“Whales, whales and more whales!”

Whales-n-Sails Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Sail with the whales of Canada's world famous Bay of Fundy. The waters around Grand Manan Island are home to many whales every summer from June to September. Lots of whales and seabirds and seals and sharks and great coastal scenery, too!
Bar Harbor, Maine
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Whales, whales and more whales!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This whale watch was one of the best my husband and I have ever been on! Out of a 5 hour ride, we spent approximately 3.5 hours with the whales! There were at least 10 finbacks, and more minkes than I could count. In addition, the sailboat was so quiet you could hear the whales breathe. It was an amazing experience, made even more enjoyable by the friendly crew, delicious chowder and hot chocolate - that was included in the price - and small number of other passengers on the boat. This is a sailboat ride, so extra layers, sunscreen, and rain gear are highly recommended.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank KaitMul

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Whales are awesome”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were on the first tour of 2013 and had a great time.

The staff was friendly and were experts in their field. They took us out and were really interesting as they told us about the various animals we saw.

We saw seals, many birds, and two kinds of whales. The humpbacks were incredible. Our captain got us so close we could almost touch them.

On the return trip we were served fish chowder that was to die for.

At first I thought the price was a little high but after the tour, I would gladly go again.

Thanks for an amazing time.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TheNinjaJedi
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“We really did see whales!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

At the start i despaired of actually seeing anything because although there were sightings along the route, I didn't seem to be able to focus in time to see the head or tail before it was below the waves! Fortunately, Captain Sarah just keeps going - they stay in touch with fishing vessels etc to get a course for sightings - and we did see several more. This time I too could thoroughly enjoy the surfacings & blows of these large mammals! I wish I had used the zoom function on my camera, though! At the start of the trip we had to stow our backpacks etc down below, but once underway, we were free to go down (the head (toilet) is down below) and retrieve snacks etc from our baggage. You can go down & request a hot drink once underway. We were served a very tasty & welcome fish chowder on the way back - they do provide hunks of crusty bread for dipping, but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra roll or bagel of your own! Everyone joins in with calling out sightings & we ended up seeing quite a few minke & humpbacks plus huge sunfish. There are laws that prevent the boats from coming to close to the whales, so if you aren't interested in taking pictures, a pair of binoculars would enhance the experience for you. I would definitely do this again!
One thing to note, when we left in the late morning, it was still high enough tide that we walked DOWN the gangplank from the carpark area to the dock but on our return at low tide in mid-afternoon the gangplank was really at a steep angle & we were climbing up. I did notice an elderly lady waiting until the end with her grand-daughter & I expect this climb might have been difficult. If anyone has difficulty with inclines, it might be a good idea to check with them first & see if any trips occur when the tide is opposite ie so that you are going down when starting out & more level upon return.
On this same note - the toilet as I noted is down below so this is not for anyone who cannot climb backwards down the ladder unless you can hold your bladder for about 5 hours.

Visited August 2012