen, no dinnerware, to dishes, no cutlery. The bathroom was atorcious. Not cleaned in a long time. Toilet not properly installed and would not even flush bathroom tissue. Sink drained slowly, you could see all kinds of crap in the drain. Paint AND plaster peeling off one wall. Fridge in living area rusting on the outside (was not even plugged in when we got there) and very small in size. I could go on but you get the idea. $144 a night!!!!! Oh, and bring lots of mosquito repellant! And by the way, we tried to get a hold of the owner - he never showed up!

Room Tip: Maybe their motel rooms are better, but their cottages are deplorable.
3  Thank Vianen2013
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked the room through a tourist information site, I'll admit I chose it based on the name. The staff were very friendly on the phone and gave excellent directions. When I got there I was greeted with a smile, the room was large and clean. The next morning I had breakfast in the dining room, which was open at 7am, great for someone who likes to make a early start. I have a food allergy and when I explained it to the wait staff she immediately went to the kitchen and came back with several suggestions. The breakfast was very good and the wait staff was polite and friendly. All in all a good value for the price.
The only issue that I had was low water pressure in the shower.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at this motel for 1 night on our way to the Hopewell Rocks from P.E.I. The rooms on the back side of motel had great view but did smell musty. We chose to stay on front side as they didn't smell as musty. We were not able to sit out because of the Mosquitos. Room was clean, bedding was clean and bed was comfortable, fridge nice and cold. We ate in the restaurant and it was excellent. Employees were friendly and considerate. It's not the Ritz but for what you pay, it is quite alright.

Room Tip: Rooms on front side smell fresher.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages and Campground? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages and Campground

Address: 3471 Route 114, Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick E4H 2G4, Canada
Location: Canada > New Brunswick > Albert County > Hopewell Cape
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Hopewell Cape
Price Range: $84 - $95 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2 star — Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages and Campground 2*
Gaskins Chocolate River Motel has expanded. Come and stay with us in one of our twenty eight new motel rooms. Our guestrooms offer one queen sized bed or two queen sized beds while our family suites offer two queen sized beds as well as sofa beds to accommodate your needs. All of our rooms have a full private baths and are equipped with satellite TV, with 1/2 of them overlooking the Bay of Fundy. Enjoy a free breakfast for two guests while staying with us. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages and Campground reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Gaskin's Chocolate River Restaurant, Motel, Cottages And Campground Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick