“A nice and clean place to lay your head down.”
Review of Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Manan
Surfside Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Manan
Saint John, Canada
“A nice and clean place to lay your head down.”
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I thought Surfside Motel was nice, the room was small but it was just easier to see the television. There was a fridge and a microwave, which you don't see much in hotels and it makes your stay nicer. It was extremely clean and the sheets smelled fresh, the lady at the front desk was nice and they have a nice black lab. I liked it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank letsbefriends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fredericton
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was my third visit to The Surfside Motel and I will continue to return. The owners, Kirk and Holly, are very nice people. If there is something you need that is not in your room they will go out of their way to make sure you have it. The friendly cleaning lady does an excellent job keeping the rooms spotless. I like room 23, it is facing the water, the bed is comfortable and it has it's own front step which gives it a very homey feeling. Someone wrote the motel is outdated, well obviously it is not brand new, but the owners are fixing it up a bit at a time. To us the friendly, welcoming, and relaxing atmosphere is more important than the decor. I also love that the beach is right there, and so few people at it that it feels like your own private beach. Gallaways Restaurant is just next door and it has great food. But The Back Porch Cafe is just up the road and it is excellent. It is a nice, friendly outside cafe that has awesome seafood chowder. The prices are really good there also. The motel also has a very sweet dog, Zoe. I do not like dogs as they are my phobia, but i love Zoe. She is the most unthreatening dog I have met. All she wants is to be petted. She also loves to eat as she is a black lab, but tourists have fed her too much and that has not been healthy for her. (No pizza for Zoe, please). I am suppossed to return next August but I don't want to wait that long so it will probably be sooner.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cube
Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This is not our typical accomodations, but this is not our typical trip either. By most standards we would consider this a bit primitive, the dated 70's decor, glue down carpet, uncomfortable bed, low thread count linens.....but here it seemed to fit right in. The island is a basic fishing village, not hit with commercialism. No Starbucks, no McD's no shopping malls, etc.....all good. So to have a plush place to stay may detract somewhat from the experience I suppose.

Regardless of how we rate this hotel, keep in mind that it will stay as the #1 simply because it is the ONLY hotel/motel on the island. There are several B&B's however, which from the outside seemed charming, at least. The nice people that run the Surfside are genuinely nice people, so saying what I did above was not easy to do, I just want to let future travellers what to expect. I don't want to take anything away from the owners, they are great people. Wish more were like them outside of Manan. (Almost everyone there is very very nice.)

It is located just 1/2 a mile from the ferry drop off point. I suggest bringing your car because the island is beautiful. Observing the high and low tides are amazing, and the SwallowTail Lighthouse, Seal Cove, and cliffs along the otherside of the island are too far to walk. (The main road is about 18 miles long)

We had a view of the water which was very nice. The beach is pretty large, and continues to grow as the tide recedes. We enjoyed finding sea glass among the rocks. Although not abundant, it is there. Since the locals discovered that you can sell sea glass to tourists, it has become harder to find on the island. This may be your best area to find any. (Don't tell anyone). Lol. Also, the wildflowers were EVERYWHERE, so bring a vase with you and pick a beautiful bouquet.

Not sure how much this helps, but if you have a specific question, just ask. I don't think we'll stay here again, but I'll still recommend it. It was affordable, and would be perfect if you are travelling with kids....they'd much prefer this to some B&B. (I know I would have).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kindredspirits
Mid Coast, Maine
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Located in North Head on the island of Grand Manan, the Surfside Motel is a nice, clean and affordable accomodation that overlooks the ocean and has its own beach. We had to leave our vehicle in Black's Harbour, and the owners picked us up at the ferry, providing shuttle service to and from the Motel. The inn keeper, Holly, is pleasant, accomodating and helpful, while the motel dog, Zoe, is great with kids!

• Liked — Right on the beach! Close to Whale Watch/Kayak Adventures
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ski_bunny79
#1 of 1 in Blacks Harbour
Deer Island Inn
Deer Island Inn
#1 of 3 in Deer Island

Been to Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!