“good location”
Review of Cliffside Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alma
Cliffside Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alma
Reviewed September 21, 2011

overlooks harbour,suite was great with deck,not much in the town but whats there,we thought food was good,Fundy Nat'l park is 2mins.Tide is unbelievable. HopewellRocks about 35 mins away.Seen a local fox, at nite in yard.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vicsdahlias

Reviewed July 29, 2011

As you might be able to tell by my reviews so far, I tend to review the places that stick out in my mind the most. The Cliffside Suites would be one of them.

The weekend started off by the warm and welcoming staff who just seemed amazing right off the bat. We went down to the room and were 1) amazed by the size and layout of the room (might be that I'm used to a standard hotel layout) and 2) the amazing view of the entire city and the Bay of Fundy.

The feeling of the room that we stayed in (Matthew's Head Suite) was that we never wanted to leave the room. The view from each of the windows were wonderful and rejuvenating that we found ourselves restless to come back to the room at all points of the weekend. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with Alma (as we had a great and peaceful time there), it was just that we enjoyed it that much.

We had driven around Alma to test out the views of the other places that we were thinking of staying at; none even compared to the Cliffside Suites.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank briabeaude
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights in the Harborview Suite as part of a week long holiday in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. There were some amazing experiences on this trip, but our stay at Cliffside was not one to fill us with wonder and delight.

The view is exactly as advertised - absolutely stunning. The property is very attractive with beautiful landscaping around the entrance and a gorgeous overlook of the town of Alma and the Bay of Fundy. But if you take away the view (which the fog did for one full day), the hospitality is lacking.

Firstly, there was the trick of finding the place. No two signs were the same, so there wasn't anything consistent to look for as we made our way up the steep hillside to the inn. Several turns are not marked at all, and we took every bad turn possible before finally locating the destination. There was never a confirmation email with directions after we booked our room, and I had the sense that we were intruding on our hosts. Once we knew where we were going, we still missed the turn because the entry to the suites is poorly marked.

We arrived to discover that the town of Alma was on a boil notice, meaning that water had to be boiled in order to be fit for consumption. I realize that this was beyond the control of the owners, but it would have been nice to have been notified prior to our arrival (it had been in effect for nearly a month) and provided with bottled water for making coffee/tea and brushing teeth.

Check-in was less than stellar. The wife greeted me at the door, took my information, and told me where to park. She did not ask if we had any questions, did not offer any information about the local area, and did not give any details about the property. Had there been a comprehensive booklet of some sort in the room, this might have been appropriate, but the information provided in the room was scattered, poorly organized, and incomplete. There were some older restaurant menus, but no indication of where these places were located relative to the suites. Phone numbers did not include an area code (necessary for dialing from a cell phone), there was frequently no address listed, and the house phone never once worked for us during our stay. There were three remote controls for the television, satellite, and DVD player, but there was once again a lack of instruction or comprehensive written directions to make it possible to use these. The book in the room listed only a few of the available channels on the satellite, making it an exercise in frustration and futility to attempt to watch a program.

This particular suite is at the end of the building and has the least direct view of the Bay. There was a lovely porch off of the room, but in order to get access to it (because it was locked out of hallway that connects with the owners' home) one must go out into the rain before ducking back under cover.

The fact that the suites include a kitchenette leads one to believe that this is a place that you might want to hang your hat for several nights, but there was a real lack of places to put that hat away. The addition of one chest of drawers would do wonders for making it possible to settle in and feel at home, rather than pile up bags and belongings and need to step over everything to get to a chair.

I suppose I should be grateful that the small touches were not part of the package, because it might have resulted in a heftier cost for the suite. Value for the dollar, this is a great find. The view is absolutely priceless, and made up for many of the other bits. But I don't get the impression that running an inn is a labor of love for these two, it seems more of a business venture.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank HarpGirl207
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My daughter & I were so happy to discover this stunning treasure--the Cliffside Suites--nestled on a hillside overlooking the Bay of Fundy & the quaint village of Alma, New Brunswick! The owners were so gracious & accommodating. Our Herring Cove Suite was refreshingly clean & modern. The porch as well as the suite windows magnificently capture the view. The bathroom is truly a spa. Although were were not at the suite for the afternoon "high tide" in the Bay of Fundy, we made a point of waking up in the middle of the night to appreciate this unique experience. We loved our relaxing stay!

Room Tip: Stunning view from any suite!
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I have been going to Cliffside Suites for our anniversary for the past 5 years....When I step into the room, I just leave all my worries at the door...It is THE most relaxing place I have ever been...We have no desire to try something new...This is it for us....The Matthew's Head suite is out absolute favorite, but i wouldn't miss out if that room is taken...Take any room you can get and you won't be sorry.....A lot of people wrote about not having food nearby.....There are plenty of places to pick up a lobster and the rooms have utensils for eating them.....Buy a loaf of french bread, pack a salad and some wine and you have yourself a wonderful meal with a romantic view.........love it....can't wait until we go again this summer......

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed here for three nights, but wished it were fewer. We were in the smallest of the three rooms - the Harvorview, which is off to the side and attached to what appears to be the basement/hallway of the owner's living space (dog barking, phone ringing, chatter, etc.). The bed is quite uncomfortable, only one window opens along the front, and the room is quite small.

On the positive side, the view of the Bay is incredible and it is a very quick drive into the Fundy Park for hiking. Other reviews for the other rooms have been much more positive, so I can only suppose our review would have been better if we stayed in a different room.

Side note: Would highly recommend the Octopus' Garden Cafe in Alma for coffee, soup, fresh bread, and the lemon and fig bars. The staff there is incredible and the food was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caustra
Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband, teenage daughter and I stayed here this month for 2 nights. We were in the smallest unit - Harborview. We had a cot and Queen (I think) - whatever it was big enough. The suite was just a tiny bit small for the 3 of us but it was the only one available. We had an incredible view and enjoyed eating pizza for dinner and sticky buns for breakfast on the deck and yard. While I was eating a sticky bun, a hummingbird flew back and forth over my head and then hovered at eye level about a foot a way. I think it wanted the sticky bun!

I've read in other reviews that people complained about the noise. I didn't think that was a problem at all in this unit - and I hate noise. You could hear people walking upstairs but that was only during the day - it would be no different if you were in a hotel - or a home. At night and early morning there was no sound whatsoever. We also couldn't hear the other people visiting the hotel because I think this suite isn't right next to the other suites but is next to part of the owner's basement??? Not sure - but it was very quiet and we almost felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

The owners seemed very friendly. If you are traveling in this area, I highly recommend staying here!!!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family