“Nice but pricey food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Manan
Inn at Whale Cove Cottages
Ranked #3 of 5 Grand Manan B&B and Inns
Thame, United Kingdom
“Nice but pricey food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We ate in the restaurant and the food was interesting and nice, but really quite expensive for what we got. I would not recommend the restaurant for children. Better to go to Sailor's Landing for a family meal!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank caskconditionedgirl

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Wonderful views and good hiking right from the lodge. Trails are of average difficulty though the rocky beach is a bit of a challenge.
Best feature of our stay were the meals which were exceptional and pleasantly served.

Room Tip: Sally"s attic is best occupied by patrons of modest stature as the dormers restrict full headro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank codfish2016
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We've been back to this charming inn five times now and have stayed in various flats, rooms and cottages - all of which are superb! The proprietor Laura Buckley works very hard at what she does - and on top of it all, she is the island's best chef! Cottages are self-catering, but it is always fabulous to go to the dining room for a "treat night." I actually dream about Laura's bouillabaisse combining the local catch(es) of the day!
Her key lime pie is my new obsession. And the seafood antipasto, and the crabcakes...and, and, and... there is always something fabulous being served!
Everything about her facility is considered for comfort and ease of guests. Towels and sheets are top-notch. The kitchen is well kitted out, too. We love it even if the weather doesn't cooperate - we just light a fire in the fireplace and get cozy with a book. The breezes and views are heavenly. Inn at Whale Cove is very quiet and respectful of privacy. Now I just hope we can get accommodation next time we visit - I can't say enough good things!

Room Tip: We love Orchardside and have a fondness for them all.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My Aunt and I stayed 2 nights in the Coopershop Cottage...and I wish I could stay a whole Summer! The perfect blend of history and convenience..and a view to take your breath away. The cottage has so many thoughtful touches..cubbies with books for reading,,a reading light over your bed, bedding that makes you feel like you are sleeping in a cocoon under the eves of this amazing cottage. There were hidden touches in every corner...I opened the antique writing desk to find, writing tablets, take, colored pencils, drawing paper..and tons of little items...all there waiting to be used.
I did not get to eat at the INN, as I had meals with family who live on the Island but I hear the food is excellent.
I am posting pictures...but they don't begin to capture the spirit of the place and the sense of total relaxation you feel when you enter this cottage.. I was sad to leave...for many reasons and my only complaint..is it was not a long enough stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Elizabeth C
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I just spent a delightful although too short weekend escape here. We stayed in the cottage one-bedroom, "Bungalow" which has an awesome view of the cove from the deck made comfortable with Adirondack chairs. In the afternoon and evening it's a peaceful place to sip a glass of wine whist listing to the birds and in the morning enjoy your coffee watching the sunrise. There are great trails to explore. The Bungalow is well-equipped with a full kitchen, the bedroom is comfortable with nice bedding and the bathroom although small is adequate and supplied with locally made soap. It was so warm on this first weekend in June that we had no need to light the stone fireplace, well stocked with wood. It would be very cozy on a chilly evening though. Dinner in the main Inn was scrumptious - we both had bouillabaisse loaded with seafood including lots of lobster. The desserts are not to be missed and our starters were yummy too. All the little decor touches related to the island make this a charming place to stay and dine. We plan to come back later this season for at least a four night stay.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the Inn also and there are other cottages with two and four bedrooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gordellen
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Last summer my friends and I planned a painting holiday on Grand Manan and rented two cottages at the Inn at Whale Cove. I have stayed there before - in the main lodge - and this was the first time staying at the cottages. We rented Knoll View and The Coopershop. One was modern and perched on a hill with panoramic views, the other, a converted coopershop, felt like an old seaside cottage. They were wonderful.
It's hard to describe this property as it is very different from anywhere else I have stayed. Arowhon Pines in Ontario attempts this same sort of rusticity mixed with comfort and great food, but it is much, much more expensive and frankly not as relaxed as it pretends to be.
The owner and chef of Inn at Whale Cove, Laura, has managed to preserve the charm and history of the property and its cottages, while ensuring that creature comforts are well taken care of. The views are magnificent and the rustic history of the cottages is very appealing, and they are clean and comfortable.
The staff, mostly local women from the same family, are friendly, competent and unflappable. Chef Laura's meals are fresh and scrumptious, and you can arrange for packed lunches as well which are so very good.
There is a level of ease and almost-instant familiarity here which I've not experienced elsewhere. Imagine a beautiful historical compound where you can sit on a colourful chair overlooking the sea after a delicious hot breakfast or dinner. Or chat with friends over wine until the wee hours by the hearth of a very old parlour, with books and mementos that feel like family treasures.
I have been to Grand Manan Island many times and will not stay anywhere but the Inn at Whale Cove from now on. It feels like the kind of secret you don't want to share, except that wouldn't be fair to those whose efforts have made the place so enchanting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank KateJW
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I still think of standing on the deck of our little cottage, with coffee in hand, wathcing the sea and knowing I was truly someplace special. The biking on the island , along with the fantastic meals at the inn, were a perfect blend of activity and relaxation. What a joy to find such a perfect place. We would definitely return there, and stay longer than our two nights. I highly reccomend this Inn....but I shouldn't so it can be a cosy quiet place to rest.

Room Tip: We were there before 2012, but there isn't an opition to tell when. This place is timeless, so i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Inn at the Wharf
Harbour Tide Inn
Harbour Tide Inn
#1 of 1 in Blacks Harbour

Been to Inn at Whale Cove Cottages? Share your experiences!