“Wonderful five days at a friendly, comfortable motel.”
Review of Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Manan
Surfside Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Manan
Pennsylvania
“Wonderful five days at a friendly, comfortable motel.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had two experiences with this motel in that our first four days were in the cottage/efficiency apartment but our last day was in a room with just one double bed. We came to the island for the natural beauty, the birds and the whales and were not disappointed. There are no stop lights or condos on the island.
The cottage was a pleasant surprise. It was very tastefully decorated, spacious and included the utensils needed to cook in the small kitchen. From the window at our kitchen table we could look out at the ocean. With the windows open the sea breeze was refreshing.
We had only been able to get reservations for the four days in the cottage and had to move to the small motel room for our remaining night....the only room left. The room was clean but dated. The microwave and refrigerator made it possible for us to continue our habit of cooking our meals. While we would not have wanted to spend several days in the small room it did serve us well for one night.

Room Tip: If we would go back we would choose the cottage/efficiency unit. They are spacious and have a great...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 786Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Grand Manan is not Bar Harbor or Hampton Beach and does not resemble (other than spectacular natural beauty) any of a number of over-populated resort areas. It is what it is - an island in the Bay of Fundy that time sort of left behind. If you know that going in, you will be pleasantly surprised by the area and, if you stay there, the Surfside Motel as well.

A number of the other reviews complain about older decor, limited services, a lack of "resort" amenities, etc. But all of Grand Manan is like that and the Surfside fits right in with this. Yes, the rooms are dated, with wood paneling, older carpeting, basic beds, and limited channels on a tube type television. But if you go to Grand Manan, that sort of rusticness is what you will find everywhere. A Holiday Inn or Best Western would simply seem out of place.

The Surfside does have all you need, and even includes free Wi-Fi for those who need an outlet to email, facebook, etc. But you would be wise to use the motel as it is intended - a place to sleep before and after exploring Grand Manan. You want to cook? There are gas grills and picnic tables on the expansive lawn that leads to the beach. Dishes? You get a small wash basin with plates, cups, utensils AND a bottle of dish soap so you can clean up after yourself. Coffee? The front office puts on a pot in the morning. If you want a cup later in the day, instant coffee and hot water are available. In short, no frills and friendly down-to-earth people.

We did not have the opportunity to meet Holly, Kirk, or Zoe. We did, however, have the extreme pleasure of dealing with with Carly, who takes care of things after hours. She was as helpful as anyone could expect, and made our stay that much more enjoyable.

Before you dismiss the Surfside based on your perceived need for memory foam mattresses, flat screens with 100 channels, and breakfast buffets, first think about what else is available on Grand Manan and why you have decided to go there in the first place. I gave the Surfside a 4 out of 5 because, yes, there are things they could do to spruce the place up and perhaps replace some of the aging furniture. But that's just minor stuff. The real charm lies in the island itself and how the Surfside blends into this just right. On Grand Manan you will marvel at the high cliffs, the low tides, and everything else in the middle.

A hint - take your car. While the island is small, don't think you'll be able to get around on foot. And there are no taxis or car / scooter / bike rentals that I came across.

Thanks again Carly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank bgrchip
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location and easy access to the beach. Gorgeous views of the water, island offshore and sunsets. Excellent grounds for having large groups visit, complete with picnic tables, barbecues, and extra chairs. What makes this motel special, though, is Holly and Kirk (the innkeepers- sceond to none, and so accommodating), and the very friendly, efficient staff. ) What more could one ask for on this idyllic island of paradise. We will be back- again and again!! Thanks for helping to make our 'family reunion' a success, Holly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary H
Maine
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was expensive for what it was, rooms from the 70s , cheap furniture that was in hard shape, thin walls so you could hear everything in the next room, . It was a non smoking room but apparently the room next to ours wasn't and I could smell cigarette smoke all night, I thought about going out and sleeping in my car, but stayed and never slept at all, it was the worst motel I've ever stayed in and it was $84 , the view was good though,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Susan O
McAlpin
Reviewed October 27, 2011

