“Interesting piece of US and Canadian history”

Roosevelt Campobello International Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk in the footsteps of the Roosevelts, visit Franklin's Beloved Island. The Summer Home of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. His 34-room cottage has been preserved as a museum telling the story of his early life before he became President of the United States. Preserved by the U.S. and Canada. Open daily through Canadian Labor Day. Free admission.
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Interesting piece of US and Canadian history”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We visit Maine every summer and for years I have wanted to make the drive to Campbello Island. This year we did it! I love historical sites so I really enjoyed it but I can't say that for the whole family. It is a long drive from the Bar Harbor area and I'm not sure it was worth the drive, especially with three teenagers. There is little to do on the island other than East Quoddy Lighthouse, which was cool except for the fog (the purpose of the lighthouse!) and the Roosevelt complex. The first floor of the cottage was accessible but not the 2nd floor which is a primary reason why FDR didn't return after the onset of polio. The island had three 'restaraunts'.
Overall, a fun trip that you need your passport for but pretty far from the typical vacation spots in Maine.

3 Thank gnj3

central Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful and historical area”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I loved my brief visit to New Brunswick and the Campobello park and visitor center was a major part of that. What beautiful grounds and such nice people! Nearly every employee we came in contact with spoke to us and made us feel welcome--not just "nice day" stuff but actually asking how we perceived the park, etc.

charlotte, north carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“should have planned ahead next time”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had limited time in Lubec and went to Campobello for the day. We drove all around the island. When we really should have just stayed in Compobello near the visitors center. This where most of the hikes and scenery are located. As a result we really didn't have time to do the hikes we wanted.

2 Thank boomernation
New England, Novi Anglia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Varied activities and worth visiting”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I did a couple of the very interesting self-guided nature walks and also visited the Roosevelt homes. I regret that I wasn't able to go to the Eleanor (Roosevelt) Tea they hold daily at 3 PM in one of the houses.

Sterling, Virginia
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“Interesting history here and beautiful scenery”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I came over from Lubec for a few hours one day. Walked through the visitor center and very large home there. I also walked a trail while I was there. I saw many things to photograph and saw very few people, in the house and on the trail. It was very peaceful and relaxing and gave another glimpse into a the personal life of a past President. Very interesting stop.

Visited July 2011