“Great for a celebration”
Review of Deja Bu

Deja Bu
Ranked #15 of 32 Restaurants in Caraquet
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pickering, Canada
“Great for a celebration”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was a wonderful dining experience. The menu offered lots of choices and the server was very helpful in explaining the different items. We had lots of questions and she answered them all in a very friendly, pleasant manner. We were not disappointed with any of our selections. It is a little pricey to eat here, but it is worth it. A great place to celebrate a special occasion. The chef and owner, Robert, came out to chat briefly with us as we were finishing our meal. That shows pride in his restaurant.

Qc
“Never again: very expensive for very little food”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a disappointment this place was. Remember this is a wine bar: we first ordered a bottle of rosé wine and they didn't have it in stock anymore. As starters we ordered the trio of oysters ($8.25 for 3 oysters). My husband ordered a chowder ($16.75) as a main course but the portion was really tiny (about a cup). I ordered their famous lobster poutine. It was way too salty and it didn't have a lot of lobster.
I was really looking forward to try this restaurant but unfortunately it is too expensive for what is in your plate. However our server was very nice. When we left the place we were starving!!

• Visited July 2013
Bathurst
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Forgotten”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was very excited to try Deja Bu as it had come highly recommended by friends. I was delighted when I was able to get a reservation only a day before my visit. Upon first entry the restaurant met my expectations in terms of atmosphere and decor. A big thumbs up. The server was pleasant and helpful as we made our choices for dinner and drink. As it is touted as a wine bar/restaurant there was a huge selection of wine (almost overwhelming). As we scoured the pages and pages of wines, we finally decided on a modestly priced Pinot from Oregon. The server left to find the bottle in the cellar only to return to tell us that they no longer had it available. (First strike... if you don't have it, don't have it on the menu). However, this is still forgivable. We found another bottle that we thought we should try. We divided the wine up amongst the four of us and slowly sipped away at it. The wine itself was impressive, but as time past our glasses emptied and we waited for our server to return and take our order for another bottle. For the next 45 minutes we sat with empty glasses in a wine bar as the server was in and out of our section several times, without so much as a "can I get you anything" or even a glance at our table. At this point someone in our party waved down the server and asked if we could get another bottle of the same wine (not wanting to make it confusing and considering the first bottle was on the mark). She indicated that she would attempt to find another bottle. So we waited again, for another 20 minutes at least. At this time we decided perhaps we would have more luck if someone took the bottle to the bar to help them out. After another 20 minutes the server returned telling us there was not another bottle but the sommelier would go select and equivalent in the cellar. So to be clear... we sat in a wine bar/restaurant for over and hour and a half without so much as a drop of wine in our glasses. I was disappointed to say the least. We did eventually get another bottle of wine and the meal that came was very tasty, but but this point my experienced was marred by the lack of quality service or iota of attention to customers. I would like to return to give them another chance, but I'm afraid my evening might be ruined again by the subpar service.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LidaMB
Cavendish, Canada
“Excellent meal and superb service”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We read about this restaurant in Progress magazine and since we were visiting in the area, we thought we would give it a try. We were very impressed. They have taken the food we all know and love and ramped up the experience.

I had French onion soup for starters and although I usually like more cheese, this one was the best ever as it also had duck confit in it. The taste was fabulous. I followed the soup by the shepherd's pie which is made with lamb and it was superb. My husband had the chowder which was perfect and the rib eye crusted with local cheese which was cooked exactly as he likes it. There is a great wine list, better than most fine dining establishments. Our server was very knowledgeable about every detail on the menu, was pleasant, fun and attentive without being a disturbance. Just right! The place was busy and since we were there for a relaxing evening, the pace of service was perfect. Kudos!

montreal
“The best in Acadie!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This restaurant should definetly be in your trip itineray! Probably the best in New Brunswick! The staff is kind, efficient and know their product!! Robert, the chef owner is one of a kind! The food is to die for and the wine selection (mostley private import) is very impressive! Sit at the bar, let the cook impress you with his techniques and the amazing products he has!! Defenetly the best night we had all summer by far!