At the ferry dock they said the motel was "just down the road". It's about 2 miles, so a good hike, although they will collect you if you call. And if you like hiking it's not a bad idea to leave your car on the mainland and save the cost of the ferry. The room itself is very 1950's; small with dark panelling, a small TV and small bathroom. But it is clean. And there's a fridge, micro and plastic basin with cutlery and dishes so you can get munchies at the local grocery. Outside there are lawn chairs for enjoying the view but little else. My big complaint was the noise. Even though we were the only guests we were in a room next to the office and could hear, over the baseball game on TV, the sounds of our host strumming her guitar. I imagine it would be quite noisy if the place were fully occupied. That having been said, after the tourist season, there is only one other place to stay; a B&B, so this could be your only choice and it's worth suffering through to spend some time on the island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view as half of them face the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chicksfly000
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Surfside is a simple motel on a semi-isolated island. It is not a resort or a Hilton or an establishment that advertises or provides a pampered stay. What it is: close to the ferry, good value, self-started fun, easy access to Grand Manan and all it has to offer. It does not have the type of rooms that you stay in all day. If you are coming to Grand Manan you are there to get out and see things and do activities.
The rooms do have a fridge and a micro wave, a TV with basic cable and a clock radio. Air conditioning is via the Grand Manan night air that could very well include fog and/or a cool sea breeze. Bring a fleece and/or a jacket as the Bay of Fundy may produce some fog and/or rain during your stay. Don't forget the sunscreen as the sun reflecting off the water or through the fog still has the power to burn.
It is a wonderful place to stay as long as you are not expecting something that Grand Manan does not have to offer which is a resort of any level. Grand Manan is a make your own fun vacation. There are many hikes, walks, whale whatching, bird watching, museum going, sit back and relax thing to do on the island.
Come prepared and you will have a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view or a housekeeping unit
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I had originally planned to spend four nights at this Motel but I left after just two. My room for one person came to 83 tax in. For a decidedly small room with cheap furnishings and not many channels on the TV that was not really such a bargain. There was a small fridge and a microwave in the room, and BBQ outside the room, which was a good thing since the restaurants on Grand Manan all seemed to close at around 8pm, or at the very latest, 9pm. I could not find a grocery store on the island to buy BBQ items. The biggest meat product I could find was bacon. Hey anyone for BBQed bacon? I don't think so. The Surfside Motel is a large property on the water and it has its own large beach. The beach has sand so full of rocks and other natural debri that if you walk on it in bare feet chances are you will get many cuts on your feet, so swimming at the beach is maybe not such a great idea. For me that more or less rendered the entire concept of staying at the 'Surfside Motel' pretty much a waste of time. I was also bitten by some kind of bug, probably in my Motel room, & probably when I was asleep, right through my pants. I got the largest welt I have ever had which did not go away for a week. The Motel Management gave me several wakeup calls on the phone in my room as per my request, but they didn't seem comfortable accepting my request for a wakeup call initially. The Manager of the Motel let me use their washer/dryers so I could do my laundry. Unfortunately their dryer didn't work so well so I had T-shirts drying all over my small Motel room on my last night there. The island is about 8 miles by 2 miles & is 19 miles from the mainland of Canada & seems to have a population of about 500 souls not including summer travellers. It is closer to the USA than to Canada. Fishing seems to be the main occupation on Grand Manan (they also have a hospital on the island) ...interestingly, there is nowhere to buy fish on the island except in a restaurant-that had a female chef who looked about 16 years old, when I was there, and that restaurant also closed at 8pm. I probably will not go back to Grand Manan. I would not really recommend the Surfside Motel. I had two of the most boring nights ever there.There are no bars on Grand Manan either.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Blacks Harbour
Deer Island Inn
Deer Island Inn
#1 of 3 in Deer Island

Been to Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!